Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2024 8:56:11 PM EDT
What options are there for a lose 1911 dovetail front sight. Does anyone make one that is oversized?
Link Posted: 4/29/2024 7:09:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Options...........

Buy a blank front sight from Brownell's.
These are made over sized so you can file to fit.  
https://www.brownells.com/search/?page=1&search=blank+front+sight

To finish, use Brownell's Dicropan T4.  This is a cold blue that gives a Black color that more closely matches modern gun bluing.
It's also the most durable I ever used.

Tighten the fit by dimpling the slide dovetail or the bottom of the sight.
To do this use a slightly dulled center punch to raise craters or burrs.  The usual is to do the slide, but if you can arrange things it's better to dimple the bottom of the sight.... this follows the gunsmith standard of altering the part that's cheapest/easiest to replace if things go wrong.

Use Loctite Red or a high grade one hour epoxy to glue the sight in place.  This avoids all the risk and trouble of the first two options.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 7:08:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CPT_CAVEMAN] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By dfariswheel:
Options...........

Buy a blank front sight from Brownell's.
These are made over sized so you can file to fit.  
https://www.brownells.com/search/?page=1&search=blank+front+sight

To finish, use Brownell's Dicropan T4.  This is a cold blue that gives a Black color that more closely matches modern gun bluing.
It's also the most durable I ever used.

Tighten the fit by dimpling the slide dovetail or the bottom of the sight.
To do this use a slightly dulled center punch to raise craters or burrs.  The usual is to do the slide, but if you can arrange things it's better to dimple the bottom of the sight.... this follows the gunsmith standard of altering the part that's cheapest/easiest to replace if things go wrong.

Use Loctite Red or a high grade one hour epoxy to glue the sight in place.  This avoids all the risk and trouble of the first two options.
View Quote

Would prefer option 1, but wanting a sight with fiber optic. So I'll try 1 or both of the other options.

I sent to a company to get some work done and think they pushed it out the wrong way. It's been a few so doubt they'll cover it.

Thanks for the info
Top Top