Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 1/8/2024 1:18:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin]
Took this out recently from getting it back from the builder. Put a mag or two through it, zero malfunctions but extremely overgassed. Installed a KNS piston and took it back out yesterday. This kept happening while trying to adjust the piston. Seemed to do it with both a lot of gas, and with little gas. I believe i had more issues with a full mag than empty. I only brought 1 magazine and I am unsure if it's the same mag I originally had zero failures with.

You can see it picked up a new round which is nearly chambered, but the little edge on the front of the carrier has also picked up a round and ran it into the reciever. Attachment Attached File

Update post below
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 4:02:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#1]
It's stripping 2 rounds meaning the magazine or rounds are sitting too high?

Might make sense why it's doing it with a full mag, all the pressure it pushing them up?

Lips are stretched/messed up?

Bet someone on here knows for sure, maybe they'll reply
Link Posted: 1/8/2024 5:43:42 PM EDT
[#2]
I'd suspect the magazine. I'd try another mag first.
Link Posted: 1/9/2024 11:10:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Is that a live round in the chamber or a spent round?
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:29:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GRMGR1:
Is that a live round in the chamber or a spent round?
View Quote

Live
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:36:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Extractor condition?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 7:51:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Had this same malfunction multiple times with a proven reliable 556 AK.  Was 100% the magazine in that case.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 2:31:07 PM EDT
[#7]
What do you look for in the magazine that indicates stretched feed lips? Is there a measurement you need to verify or is it a visible sign? I have a bunch of surplus magazines and few have feeding issues at the end of the magazine and I would like to be able to check them. Could it be a mag spring issue, or just rough inside magazine finish/dirt?
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 2:17:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Sgt_Fury:
What do you look for in the magazine that indicates stretched feed lips? Is there a measurement you need to verify or is it a visible sign? I have a bunch of surplus magazines and few have feeding issues at the end of the magazine and I would like to be able to check them. Could it be a mag spring issue, or just rough inside magazine finish/dirt?
View Quote

In your case I would look at this first. As far as the other, visual inspection and you could measure/compare to known good magazines.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 7:06:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mk4dubbin] [#9]
I was able to aquire 2 new production galil rock and lock mags. I shot a hundred rounds or so of some reman junk and had 0 malfunctions.

KNS piston tamed this beast beautifully
Link Posted: 4/16/2024 11:40:18 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mk4dubbin:
I was able to aquire 2 new production galil rock and lock mags. I shot a hundred rounds or so of some reman junk and had 0 malfunctions.

KNS piston tamed this beast beautifully
View Quote
Glad you found your issue.  If I ever see this, I'll know what I am looking at.  Thank you.
Link Posted: 4/26/2024 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#11]
A different mag may have fixed the symptom, but the root cause is a sharp edge or bur on your bolt.

See pic.  That corner edge needs a very slight radius on it to prevent it from dragging the #2 round forward.

Tony

Page AK-47 » Galil & Valmet Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Top Top