Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

You Must Be Logged In To Vote

Posted: 5/13/2024 12:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: HAGDADDY]
I currently have or have had handguns from just about all the major manufacturers and I'm not a brand snob.  But I've always had a duty style or CCW style handguns.

I'm looking at getting more of a competition style gun now.  I've narrowed it down to three options.  The Canik TTI Combat, the S&W Competitor, or the FN 509 CC Edge XL.   Sure I'd love a Staccato or a DWX but those are just out of reach right now.

I've owned some Caniks and I like the way they feel and shoot.  I'm a big fan of the 509 as well.  They feel good in my hand and my 509F LE MRD is my current go to gun.   I don't have as much experience with the M&P series but I've shot a few and I did get to fingerbang a Competitor last week.  It had a good trigger and felt good in my hand.

So please hit the poll and help me decide.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 8:01:25 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By HAGDADDY:
I currently have or have had handguns from just about all the major manufacturers and I'm not a brand snob.  But I've always had a duty style or CCW style handguns.

I'm looking at getting more of a competition style gun now.  I've narrowed it down to three options.  The Canik TTI Combat, the S&W Competitor, or the FN 509 CC Edge XL.   Sure I'd love a Staccato or a DWX but those are just out of reach right now.

I've owned some Caniks and I like the way they feel and shoot.  I'm a big fan of the 509 as well.  They feel good in my hand and my 509F LE MRD is my current go to gun.   I don't have as much experience with the M&P series but I've shot a few and I did get to fingerbang a Competitor last week.  It had a good trigger and felt good in my hand.
So please hit the poll and help me decide.
View Quote

No love for IFG-prepped Tanfoglio guns? CZ ergos and basically ’enhanced’  by the IFG for competition. Various types to choose from. Decent price points.

I believe Ben Stoeger runs a 9mm IFG model. It’s the one on the cover of his “Dryfire Reloaded” book.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 3:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]
CZ shadow or Blue/Orange?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 11:33:18 PM EDT
[#3]
We rented one of the current M&P Competition (5") models at the range, and were very impressed at how well it shot and how the trigger felt (both break and reset).
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:04:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly I’d just save up for a Staccato or something similar. But if I had to choose from those three, I guess it would be the S&W. But at the end of the day, it’s still just another striker fired pistol more or less. But seriously, think about  waiting till you can afford something really nice.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 4:14:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Why not go for the Canik Rival or the Rival Dark at a significantly lower price?
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 11:50:01 AM EDT
[#6]
I voted pie.
Striker= HK VP9L, Cz p10 series
Hammer=CZ shadow 2, Sar k12, Beretta ,  Tanfoglio.  

Tanfoglio does have a few striker versions out now but I haven't tried them.

That S&W in your poll has promise however.
My regular m&p full size has been great.

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:04:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Sounds like FN is your gun.  

I just bought the TTI Combat.  Good accurate, flat shooting gun.  But I'm probably going to let it go.  It's really hard to determine what you'll like without shooting it.  That's why I "buy & try" a lot of different guns.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:48:05 PM EDT
[#8]
If it has to be from that list, the M&P. If not, another gun worth $1k
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 8:20:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:00:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Save up for the DWX it’s completely worth it.

Or, as someone else suggested, snag a Shadow 2. Great gun.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 8:40:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I don't like to support Turkey, so a CZ would be my first pick.  But of those options, I would pick the Canik.

S&W changes things around and has so many models it's hard to get information about what works well with which variant of their models.

FN has a horrible history of randomly dropping product lines and disavowing their existence, making post-purchase support and repair nigh impossible.  For example, the Browning Pro 9, FNP, FNX, FNS, and now the 509 series, or the various generations of Five Seven pistol.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:00:11 AM EDT
[#12]
If the 509 mags you already have are compatible with the other FN, and you have a decent amount... that's worth taking into consideration.

I am a M&P fan for strikers and the metal frame / competitor guns are nice. With that slightly heavier frame and the newer 'flatish' trigger they handle very well.
I did pick up the TTI a couple days ago, it's stupidly nice for a Canik... but at the end of the day, it's a Canik.  I like it, but it'll end up a range toy / beater gun for me.

I'd go with the S&W as being the 'best' of the bunch, but I see the draw of all three individually.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:40:29 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 10:13:43 AM EDT
[#14]
If you really want a Staccato or DWX keep saving.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:59:58 PM EDT
[#15]
They are all nice guns and I have owned/had experience with very similar models. The S&W Competitor model is nice but to me personally, I would save the extra money and buy a 5" model M&P with the flat trigger. It has the same trigger feel, at least it did to me, and is cheaper, unless you just want a metal framed gun. The TTI Canik looks nice but hard to tell if it has the staying power to command the price it does. I am not knocking it by any means and want to get one eventually but still. The FN Edge is a nice gun and I like the feel of it. My 509T is a great gun but mags are expensive for it.

If I may add one, you might think about the HK VP9L or the "B" model pistol with the American style release. I own a "B" version of it and am quite pleased with how it performs and how well the grip/frame offers a more custom feel/grip to the shooter's hand. I had both the standard and the "B" model of the gun and only kept the "B" model as it does not have the trigger groove in the trigger guard. It also has more room under the trigger guard where your middle finger indexes/grips the frame, kind of like on a Glock trigger under cut.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 3:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
No idea why the Canik continues to get good reviews.
Purchased one and sold it after 2 trips to the range.
Everyone who shot it including myself said the trigger sucked.

Skip the Canik. Either of the other two would do just fine.
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I really appreciate all the responses.  It seems the M&P is overwhelming the choice.  And it's the cheapest of the three.  

But my brain works in strange ways so I'm having new thoughts.  Instead of a Canik TTI I could get a Mete SF Pro series gun for about half the price.  Then I could spend the left over on a new barrel and compensator from FN for my 509 LE MRD.  It has same trigger as the Edge series guns and it's broke in real well.  Then I could swap back and forth and put the comp on when I want it.

Any left over would be spent on optics for the Canik.  

Then again I may just go buy the M&P.  🤦‍♂️
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:11:12 PM EDT
[#18]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By JThompson:
No idea why the Canik continues to get good reviews.
Purchased one and sold it after 2 trips to the range.
Everyone who shot it including myself said the trigger sucked.

Skip the Canik. Either of the other two would do just fine.
View Quote

The TTI Combat had a bad trigger?  I'd have contacted Canik for a repair.
Just picked one up in the past week. Trigger is superb for a stock striker gun...
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 12:17:28 AM EDT
[#19]
Shadow 2.

-a Carry Optics Grandmaster
Link Posted: 5/23/2024 1:20:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RangeToy:
If it has to be from that list, the M&P. If not, another gun worth $1k
View Quote
yeah of those 3 the M&P, but dont love any of them. do you just want a comp style gun, or are you planning to actually compete with it? if so rules may dictate what gun you can or cant use in whatever class.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 10:12:39 PM EDT
[#21]
I fill that role with a g34,35 mos and cz shadow. The mp would be my pick of your list.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 11:52:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Pdp Pro
Top Top