Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2024 12:21:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: gtfoxy]
This year our 8th grader decided to try Home Schooling.

We set up a Time4Learning account & curriculum. So far he is really liking it. It’s been pretty good & he’s been able to do the vast majority of it on his own with minimal help from us & his older brother (College Sophomore majoring in Computer Science & Mathematics).

It offers a lot of freedom to do classes as he wants. We found that being able to continue to work through one subject at a time, rather than trying to focus on multiples at once, has really helped him grasp concepts & ideas much better.

He completed all of his language arts curriculum, then History, Math, & is now over half way through the Science side of it.

There are also computer science electives he’s taking that I’ve been working with him on. I’ve also got him into a “Shop” program where I’m teaching him metal fabrication & welding.

His demeanor has completely changed as well. He’s not testy or grumpy like when he would come home from school. He doesn’t stress out over timelines & projects either.

I 100% recommend giving it a try if you are on the fence about the subject. It may be the best thing you can do for them.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:28:16 PM EDT
[#1]
We've homeschooled from the start.

Daughters are in first and fourth ish grades. It gets a little muddy talking grades with homeschooling.

We school year round. Take quite a bit of time off throughout the year. Plan on vacations during times when schools are not out in order to avoid crowds.

Highly recommend.
Link Posted: 4/3/2024 12:34:11 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Daughters are in first and fourth ish grades. It gets a little muddy talking grades with homeschooling.

We school year round. Take quite a bit of time off throughout the year. Plan on vacations during times when schools are not out in order to avoid crowds.

Highly recommend.
View Quote

Right on man!

It’s been great all around. He does his thing for 5hrs a day then we work with him later in the day.

We spent 3 weeks in FL & it was great having him just be able to keep doing his schedule on line.

There are some things in the program that could be improved, but it’s the best to be able to quickly & easily go through tests & projects with him & make sure he grasps it before moving on.

I’m with you on the grade part of it. As it stands he’s holding an A/B average in everything so far. If there are spots he falls below that we make sure to go back over it with him & have him retake them. For us what is important isn’t a score, as sometimes the questions we even have to research a bit, but more does he really understand what’s being taught.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:02:29 AM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By gtfoxy:

Right on man!

It’s been great all around. He does his thing for 5hrs a day then we work with him later in the day.

We spent 3 weeks in FL & it was great having him just be able to keep doing his schedule on line.

There are some things in the program that could be improved, but it’s the best to be able to quickly & easily go through tests & projects with him & make sure he grasps it before moving on.

I’m with you on the grade part of it. As it stands he’s holding an A/B average in everything so far. If there are spots he falls below that we make sure to go back over it with him & have him retake them. For us what is important isn’t a score, as sometimes the questions we even have to research a bit, but more does he really understand what’s being taught.
View Quote

100%
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 10:46:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Highly recommend.
View Quote

This is the way...
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:02:44 PM EDT
[#5]
TLDR.
Homeschooled both ours.
Currently full ride honors nursing students.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:13:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: vim] [#6]
We did it.  The kids were done with school completely by the time their friends got home and were free to play.

The benefits of a custom pace should not be underestimated.  Got it?  On we go.  Don't?  Take the time to go over it till they do.  No "happy medium" of a class full of students all over the place.

One kid placed into AP Calc in ninth grade.  Another in 10th, and went on to a PhD in mechanical engineering with a focus on neuromechanics.  They both played sports for clubs and at the high school, and our third climbed for Team USA in international competition.

We basically looked to mainstream them in math at the calc level, to ensure a smooth transition into college classes.  And languages, because of course they wanted to study languages -- Chinese, Japanese, Spanish -- in which we had no competency.  We were lucky in that the school district here has a policy that if a kid blew through the classes offered at the high school, they'd pay for classes in those areas at the University of Colorado as long as they maintained a C.  They could also play high school sports.

One of them was a little immature to sit in a class of college undergraduates, and got into some interests we weren't happy with.  We got it sorted, but I want to mention that too.  It takes active attention, or they can get their future screwed up.  So be serious about it.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:22:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Homeschooling 3 here from ages 8-13.  Wife has been at it for years now. She’s incredible.

Among many other benefits it also allows us to not have our kids programmed that they need college.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:37:41 PM EDT
[#8]
We started homeschooling the last two kiddos we have in K-12 this year (Kinder and 7th) and we do not plan to ever look back. They learn so much more than they had at public school, and without all the woke BS that has infected everything. A bonus is them sleeping in a bit longer in the mornings and still finishing everything earlier than their public school friends.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 11:37:43 PM EDT
[#9]
We use a homeschooling program called Classical conversations for our three sons. It has been a great experience.
They boys excel in it, we can monitor what they learn and my wife can tutor one day a week in the program with a dozen or so local kids.
Real great community.

The boys can do their school work certain days of the week, and if completed they can work with me at my business.
And I get to see my kids every day. Real blessing.
My oldest did decide to do highshool for his last few years for sports but he had a solid heart for God, family, and country on top of the fact we are in a super small town with no woke stuff.

Yet...

if your on the fence, DONT be, DO IT!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 12:47:32 PM EDT
[#10]
This thread is awesome. Bravo to all you folks.

I haven't seen anything in here that has done anything but reinforce what I've already thought or have already been doing. So, great feedback! I have a five year old who is going to go to kindergarten next year, and the two year old twins will go to preschool next year. After that, I'm taking over. Just got a truck camper, so we can take our homeschooling mobile. What (goodly amount) of education I've done so far tells me that it won't take much effort and time to produce a superior experience.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#11]
We’re beginning our homeschooling adventure in just a couple weeks. Our kids have been attending a private Montessori school which we and they love, but it only goes through 8th grade, so this is my son’s last year. I already have him signed up for math courses through Power Homeschool and will start doing dual enrollment next year so he can start earning college credits for free. Everything else other than mathematics, we’ll be doing on our own. I’m really excited, and he is too.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top