Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2024 9:30:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Switchback_Arms]
Do you all have a favorite brand or type of boresnake?

Do you wash or clean the boresnake?

Do you exclusively use a boresnake for cleaning bores/barrels?  Guessing this isn't the case for precision type rifles.

What are your tips to best use a boresnake?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:11:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I won't use one after having one stuck in the barrel. While researching methods to remove, I saw several vids where barrels were damaged. Anymore, I use use a bronze or nylon brush and Ed's Red home made bore cleaner.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:28:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: GunnyFitz] [#2]
Seriously? You drop the little metal piece thru your bore, out the barrel, and pull it out.

Ok fine, I Googled it for you.......... How to
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:56:38 AM EDT
[#3]
You can wash them in a bucket with dawn dish soap and cold water.   Swirl around, let soak, then rinse well.

But they are really best treated as disposable.  When they get nasty or start to degrade just toss them.  Not worth risking getting one stuck in the barrel.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:01:27 PM EDT
[#4]
I brush the bore, than mop out with patches. I pull a clean lubed boresnake through as a finishing touch.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:15:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:47:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CJofFL] [#6]
The Hoppes Boresnakes seem to have a decent reputation and I use them. The Hoppes "Viper" boresnakes have a reputation for breaking when pulling through and subsequently getting stuck in the barrel and I don't use them.

ETA...
Originally Posted By intheburbs: A genuine boresnake is $20.
View Quote
I don't think I've paid more than $5 for a Hoppes. For example, CDNN, Walmart, etc.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:07:52 PM EDT
[#7]
My son liked them then had a couple break off in the barrel.  VERY difficult to get them out.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 2:55:04 PM EDT
[#8]
The only boresnakes/pull-throughs I have are historical items in surplus cleaning kits. I rarely clean bores, and I use a rod when I do.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 11:47:54 PM EDT
[#9]
I don’t use them as my primary cleaning method.  I keep a size for every firearm in my range bag.  I only use them for a quick cleaning.  They are cheap, I don’t clean them.  I will run a nylon brush across them to know off any large debris and or smack them on a pc of wood.  I just buy new ones, can get them for $8 on sale most times.  I have tried a few different brands but have settled on the Real Avid.  They are easy to use, easy to pull using the storage container and stow away nicely.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top