Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/12/2024 9:37:21 PM EDT
Our fenced back yard is under some mature oaks and gets great shade. However grass won’t grow. There’s a slope and so water erodes the fill dirt and mulch I have added. It’s a muddy mess when it rains. The dog track in mud and it’s not great.

I saw an old episode of This Old House the other day and they were talking about a ground cover that looked sort of like a caliche road. It was water permeable and so they said erosion was not bad with it. Anyone know what this might be called now?  Any other suggestions appreciated as well. I have a chipper for my tractor and have used pine. It holds up for a season or two and is nice but it’s a ton of work.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:41:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: IH1026] [#1]
You tried a shade grass mix?

Eta: Scroll down a few topics in this subforum, and there's some info given on shade tolerant grasses.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:05:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kitties-with-Sigs] [#2]
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Roll roofing if you can afford it. It will make you a good semi solid area that can always be removed later. Should last a few years before you would need to replace it if you keep equipment off of it.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:15:39 PM EDT
[Last Edit: LibertyShip] [#4]
Research Moss Lawns.

Link Posted: 5/13/2024 10:33:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By kaw_liga:
I saw an old episode of This Old House the other day and they were talking about a ground cover that looked sort of like a caliche road. It was water permeable and so they said erosion was not bad with it. Anyone know what this might be called now?
View Quote

Decomposed granite?
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:09:44 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By GutWrench:
Roll roofing if you can afford it. It will make you a good semi solid area that can always be removed later. Should last a few years before you would need to replace it if you keep equipment off of it.
View Quote

I think roll roofing would be pretty detrimental to the trees.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:20:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Buckshot4U:
Originally Posted By GutWrench:

True. Guess it could bleed into the soil after a while. Probably better than asphalt. But yeah. Might not be a good idea.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:22:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Top Top