Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/3/2023 3:03:51 PM EDT
I started my XTC and MR rifle shooting over 40 years ago with the M1 and 1903A3. I got my first-ever AR15 two years ago. Boy, does it drive differently than the milsurps.  
Got a question for the experts here. Let me paint a picture here for you so we can all be on the same page.  
My AR is a Windham 20" govt A4 model. The barrel is a 1:7,  chrome lined, and unfloated. The only mods I've done to it are:  
1) 2-stage trigger  
2) LVPO optic.  
Other than these, it's bone-stock.  
I'm still working on load development for it.  
So here's the question:  
Would it behoove me to free-float the barrel, or would that just be tossing money away? I know c/l barrels aren't the first choice for precision, but it is what it is and was in my budget. I'm a l-o-n-g way from out-shooting my equipment.  
When I sling up, there's just enough tension to feel connected.  
So what say you--Yea or Nay to free floating a chrom-lined barrel?
Thanks.  
Jon
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 6:32:47 PM EDT
[#1]
The fact that the barrel is chrome lined doesn't play into the free float question.
One of the benefits of free floating is barrel harmonics which can affect accuracy.
The other would be you're slinging up.  You state that you're not putting a lot of pressure on the barrel, but you might decide more pressure works better for you.
If you want to build it as a precision rifle, free float is a good idea.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 12:30:23 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the reminder that it's all about barrel harmonics. I've been so fixated on the chrome lining that harmonics didn't come into my equation. DUH !
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Bigger_Hammer] [#3]
Windham typically does a good job on their chrome lined barrels.

Yes, a Chrome lined barrel MAY have more bore size variation if it had a poor chrome lining process, but there is nothing that automatically says a chrome lined barrel will be inherently more inaccurate than a non-chrome lined.

Assuming your 20" has the "A-2" profile (skinny under the handguard)?

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 1:18:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 3:07:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Colts monolithic 6940 is quite accurate and has a chrome lined barrel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:30:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Musketjon] [#6]
Deleted
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 4:34:16 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History

Assuming your 20" has the "A-2" profile (skinny under the handguard)?

[color=#274E13][b]Bigger_Hammer
[/color]
View Quote

Yes.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 6:36:07 AM EDT
[#8]
There is nothing that says a chrome lined barrel can't be accurate. I had a buddy years ago that had a bone stock Colt AR-15A2 HBAR. He shot a 199 @ 600 yards with that rifle with handloads.

That being said they are probably not the first choice for those that are at the high end of the sport, but they can shoot small groups and any rifle will benefit from a free float tube and that goes double for an A2 profile barrel.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 7:20:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Sinister] [#9]
John Feamster (author of Black Magic - the Ultra Accurate AR-15) started his highpower journey with a Colt HBAR, floated, with a Milazzo trigger and improved sights.

He didn't feel held back by the barrel.

John is a Distinguished Rifleman, has his President's Hundred tab, and works at the USAMU's custom ammunition facility.  He literally wrote the book on the AR as a highpower rifle.

Link Posted: 8/4/2023 3:05:27 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Sinister:
John Feamster (author of Black Magic - the Ultra Accurate AR-15) started his highpower journey with a Colt HBAR, floated, with a Milazzo trigger and improved sights.

He didn't feel held back by the barrel.

John is a Distinguished Rifleman, has his President's Hundred tab, and works at the USAMU's custom ammunition facility.  He literally wrote the book on the AR as a highpower rifle.

https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/41EHFB282DL._SX304_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg
View Quote

Thanks for this info. I need to get a copy of this book.
Link Posted: 9/21/2023 4:47:32 AM EDT
[#11]
UPDATE 09/20/23

I had a CLE NM service rifle float tube and handguards installed on my rifle today. As soon as I can get to the range and test it, I'll report back.
Thanks for your inputs.

Jon
Link Posted: 2/9/2024 6:15:13 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Musketjon:
UPDATE 09/20/23

I had a CLE NM service rifle float tube and handguards installed on my rifle today. As soon as I can get to the range and test it, I'll report back.
Thanks for your inputs.

Jon
View Quote

UPDATE 02/09/24
I shot the XTC match last month. By floating the barrel, I picked up 48 points and shot a personal best. My old "best" was a 616 (out of 800 possible). My new "best" is a 662, that's just 8 points shy of moving up to Sharpshooter. Apparently my rifle doesn't like to be benched, but rather prefers to be shot from "position". I was pretty stoked. Now, if I can just continue to improve mineself, I'll be expert in no time.
Just thought you'd appreciate the update.

Jon
Top Top