Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/28/2024 10:51:23 AM EDT
I have two guns specifically set up for night fighting with IR lasers and my helmet mounted PVS14.

They both have A2 flash hiders.  As expected, there is a bit of a flash signature.

I’m debating getting a suppressor vs just going with a Smith Vortex.  From a pure flash suppression standpoint, is a suppressor that much better?

I know a can will be quieter.  But, I’m only interested in reducing my flash signature and would rather avoid all the cost of a suppressor if the Vortex is close in performance.

Any opinions?
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:09:19 AM EDT
[#1]
Depending on barrel length a suppressor will suppress almost all the flash and exceed a flash suppressor.  The Smith Vortex and many others like it do a good job but you can often get a splash of flash even with them.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#2]
It depends on the load too. There is still flash from a suppressor if all the powder isn’t burnt before the bullet exits.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 11:27:13 AM EDT
[#3]
It also depends on the suppressor. Some are better at flash mitigation than others. Shorter cans typically exhibit more flash but there are factors as well.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:25:34 PM EDT
[#4]
The JP 3-prong flash hider is very effective if you don’t mind the length.

Many suppressors surprisingly need 3-prong front caps to knock down flash.  A lot depends on barrel length & ammo.

Trying out a Vortex or JP is cheap and they are always useable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2024 2:42:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Recce 5K flash reduction. Muzzle brake 1st shot, R5K for next 3; on 11.5” SBR. #guns #Recce5k

Recce 5K flash reduction on an 11.5” with some hand loads. The production Recce 5K does better than my prototype. A different rifle (14.5”), but here is the Griffin 2.25” 3 prong flash hider in action:

Griffin Taper Mount Stealth Flash hider (2.25”) flash test. Pretty effective! #guns #shooting #cool
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#6]
I find that with most 5" silencers on 5.56 rifles, the high end flash hiders do better than the silencers, especially on the first round. The 7" silencers do about the same as the flash hiders, but they occasionally cook off some powder and have a bigger flash. It is only the low flash 9" (large for 5.56) silencers that are actually better than the high end flash hiders.

Also, silencers tend to hide the flame of the flash from the user who is behind the silencer. As the flame is short and thin vs the diameter and distance of the silencer.

But there is no way I would pick a flash hider over a 7" silencer in any situation I care about signature reduction.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:54:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FoxValleyTacDriver] [#7]
Honestly they won't be that different. Assuming you are using a full size can. Smith will beat a K can in flash suppression. Smith vortex is an incredibly good flash suppressor.

If I was in your scenario and only cared about flash suppression and cost, I'd buy a smith vortex.

But I personally would use a can.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks.  I may get a can someday.  For now, I just ordered a couple Smith Vortex flash hiders.
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 12:19:42 PM EDT
[#9]
barrel length and type of powder can make a big difference also

H-335 has a lot of flash

Link Posted: 4/29/2024 11:16:59 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By HawkinsID:
Thanks.  I may get a can someday.  For now, I just ordered a couple Smith Vortex flash hiders.
View Quote

That's what I'd do. Simple, cost-effective solution that doesn't require paper work. And I do have suppressors.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:54:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: NorthPolar] [#11]
Originally Posted By FoxValleyTacDriver:
Honestly they won't be that different. Assuming you are using a full size can. Smith will beat a K can in flash suppression. Smith vortex is an incredibly good flash suppressor.

If I was in your scenario and only cared about flash suppression and cost, I'd buy a smith vortex.

But I personally would use a can.
View Quote

This.  KAK is also doing a clone of the BE Meyers 249f which was reportedly even better than the Vortex.  Suppressor choice is extremely important though.  For example this was a Sandman K I was doing some testing with a FFL buddy on a while back to see what ammo flashed and what didn't.  My user image is a section of video I took from a magdump when we were finishing up.

Cheapest option is a Vortex or similar, I have a 249f on one of my rifles and can't catch anything on camera for it.  Granted, the good old fashioned A2 is pretty solid performing as well.  A suppressor is more fun though.

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:10:34 AM EDT
[#12]
I have a Smith Vortex on a 16" gun.  Firing XM193 there is approximately zero (0) flash.  That being said, I don't think the A2 is that bad.  It shouldn't be auto-gating your NV.

Why do you need a suppressor if you have NV on?  Your helmet should have ear pro on it.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:06:00 PM EDT
[#13]
My reason for wanting to mitigate flash is to minimize visual identification SHTF.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:26:22 PM EDT
[#14]
My reason for wanting to mitigate flash is to minimize visual identification SHTF.
View Quote
Vortex
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:20:44 PM EDT
[#15]
I installed the Smith Vortex on my 16" carbine and zero'd it this morning.  Very interesting.  It has a completely different recoil feel than my A2 flash hider.  The gun sounds slightly louder with the Vortex.    

I will soon compare the Vortex to a similar gun with an A2 flash hider at night.  

I keep reading about a "ping" with these type of flash hiders.  I have not heard this firing the weapon or dropping the bolt.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 5:57:19 PM EDT
[#16]
I installed the Smith Vortex on my 16" carbine and zero'd it this morning.  Very interesting.  It has a completely different recoil feel than my A2 flash hider.  The gun sounds slightly louder with the Vortex.    

I will soon compare the Vortex to a similar gun with an A2 flash hider at night.  

I keep reading about a "ping" with these type of flash hiders.  I have not heard this firing the weapon or dropping the bolt.
View Quote

Open tine flash hiders can ping, but there are fixes or just waiting until they carbon up through use and it solves itself.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:06:03 PM EDT
[#17]
If you need a Plan B compatible flash suppressor, 3P15 is a Plan B compatible flash suppressor, 2.15" long, it does a very good job with flash suppression.

Re: pings, it's subtly addressed on 3P15, we use different depths and widths flutes on the prongs, they're not there for looks

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 8:52:54 AM EDT
[#18]
Several of my guns wear Smith Vortexes (Vortices? 🤔) as I also own a Windtalker.  The ping is different on each of them, nonexistent on some. I assume that it has something to do with barrel harmonics.  Vortex does an excellent job at taming flash, even on 5.56 AR pistols.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 9:59:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#19]
The Vortex will suppress flash better than most silencers, and any silencer 5.5” or less. A few in the 6”-7” range will work as well as a Vortex. I say that as a silencer whore. There are a few cans that perform well at flash reduction and have very effective flash hider mounts available to have the best of both worlds, if you wanted the flash suppressor now and the sound suppressor later.

DevL and Andrewsky are spot on.

I’m not surprised the recoil feel is different. The A2 has some comp effect, though small.

I may have missed it, but what barrel length and ammo are we talking about?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 11:14:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HawkinsID] [#20]
Thanks to all.  All my rifles are 16".  I mostly shoot a variety of .223 (Wolf Gold, PMC, American Eagle).  

I like the Smith Vortex so much, I just put them on all my 8 rifles.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:23:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Thanks to all.  All my rifles are 16".  I mostly shoot a variety of .223 (Wolf Gold, PMC, American Eagle).  

I like the Smith Vortex so much, I just put them on all my 8 rifles.  

View Quote
Nice, it's a great one.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top