Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/1/2024 2:52:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DDiggler]
I will be going on-site to my company, located in DC, for a week. I'm planning on taking my motorcycle (with a lockable trunk/saddlebags). I'll be staying in a hotel for those days.

After I'm done in DC, I'm planning on riding down the east coast and taking some time in various states, which I do have reciprocity in.

I would like to take my CCW with me, not specifically for the work segment of my trip, but for the traveling I'm doing afterwards.

Is the DC segment enough to scuttle this idea entirely? I'm wondering if locking my handgun and ammo up separately until I'm in my room, and then keeping it locked up in my hotel room while I'm in DC is enough to be legal, or are the laws going to require that I'm unarmed for this entire trip? Leaving the CCW at home isn't a dealbreaker for me, but I am wondering what my legal options are.

A separate lockbox for the handgun, in my luggage where I can't easily get it while traveling (locked in my trunk), then stored in my hotel OK? Obviously I don't have anything "registered" with DC.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:11:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:15:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By scuba_steve:
BLUF:  Not a good plan.  Stay across the river in VA.

You should be able to rely on FOPA protection to transport through the city, potentially with a brief stop for gas or food, as long as it is stored in accordance with their rules, but being in the city otherwise with an unregistered firearm is a no go.  Even possession of ammunition or components of ammunition (including spent brass) is a misdemeanor in DC if you don't have a firearm registered with Metro PD.  Non-residents who get a DC CHP can only carry a pistol they have registered with the MPD.  It's that strict.

More info.
View Quote

That's what I thought.

My hotel is selected and paid for by my company, within easy walking distance of the office, so it looks like I'll be making this whole journey sans CCW.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 6:40:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 8:33:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cooper1] [#4]
Just don't get caught. That's all I can say.  The odds are pretty much nil if nothing you have looks "tactical. "
Also, and this is for everyone.  Maids are trained to look specifically for guns.  They will scour your room looking .
Eta. the US attys office is out for blood on this.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top