Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2023 9:49:04 AM EDT

At the match yesterday I was ROing a CO shooter with a CZ DA/SA with safety.

Actually we had a couple in the squad.

I guess I just hadn’t noticed until then that these guys were all letting the hammer down and starting in DA with safety off.

I get that the safety doesn’t need to be engaged but why is this the rule for CO? I get that you wouldn’t do both but why isn’t it shooter’s choice?

If he were shooting an M&P with a thumb safety, it has no hammer, so does that safety need to be engaged?

I mean, if the safety were removed then….

Link Posted: 4/3/2023 10:04:35 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't believe there is any rule saying you can't engage/disengage the safety on DA/SA guns in Production or CO.  Or for that matter safety-equipped striker-fired guns.  BUT, you do have to start with the hammer down on DA/SA guns in Production and CO.  

The main thing is they don't want cocked and locked starts in Production and Carry Optics.

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:09:29 AM EDT
[#2]
Good question, not sure on the reasoning.

Limited can start hammer back with safety on.  Not sure why a DA/SA gun in CO cannot.

Maybe they think it's an advantage and want you to have that long and heavy first pull, LOL.

The odd thing is that with a multi-string stage, it isn't a DQ if you holster the gun with the safety on and hammer back(In CO).  So, it apparently isn't a safety issue.

My best "guess" is that they want it on even ground with striker fired guns.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 11:01:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Alot of those rules were made because someone on the rulemaking group was trying to fix a PERCIEVED advantage that someone else had.

Perfect example is the Para Ordinance LDA series of guns that kind of end up in no-mans land because the name (Light Double Action) doesent match the actual operation of the gun (technically single action regardless of the fact the hammer moves).  They named a gun LDA despite the fact that the operation is much closer to Glock's "safe action" than a double action revolver, mostly as a marketing gimmick, but then the purists came out and now a single stack was not welcome in single stack...

Link Posted: 4/5/2023 1:58:09 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

Limited can start hammer back with safety on.  Not sure why a DA/SA gun in CO cannot.

Maybe they think it's an advantage and want you to have that long and heavy first pull, LOL.

The odd thing is that with a multi-string stage, it isn't a DQ if you holster the gun with the safety on and hammer back(In CO).  So, it apparently isn't a safety issue.

View Quote

Pretty sure when it was created it was based heavily on production rules which is where the start position came from.
Originally Posted By barrysuperhawk:
Alot of those rules were made because someone on the rulemaking group was trying to fix a PERCIEVED advantage that someone else had.

Perfect example is the Para Ordinance LDA series of guns that kind of end up in no-mans land because the name (Light Double Action) doesent match the actual operation of the gun (technically single action regardless of the fact the hammer moves).  They named a gun LDA despite the fact that the operation is much closer to Glock's "safe action" than a double action revolver, mostly as a marketing gimmick, but then the purists came out and now a single stack was not welcome in single stack...

View Quote

Lots of single stacks aren’t allowed in single stack. Silly division for sure. Should have just called it standardish 1911’s only no weirdness
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:26:53 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Never_A_Wick:

View Quote

Actually, one guy (RO) said it was a DQ but 10.5.11.2 says otherwise. My opinion would be that holstering would not be a DQ and if the shooter shoots a stage from that condition it would throw him into open.

What say you?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 8:46:13 AM EDT
[#6]
If you holster without the safety on you’re done but I think you’re correct about getting bumped to open but I thought that was only if you started the stage that way. It’s been too long so I’m just not sure.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:31:25 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dogsplat:

Actually, one guy (RO) said it was a DQ but 10.5.11.2 says otherwise. My opinion would be that holstering would not be a DQ and if the shooter shoots a stage from that condition it would throw him into open.

What say you?
View Quote

Sorry, I missed this.

No it is not a DQ if it's holstered with the safety on.

Yes, it's a bump to Open.  Although at a low level match you might just see the RO say something to correct the shooter, even though they don't have to.
Top Top