Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page General » Pets
Posted: 4/17/2024 8:15:47 PM EDT
My cats are strong and independent.  They spend most of the daylight hours outside.

The pop off and ditch the break-away collars in less than a day.

I'm moving to a new home that does not have all the neat woods that they are used to and I'm afraid they might roam looking for adventure.  I'd like to have them in collars to lessen the chance they will be mistaken for hobos by the neighbors.

Has anyone actually heard of a problem with using an old school buckle collar?  I'm thinking the break-away feature is a solution to an imaginary problem.

New property is 3+ acres.  If they become neighborhood pests, they will be restricted to inside.  They really love the outdoors though...

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:22:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Cats don’t need collars.  

Problem solved.

Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:35:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm not a cat person, but why would a cat need a collar?  Do you walk them on a leash?
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:47:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 18B30:
Cats don’t need collars.  

Problem solved.

View Quote

There it is.

My cats are chipped, but stay indoors. They have free access to a screened in porch for fresh air. A collar isn’t going to save them from any threat, but can possibly prevent them from escaping one.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 8:54:18 PM EDT
[#4]
Chip them

But my parents cat lost his collar to a branch 40 feet up once.

Just csme back without it one day.
Link Posted: 4/17/2024 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Cats with collars are pets.  Cats without collars are potential “targets of opportunity”, especially in areas populated by feral cats.
Link Posted: 4/18/2024 7:53:24 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:43:22 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TigerForce] [#7]
FPNI. Most of the cats I’ve had wouldn’t/won’t wear collars. They’ve lost the collars I’ve tried to get them to wear. I did try to use break-away collars, or collars that had elastic inserts. I’ve given up on collars for them. I have them microchipped, though. The city where I live doesn’t require collars/tags for cats as long as they’re licensed and microchipped.
Page General » Pets
Top Top