Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/11/2024 9:39:57 PM EDT
Heard a 'rumor' that Alliant Powders may be cutting back production.
Anyone heard anything else.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:02:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 11:42:39 PM EDT
[#2]
And yet Powder Valley has none of this on their actual website and is selling numerous Alliant cannister powders................  

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:11:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Well that sucks!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:21:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Canister powders are 44 lb up to rail car loads, often custom formulated and sold primarily to ammo manufacturers.  There are generally sold under long term contract with severe penalties for non-delivery; this is probably just the legal department providing advance notice.  This has nothing to do directly with retail packaged powders.  It is likely that no orders have actually been cancelled or deliveries missed yet.  It may eventually trickle down to consumer products, but we're not there yet.  You'll see a lot of the-sky-is-following posts, generally from people who haven't actually read the notice and/or don't realize what canister powders are.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:33:42 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:52:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Says confirmed order cancelations...

Gundandgadgets
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 12:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Alliant does not make powder. Reloder series powders is made in Europe; the Swiss and Swedes take care of that.  New River Energentics runs the DOD plant at Radford Arsenal. Current DOD contractor is Northrup Grumman doing business as New River Engergentics.  Just like General Dynamics owns St. Mark Powder in FL.  Jarred fails at times to get the FACTS straight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:44:15 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Trollslayer] [#8]
I just saw this in the General Discussion forum. If true, this probably bears heavily on the Alliant powder situation.  

Another reason for Gun Powder Shortages, Nitrocellulose which mostly comes from China

Europe-battles-powder-shortage-to-supply-shells-for-ukraine

"To make powder, you need a specific kind of cotton, which mostly comes from China," he said (EU internal market commissioner Thierry Breton).

Nitrocellulose, also known as guncotton, is a key ingredient in gunpowder manufacture."

"Would you know it, deliveries of this cotton from China stopped as if by chance a few months ago," Breton added.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:56:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Canister Grade Powder is what they package for Retail Sale.
Non-Canister grade powder is proprietary blends for the various customers that load ammo on larger scales ie Federal.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By TGH456E:
And yet Powder Valley has none of this on their actual website and is selling numerous Alliant cannister powders................  

View Quote

I emailed Powder Valley the other day.

This was their response:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:45:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Even though its not Alliant,   it still made me buy a jug of Varget.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:46:42 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By rn22723:
Alliant does not make powder. Reloder series powders is made in Europe; the Swiss and Swedes take care of that.  New River Energentics runs the DOD plant at Radford Arsenal. Current DOD contractor is Northrup Grumman doing business as New River Engergentics.  Just like General Dynamics owns St. Mark Powder in FL.  Jarred fails at times to get the FACTS straight.
View Quote

Thanks for posting that.

It appears that Radford just recently got an upgrade to their nitrocellulose production:

https://www.baesystems.com/en-us/feature/radford-moves-to-commissioning-phase-of-a-new-nitrocellulose-facility
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 9:53:39 PM EDT
[#13]
That info was from 2021?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:16:25 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:19:10 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Rugerss3576] [#15]
I originally posted this here in reloading because for some reason I thought powder was relevant here but it got moved to general. Then got called a troll for trying to give a heads up and maybe help some folks here out. No wonder more folks don’t post here.

This info about Alliant not shipping canister powder is from last week, has been verified by Alliant, and should be relevant to reloaders.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:49:22 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By Rugerss3576:
I originally posted this here in reloading because for some reason I thought powder was relevant here but it got moved to general. Then got called a troll for trying to give a heads up and maybe help some folks here out. No wonder more folks don’t post here.

This info about Alliant not shipping canister powder is from last week, has been verified by Alliant, and should be relevant to reloaders.
View Quote

Well I appreciate the heads up. I don't have facebook or anything, so I never would have seen it. Has this been verified by Alliant? I've sent an email to them and have not heard anything back yet.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 9:14:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: SteelonSteel] [#17]
Originally Posted By Rugerss3576:

View Quote

i appreciated your post.

Don’t worry about it, ironically you have to have a thick skin to post in this sub forum.  Our moderator is a volunteer and uses his judgement on the err of a firm grip on things.  A bit too rigid in my opinion but he’s overall doing a good job and puts his time in moderating as well as posting useful advice.  That said I don’t want to see this place devolve in to poorly delivered or unsafe reloading advice but a little humor and tolerance within reason would be ok by me.   People are individuals with individual styles, make some allowances and don’t take anything on the interweb personally.  This forum is still a gold mine of information and experience.

If there is one thing I have learned over the years is do not get wedded to any particular primer, powder or projectile.  They get discontinued, run in to,production problems or simply cannot meet demand therefore they are not available.  Yea it’s nice to have a great load but be prepared to make another great load with something else.  I have been reloading since the 80’s and have just started to explore vigtavouri powders because of their fine reputation, they’re available in 8 pd jugs and they’re currently competitively priced compared to the doubled prices of my old Alliant, IMR and Hodgdon standbys.   It’s time to work up new loads.  To me that is part of the fun.   Exploring.   I never bought VV when it was $35 a pound when domestic brands were $25.

Top Top