Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 4/5/2024 1:10:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: panzersergeant]
Does anybody have personal experience with this retro scope from Sarco? The ad doesn't give much info and can't find any reviews.

Retro scope at Sarco.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:26:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I don’t have any experience with that one, but I may have to pick one up and try it out. Thanks for passing that on.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 2:41:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Interesting.  I was bummed to waited too long on the Brownells one, but I would like to have some info on it.  That’s a pretty sparse ad.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:12:57 PM EDT
[#3]
If the scope caps are the tell, it’s a Spina optics scope.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:27:21 PM EDT
[#4]
How much rust and mildew?

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 3:32:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By NoImpactNoIdea:
Interesting.  I was bummed to waited too long on the Brownells one, but I would like to have some info on it.  That’s a pretty sparse ad.
View Quote

Yeah, I contemplated the Brownells' scope as well but couldn't quite justify the 400 bucks for what will be a range toy. Thinking about giving this one a shot.
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:02:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got a couple of these as well as a brownells retro scope to compare it to.  

These are made by “hammers” and are the same 4x20 sold on gunbroker in the past.  The build quality is decent and I was able to zero it on my Troy xm177e2 at 100 yards no problem.

I have heard of quality issues but mine are nice, they are more authentic to an original colt as they have the large tension screw /access port on the left hand side.  The mount claw is sharper on the scope in question and the locking nib doesn’t engage until it’s too tight; you will guaranteed scratch the underside of your carry handle.  The base is also slightly smaller than the brownells so it might need shimmed for a tighter fit.  

I like mine,  I’m sure sarco would exchange if you had a defective one.  

Link Posted: 4/5/2024 6:15:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 9:22:18 PM EDT
[#8]
So this one then?

http://hammersbinoculars.store.turbify.net/restspa14xsc.html
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:05:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By panzersergeant:
Does anybody have personal experience with this retro scope from Sarco? The ad doesn't give much info and can't find any reviews.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/25872/retro_scope-3178892.jpg

Retro scope at Sarco.
View Quote

No, I don't have any experience with Sarco's retro scope, but I HAVE experience WITH Sarco, by way of a GB vendor.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/WTK-Is-OCRAS-Making-US-M-6-Bayonets-Now-/6-550819/
Link Posted: 4/5/2024 11:11:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I just want the lens caps.

Are they sold separately?

I searched ddg and didn't find them.
Link Posted: 4/6/2024 9:22:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: alternativebroccoli] [#11]
It’s a decent scope, it’ll scratch the hell out of your carry handle so I wouldn’t use it on a valuable gun however.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 9:02:18 PM EDT
[#12]
I took the plunge and ordered one. I put it on my H&R XM177E2. Previous poster was right about a loose fit in carry handle channel but a strip of black duct tape fixed that right up.

I took it to the range and once I got it dialed in I had no problem making headshots at 100 yards. For a hundred dollar range toy it works pretty good and definitely looks the part. The only other criticism I have other than the loose fit is the phillips head screws... I believe they should be slotted but no biggie.

Pretty satisfied with quality and performance for what I paid for it.

Link Posted: 4/18/2024 10:36:28 PM EDT
[#13]
I have ordered from Sarco several times. I have always gotten what I ordered and the pictures matched. The last order, I ordered some M16 safety selectors. They have a picture of one showing the full face and the lever low just like the proper retro ones. I had plans to even dimple them. They do not show the other side though. I emailed them to ask was it in fact like the ones in the picture and did it have a tick mark. They assured me it was the one in the picture and they did not have a tick mark. They were almost $20 a piece. That was a lot to me for a safety selector but it was what I wanted. When I got them, they were just the new standard M16 selectors with the lever half in the face and a large V tick like others were selling. I contacted them and the lady tells me she didn't lie, that was just what they told her when she asked. (shrugs). She wanted a picture of what I got and all that. I just wrote it off as a loss. I just got $100 worth of safety selectors I will use one day for something. So just a heads up if anyone is buying safety selectors from there. But like I said, all else I have got from them has been pretty good.
Link Posted: 4/19/2024 7:14:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mtomso7464] [#14]
I asked Sarco the same question (safteys) via email and never heard back so held off.  Guess I won't order now.
Another company had a picture of their forward assists.  The had a pic of an "real" one but at the price I was suspect so asked for pics.  He did send them to me but they were the typical repro's so I told him the pics did not match.  Not sure if he changed the picture though since I moved on and ended up buying two originals.
Link Posted: 4/22/2024 12:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Apec] [#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By alternativebroccoli:
It’s a decent scope, it’ll scratch the hell out of your carry handle so I wouldn’t use it on a valuable gun however.
View Quote

If you know the thread pitch of the mount screw, it could be possible to replace the claw/lever assembly with a brass washer and wingnut. I am considering this for a few optics mounts. This way you can get some proper torque on and not have to worry about damage.
Page AR-15 » AR-15 / M-16 Retro Forum
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Top Top