Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/12/2024 12:58:02 PM EDT
I kind of scored lucky with a purchase of a box of Nam-era M16 parts. It had some cotton olive web slings, 20-rd Colt magazines some with circle 1, and this metal buttstock. From what I can tell it's old and it looks like a Colt aluminum CAR stock, it's been painted in olive but the finish underneath is not the shiny black vinyl, I think it's an uncoated one. No markings on the stock body unless they're painted over but underneath the tab it's marked Newton New Haven. What have I got here, can anybody identify it?

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:08:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 762AP] [#1]
See the pockets/holes in it?
That looks like it's vinyl coated. I haven't ever seen the aluminum stock with pockets like that, only the vinyl top coating.
Nice score.
Check out this thread, it covers the progression of the stocks:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/AR-15/Colt-Retro-Collapsible-Stocks-progression-from-early-to-Newer/123-784452/
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:14:51 PM EDT
[#2]
Does it fit a mil-spec buffer tube?
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:43:07 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup its milspec
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 2:43:55 PM EDT
[#4]
I thought about stripping the paint but might just leave it as is since I think it looks pretty cool
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 9:33:21 PM EDT
[#5]
Is it possible this stock might be Nam era? I got it in a box full of 60's Nam era parts, Adventure line 20-rd mags, OD cotton web slings, M16A1 rifle receiver extension, ect. I know Colt SP1 carbines didn't come out until '78 and I think this is older than that. I don't know if there's any way to know for sure.
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 5:25:22 AM EDT
[#6]
Newton New Haven vinyl acetate,  I believe.

There should be markings on the body covered by the latch assy as well as markings on the underside of the latch.

I am far from expert on retro matters though.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top