thats crazy, and id like to know more
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:08:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Maybe because it's fake?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:17:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:17:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I don't really see any area, aside from maybe the tip of the toe box, that would need support (in that orientation).
Have you ever seen the pin support challenge?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:32:59 AM EDT
[#5]
People dont realize how unnecessary supports are in most situations.

I VERY rarely use supports. I basically never use a brim. If you have Z height set properly you get pretty good bed adhesion. That allows for some decent overhangs and decent ability to eliminate supports.

Not particularly impressive once you understand what is capable with proper settings and hardware.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:47:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:47:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:36:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Striker:
I was wondering that..especially with how fast the filament cools.
But the angle and height of that had me wondering..the bed adhesion must have been really good.
View Quote
It's TPU, that stuff sticks to PEI beds like it's been glued to it.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:43:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: stewie97] [#9]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:
People dont realize how unnecessary supports are in most situations.

I VERY rarely use supports. I basically never use a brim. If you have Z height set properly you get pretty good bed adhesion. That allows for some decent overhangs and decent ability to eliminate supports.

Not particularly impressive once you understand what is capable with proper settings and hardware.
View Quote

How do you print holes with no supports?

ETA - I'm goign to try no supports on our next print - we have a slight overhang, a channel, and a few holes we push hex nuts into.

Not having to clean up support would be amazing.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:50:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By stewie97:

How do you print holes with no supports?
View Quote
Assuming you mean vertical holes?

Depends on hole shape, size, and part orientation.  

For example, printing a square shaped hole, if the part is oriented so the hole has the top and bottom edges parallel to the build plate, then the nozzle would make a long pass over nothing to do the top edge of the hole, and there would be a high likelihood of failure without support.

But, if you could rotate the part a bit on the build plate, and have the square now be at a bit of an angle, then there is no flat unsupported top side, and instead the angled edges can be built up slowly until meeting at a corner.

That's why in the OP video, the shoe is oriented at that 45-ish degree angle.  It allowed a slow ramp-up of all the sides and no flat overhangs to worry about.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:53:08 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By D_Man:
Assuming you mean vertical holes?

Depends on hole shape, size, and part orientation.  

For example, printing a square shaped hole, if the part is oriented so the hole has the top and bottom edges parallel to the build plate, then the nozzle would make a long pass over nothing to do the top edge of the hole, and there would be a high likelihood of failure without support.

But, if you could rotate the part a bit on the build plate, and have the square now be at a bit of an angle, then there is no flat unsupported top side, and instead the angled edges can be built up slowly until meeting at a corner.

That's why in the OP video, the shoe is oriented at that 45-ish degree angle.  It allowed a slow ramp-up of all the sides and no flat overhangs to worry about.

View Quote

I have a couple that are parallel to the build plate, so that wont work. the cumbersome ones are horizontal to the build plate, so I'll try it on those
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By stewie97:

I have a couple that are parallel to the build plate, so that wont work. the cumbersome ones are horizontal to the build plate, so I'll try it on those
View Quote

Assuming you mean the holes cross section is on the XZ or YZ plane, you can either alter layer height to enable very steep angles or you can modify the shape of the hole which is what most of do that terminates in a tear drop shape with usually a bridge at the top.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:08:07 PM EDT
[#13]
not sure if serious op?

those overhangs are real reasonable.

if bed adhesion is good, its all good.  

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:52:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:05:25 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:53:03 AM EDT
[#16]
So we can print shoes now.  The world is quickly becoming amazing.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:24:15 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:
So we can print shoes now.  The world is quickly becoming amazing.
View Quote

I think my expensive custom insoles for my red wings were 3d printed.

Would be interesting to try to use a bl touch or some other touch probe to make a point mesh from a silicone rubber mold of your foot.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:11:46 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By 1Andy2:

I think my expensive custom insoles for my red wings were 3d printed.

Would be interesting to try to use a bl touch or some other touch probe to make a point mesh from a silicone rubber mold of your foot.
View Quote

Yano I never though about putting a finder on a 3D printer to use it to probe an object to generate a file....I'm sure there's some code out there for it somewhere.  I've got a spare board with a dead extruder stepper I could use that for...
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:17:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By -Obsessed-:

Assuming you mean the holes cross section is on the XZ or YZ plane, you can either alter layer height to enable very steep angles or you can modify the shape of the hole which is what most of do that terminates in a tear drop shape with usually a bridge at the top.
View Quote

you were right - thank you

first print with build plate only support was a success. Trying no support currently.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top