Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/30/2024 5:03:49 PM EDT
Assuming one was to register their AR Lower, that was built into a legal "Other", does said firearm need to stay in this "Other" configuration?

Can one convert it to a rifle now that it's a registered AW? Add a stock and 16" barrel?

Obviously all NFA rules apply (can't put a stock on a 12.5" upper etc).

What about going shorter with a barrel? For instance a 10.5" barrel on a braced "other" as this would then turn it into a AW Pistol?

Has SFLU or DPS ever put out any official verbiage on this? Or all speculation?
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 5:39:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Gordo556] [#1]
read the law, try to find where it specifically states that a registered 2023 assault weapon must stay in original/"other" configuration, as it used to be legal prior to the law being enacted.

if you can find that, post it here. id like to see it.

as of currently, its speculation and it will stay that way until/if the SLFU puts out a written statement.

im not a lawyer. im just a dude on the internet.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:07:41 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Gordo556:
read the law, try to find where it specifically states that a registered 2023 assault weapon must stay in original/"other" configuration, as it used to be legal prior to the law being enacted.

if you can find that, post it here. id like to see it.

as of currently, its speculation and it will stay that way until/if the SLFU puts out a written statement.

im not a lawyer. im just a dude on the internet.
View Quote

That's why I asked. Some people say you can configure it as you'd like, as it's an "Assault Weapon" and it's registered.

But I don't know if SLFU has issued any written ruling on this, or if all we have is speculation.
Link Posted: 4/30/2024 7:56:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sbhaven] [#3]
Look at it this way. Once its registered as an assault weapon one cannot make it any more assaulty by adding more evil features to it.

You are NOT going to get a solid answer on this because the law simply doesn't address it one way or the other. There were one or two people claiming a few years back that you had to keep the registered assault weapon in the configuration that you registered it as. When I pressed them on it to post anything from the statutes that supported their possession, they reluctantly admitted there wasn't anything in the law that specifically indicated that, but they still believe it anyway.

If you want a legal answer, pay a lawyer to get their view.

Keep in mind that ATF NFA rules are entirely separate. If you change the barrel to a shorter length make sure to consult with ATF rules as you may have to file the paperwork (and pay the tax stamp) for a AOW or SBR.
Link Posted: 5/1/2024 2:38:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MikeOD82] [#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BlindFaith429:

That's why I asked. Some people say you can configure it as you'd like, as it's an "Assault Weapon" and it's registered.

But I don't know if SLFU has issued any written ruling on this, or if all we have is speculation.
View Quote

I'm not a lawyer, and I'm not going to tell you what you can and can't do, but far too many people in this country don't understand the separation of powers, and that's why regulations and "final rules" and such have been allowed to take over.

It's not within the power of SLFU to make any rulings, it's only within their power to enforce laws.  What matters is what the law says.  The SLFU can try to provide guidance on how the law is interpreted, and they may even say how they'll try to enforce / prosecute based on their interpretation, and they can also try to push the legislature or an officer capable of executive orders to do something, but the SLFU is not part of the legislative branch of the government, nor are they The President or Governor.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:51:43 PM EDT
[#5]
I may have missed new developments, but last I knew, there was a national injunction on ATF's rule regarding braces.  If the injunction is still in place, and your other is also declared w/ SLFU then it doesn't matter if you have 12.5in or 10in barrel. Barrel length mattered for others in CT before the latest AWB was passed since that was one of the features that allowed people to circumvent the pistol category.  Now it's an "assault weapon" regardless.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:37:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By BlindFaith429:
Assuming one was to register their AR Lower, that was built into a legal "Other", does said firearm need to stay in this "Other" configuration?

Can one convert it to a rifle now that it's a registered AW? Add a stock and 16" barrel?

Obviously all NFA rules apply (can't put a stock on a 12.5" upper etc).

What about going shorter with a barrel? For instance a 10.5" barrel on a braced "other" as this would then turn it into a AW Pistol?

Has SFLU or DPS ever put out any official verbiage on this? Or all speculation?
View Quote
You are never going to get a real answer to a legal question on the internet. One person will say one thing another will go the other way. In fact legal advice from the internet is worth exactly what you paid for it.  The best anyone on the internet can do is quote the law and you have to figure out what it means. Thanks to SBhaven who seems to have the text handy.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top