Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/13/2024 5:05:04 PM EDT
I recently got this rifle from my uncle. He thought it was Turkish, but I think it may actually be a Spanish Mauser. There is a lack of roll marks so I'm just going off of other photos I've seen. It's missing some parts, like the upper handguard. I think these parts are all that are missing, but I'm hoping someone here may have a better idea:
https://www.apexgunparts.com/mauser-spanish-m93-handguard-14-25-inch-length-good.html
https://www.apexgunparts.com/spanish-m1916-rear-barrel-band-good.html
https://www.apexgunparts.com/spanish-1893-mauser-cleaning-rod-steel-g-.html

And here are the photos of it:
Untitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:39:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#1]
All those pics, and you never showed us anything other than possibly the caliber that would be useful from differentiating an early Turk from a Spanish.

Give us a pic of the bolt face removed from the action.

Give us a good pic of the receiver ring behind the barrel.

If it says 7mm and not 7.65mm on the barrel, it's probably Spanish.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:46:19 PM EDT
[#2]
History of WWI Primer 088: Ottoman 1890 and German Capture Documentary
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:46:49 PM EDT
[#3]
History of WWI Primer 093: Ottoman Mauser 1893 Documentary
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:47:40 PM EDT
[#4]
This is the only thing close to a caliber marking on the barrel that I can find

I'll take additional photos tonight. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:48:51 PM EDT
[#5]
History of WWI Primer 143: Spanish Mauser 1893 Documentary
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 5:49:15 PM EDT
[#6]
History of WWI Primer 144: Spanish Mauser Carbines Documentary
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:44:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By FriskyDillo:
This is the only thing close to a caliber marking on the barrel that I can find
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/53717262511_038a0b05d2_b.jpgUntitled by Frisky Dillo, on Flickr

I'll take additional photos tonight. Thanks!
View Quote

Sure looks like 7mm, which would be Spanish.  From the single photo of the receiver ring in front of the bolt, it looks as if the crest has been scrubbed.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:36:33 PM EDT
[#8]
That's a Spanish M1916 Short Rifle, looks to still be in it's original 7x57mm caliber. A bunch were converted to 7.62 Nato in the 50's.

The only parts I see missing are the upper handguard and middle barrel band. Liberty Tree has a handguard but they are out of bands specifically for the 1916 Short Rifle but you could probably substitute an M93 barrel band, the sling swivel would just be in the wrong place.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:43:12 PM EDT
[#9]
And the cleaning rod but it is really not needed or even that useful for most people. But if you are going for looks you might keep an eye out for one.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 10:29:33 AM EDT
[#10]
Here are additional photos of the bolt face and chamber ring, and the other markings I may have missed in the first round of photos
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:30:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#11]
Almost certainly Spanish - flat bolt bottom for the 1st double stack mag of the 1893, mostly scrubbed receiver ring w/ a faint crest.  Looks like the gas escape hole was added, C&Rsenal vids or research will tell you when that was done, which may rule out a Spanish-American war capture.  If a US capture gun, then not updated w/ the later spitzer sight, so sights will be off w/ modern spitzer ammo, but the action can handle it.  The Spanish ultimately rechambered these guns to 7.62x51mm NATO.

With the flat bottom bolt, a good candidate to convert to 7.62x39mm & AK mags.

ETA:  I thnk the R is the updated sights for the spitzer bullet, and if M1916, then not Spanish/American war.  Not antique, but no concern about soft bolt lugs from the worry wort in the other thread.  Strong action, just doesn't handle gas as well as a 98.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:12:17 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks! You have better eyes than me because I can't make out any type of crest on the receiver ring; just looks like machining marks to me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:17:26 PM EDT
[#13]
Might try wetting some tracing paper, stick it to the receiver ring, let it dry, then rubbing a pencil over it, might be able to better see the remains of the crest.  Very faint, maybe my eyes are deceiving me.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 6:20:21 PM EDT
[#14]
7x57 cal M1916 as pointed out.

Not super rare but hard to find in really good condition as Spain rode them hard most are mismatched with roasted bores..

Your rifle was refurbed postwar and scrubbed of orig crest markings. If the bore is good it is worth saving esp since it has match bolt.

I would look for cheap donor rifle with the parts needed.

It took me yrs to find a exc condition matching 1916 for my Spanish Mauser collection.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:34:52 PM EDT
[#15]
If bore is shot, good candidate for a .308 sporter.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 10:52:31 AM EDT
[#16]
I did a light cleaning of it yesterday. After running some patches and brushing the bore, it looks pretty decent. The bore is dark but it has clear and defined rifling. I'll see how it shoots this weekend. I'll give it a more thorough cleaning after that, and then it can be buddies with my mosin.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:57:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#17]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top