Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 5:25:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver]
I completely understand the legal differences of having a SBR vs an integral, the one or two stamp gu (basically, but I know its a bit more than that).

Aside from all NFA / ATF nonsense, and strictly speaking about ballistics and suppression.  If you have 16 inches of barrel and suppressor (total), what the advantages of either system in regards to ballistics, accuracy and suppression?

Is there a difference on having an integral that has the last 6 inches ported versus a 10 inch barrel and a 6 inch suppressor on it?  Assuming 16 inch total package.

Of course assume similar quality of manufacture and such.

My experience has been with an SWR integral 77/22 and they left burrs at the port holes of the factory barrel that caused the barrel to have NO accuracy.  From my experience, you can get a very high quality barrel and simply thread a suppressor on it.

However, it did look really slick.

Once again, not directed at the legality aspect of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:44:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc3] [#1]
Theoretically, integrals with ported barrels allows you to use standard or even high velocity ammo and not have to worry about it going supersonic in a longer rifle barrel.

I also have a SWR 77/22 barrel that I haven't shot much. Joe told me to use Mini-Mags with it, I guess because the porting would keep it subsonic. I never really understood that, except standard velocity ammo, with no porting, would probably go supersonic.

I need to take it out and see how it works.

BTW, did you ever try to brush the burrs out?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:07:59 PM EDT
[#2]
Wouldn’t a short barrel have a similar reduction in velocity or does porting reduce velocity more effectively?

Yes, I had the burrs removed and the accuracy dramatically improved.   The factory barrel, now ported and burrs removed was no competition to my Kidd barrel on my 10/22.  

So I had the suppressor converted to a thread on suppressor, and put a Lilja barrel on the 77/22 and it shoots lights out.  

The converted suppressor is a solid meh at best.   It’s bested by a Dead Air at half the size.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:19:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: kc3] [#3]
Considering much standard velocity ammo can go supersonic in pistol barrels (longer than 4-4.5" long), it was probably thought that leaving the rifle barrel longer, but ported, was a better design choice.

And Kidd barrels, which are (German) Lothar Walther blanks, would be expected to shoot better than Ruger barrels. I sent them the 77/22 Varmint with what I think was one of Ruger's first hammer-forged barrels, to be converted.

Remember, this was 20 years ago (at least when I got mine). Things have come a fair ways since then.

Curious, who converted it to a thread-on?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:33:41 PM EDT
[#4]
With current tech it seems like it’s pretty close. The main reason it was popular on guns like the MP5SD was because it could shoot the ammo that everyone had quietly. A SBR with good subsonic ammo sounds pretty good in my experience. I think that with all the variations you’d need to compare specific systems rather than speak generally.  Pick a platform and compare what’s available for it and how you will use it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:54:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kc3:
Considering much standard velocity ammo can go supersonic in pistol barrels (longer than 4-4.5" long), it was probably thought that leaving the rifle barrel longer, but ported, was a better design choice.

And Kidd barrels, which are (German) Lothar Walther blanks, would be expected to shoot better than Ruger barrels. I sent them the 77/22 Varmint with what I think was one of Ruger's first hammer-forged barrels, to be converted.

Remember, this was 20 years ago (at least when I got mine). Things have come a fair ways since then.

Curious, who converted it to a thread-on?
View Quote

I forgot who converted it.   I can look it up if you really would like to know.  It’s been years.

The SWR I had was made by Joe Gaddini in his garage while he chain smoked, and I was able to pick out the serial number I wanted.  Yea, that long ago.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:16:44 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#6]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:
Wouldn’t a short barrel have a similar reduction in velocity or does porting reduce velocity more effectively?
View Quote
From what I've seen, the integrals have the porting near the chamber, then the bullet has the friction drag of the barrel after that, with less pressure to propel it.

In theory, the ported barrel should reduce velocity more than just a shorter barrel.  

You'd also have the gas being diverted into both the rear of the suppressor near the chamber and at the muzzle further forward in the suppressor (and there should be baffles between those two locations).  In theory, that should be a factor in making the gun quieter.  With a semiauto, maybe it could help lower back pressure.  With an unported short barrel, all the gas is released into the suppressor at once, at the muzzle of the barrel.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:29:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Steamedliver] [#7]
Originally Posted By dmk0210:
From what I've seen, the integrals have the porting near the chamber, then the bullet has the friction drag of the barrel after that, with less pressure to propel it.

In theory, the ported barrel should reduce velocity more than just a shorter barrel.  

You'd also have the gas being diverted into both the rear of the suppressor near the chamber and at the muzzle further forward in the suppressor (and there should be baffles between those two locations).  In theory, that should be a factor in making the gun quieter.  With a semiauto, maybe it could help lower back pressure.  With an unported short barrel, all the gas is released into the suppressor at once, at the muzzle of the barrel.

View Quote

Thanks.   Which company offers porting close to the chamber?   If you know.  Aside from an MP5?  

That makes sense.   Thanks for explaining it.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:40:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DernHumpus] [#8]
I pinned and welded a Griffin GP5 to a 11.5 BCM upper.  I would do that again to avoid the SBR status.

I wouldn't really call it integral since it is still a traditional setup.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:55:56 AM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#9]

Which company offers porting close to the chamber?   If you know.  Aside from an MP5?  

View Quote
That I don't know.  I've just seen the MP5SD, clones and custom jobs people post pictures of.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 3:35:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By DernHumpus:
I pinned and welded a Griffin GP5 to a 11.5 BCM upper.  I would do that again to avoid the SBR status.

I wouldn't really call it integral since it is still a traditional setup.
View Quote

Agreed.  An integral with porting vs your upper is exactly what I am asking.  Aside from the NFA crap.

Originally Posted By dmk0210:
That I don't know.  I've just seen the MP5SD, clones and custom jobs people post pictures of.

View Quote

Now I have some thing to look into.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:10:23 PM EDT
[#11]
Maybe I’m missing something here, but are we talking about a specific type of gun here?  Or just in general?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:36:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
Maybe I’m missing something here, but are we talking about a specific type of gun here?  Or just in general?
View Quote

General.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:46:10 PM EDT
[#13]

I forgot who converted it.   I can look it up if you really would like to know.  It’s been years.

The SWR I had was made by Joe Gaddini in his garage while he chain smoked, and I was able to pick out the serial number I wanted.  Yea, that long ago.
View Quote

Yeah, lol, mine is from that same time-frame.
Top Top