Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2024 6:26:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman]
So I have a question, At the start of this month I moved a small some of money into a Brokerage account with fidelity to use as a savings account. I moved $500 into the account as a start to test the waters and see how this works, it's held in the Fidelity Money Market (SPAXX). I know at the end of every month you get paid Dividends, well today I only got paid $1.90 for $500.00 in the account which is 0.38%

The account says it's yield is currently at 4.96%

Am I missing something here or is this normal and I'm just stupid?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:33:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Without looking too deeply, did you amortize your payments over a year? Is that the way the payments work?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:34:54 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1245xx:
Without looking too deeply, did you amortize your payments over a year? Is that the way the payments work?
View Quote
I don't believe I did
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Annual?

$1.90x12/500=0.0456. Which is close to your listed percent. Add the dividends back in with interest and it’s probably there.

The money market should only be a parking spot for your funds between investing. Put them into a mutual fund or whatever your preference is. When you need to make some cash available, move it to the money market. But you want to have the money really invested, not in a money market.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:37:58 AM EDT
[#4]
The rate is for a year.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:43:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By BuddyChryst:
Annual?

$1.90x12/500=0.0456. Which is close to your listed percent. Add the dividends back in with interest and it's probably there.

The money market should only be a parking spot for your funds between investing. Put them into a mutual fund or whatever your preference is. When you need to make some cash available, move it to the money market. But you want to have the money really invested, not in a money market.
View Quote
Thanks for the clarification, I believe I didn't fully understand how this worked. I thought the money market was monthly, not monthly installments of a year.

That is my fault, I'm still learning how investing works.

So if I'm only earning 0.0456 per year on that $500. Is there a better mutual fund that is safer that has a better percentage/payout?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:45:37 AM EDT
[#6]
SPAXX currently pays a seven day average yield of 4.96% paid monthly.

Annual earnings = principal x yield

$500 x 0.0496 = $24.80

monthly earning = $24.80/12 = $2.06 ( approximately)

Keep in mine the annual fee is .42 % so $4.20 for every $1000 in SPAXX

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:48:19 AM EDT
[#7]
So kinda a second question,

Where should I park my Emergency savings that will be safe (no lose any balance) while also getting the best return possible?

Or is that even a thing?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:50:47 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Willz:
SPAXX currently pays a seven day average yield of 4.96% paid monthly.

Annual earnings = principal x yield

$500 x 0.0496 = $24.80

monthly earning = $24.80/12 = $2.06 ( approximately)

Keep in mine the annual fee is .42 % so $4.20 for every $1000 in SPAXX

View Quote
Thanks for the clarification
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:52:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: AeroE] [#9]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:55:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By PA-Minuteman:

Where should I park my Emergency savings that will be safe (no lose any balance) while also getting the best return possible?

Or is that even a thing?
View Quote

Money market should be readily accessible.  Do you have an emergency fund?  If not, I really wouldn’t be concerned with making money at this point. Safe?  Yes. As a risk taking investment?  No.  Get your baseline financial house in order and then go from there.  If you have an investment/retirement account and are contributing to it, you’re ahead of a lot of people in this country.  Slowly, consistently, and over time.  But yeah, I wouldn’t really wouldn’t be all that concerned about a return at this point.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 11:38:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Morgan321] [#11]
...... a Brokerage account with fidelity to use as a savings account.

The account says it's yield is currently at 4.96%
View Quote

That's 5% per year paid monthly, so roughly 5%/12 per month in interest.  
It's actually 4.96 annual yield, so you're getting less than that in interest because the 1 month interest you just got will earn interest for 11 more months.  ie. the interest is compounding.  

Since it's a brokerage account that interest is capital gains and taxable by both federal and state.
You can buy treasury bills on fidelity very easily, they are paying 5-5.3% for terms in the 1-6 month range.  The interest you earn on them is exempt from state income tax which will save you a few pennies.  

Anything better than roughly 5% will require you to accept some risk.  

ETA: Right now you can get 1 and 2 month treasury bills at about 5.3% and avoid state income tax on the interest.  
That's not a huge jump, but that 5.35 for the 1-month is 8% more than the spaxx yield.  And you don't pay PA income tax on the profit.  
Again, that 5.35% is annual yield, not 5.35% per month.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/1/2024 1:10:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: wildearp] [#12]

Or is that even a thing?
View Quote
Ally Savings.  

My current 401K is in Fidelity.  I have half of my HSA in VFIAX --Vanguard 500 Index Fund Admiral shares.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]

Or is that even a thing?
View Quote

At Fidelity?  SPAXX
At Vanguard?  VMFXX
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:59:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By wildearp:
Ally Savings.
View Quote

Why settle for less?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:06:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By 1245xx:

Money market should be readily accessible.  Do you have an emergency fund?  If not, I really wouldn't be concerned with making money at this point. Safe?  Yes. As a risk taking investment?  No.  Get your baseline financial house in order and then go from there.  If you have an investment/retirement account and are contributing to it, you're ahead of a lot of people in this country.  Slowly, consistently, and over time.  But yeah, I wouldn't really wouldn't be all that concerned about a return at this point.
View Quote
25% into company 403b, Max Roth IRA & HSA every year.

I have 3 months worth of expenses & my max OOPs saved in a checking account.

I am trying to move my emergency funds into an account that will earn some interest and "try" to keep pace with inflation while being safe
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:08:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: PA-Minuteman] [#16]
Originally Posted By FALARAK:

At Fidelity?  SPAXX
At Vanguard?  VMFXX
View Quote
So just park it at SPAXX and forget it?
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 4:37:54 PM EDT
[#17]
So just park it at SPAXX and forgot it?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

At Fidelity?  SPAXX
At Vanguard?  VMFXX
So just park it at SPAXX and forgot it?

That's where my emergency fund and any additional cash reserves go.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 5:43:31 PM EDT
[#18]
So just park it at SPAXX and forget it?
View Quote

Again, without accepting any risk there’s only so much you can earn.

The treasury bills via fidelity are easy, but only fractionally better than spaxx.  For small dollar amounts the effort may just not be worth it.  
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:22:34 PM EDT
[#19]

That's where my emergency fund and any additional cash reserves go.
View Quote
Sounds good
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

Again, without accepting any risk there's only so much you can earn.

The treasury bills via fidelity are easy, but only fractionally better than spaxx.  For small dollar amounts the effort may just not be worth it.  
View Quote
This is true, and I understand this. The goal isn't to make a lot of $$$ with this account. Just something to park money in that will earn something to try and keep pace with inflation

I'll read up on the Treasury bills but I'm only going to be parking around $10k or so in this fund, I don't know if it's worth going that route just to save a small amount of PA taxes
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 10:54:47 PM EDT
[#20]
… going to be parking around $10k or so in this fund, I don't know if it's worth going that route just to save a small amount of PA taxes
View Quote

So spaxx will earn you about $500/year and a treasury bill will earn you around $540.  
PA is 3% income tax so you’d make an extra $40 and avoid about $16 in state tax for a net difference of +$56/year in favor of treasury bills.  

I do lots of 1-3 month treasury bills but with more taxable cash and 5% state tax.  The net difference for me is about $950/year.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 9:29:08 AM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By Morgan321:

So spaxx will earn you about $500/year and a treasury bill will earn you around $540.  
PA is 3% income tax so you’d make an extra $40 and avoid about $16 in state tax for a net difference of +$56/year in favor of treasury bills.  

I do lots of 1-3 month treasury bills but with more taxable cash and 5% state tax.  The net difference for me is about $950/year.

View Quote

Well done Morgan321!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top