Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/19/2022 10:04:39 PM EDT
It seems that most states have rules against the transport of antlers/bones unless *cleaned* before transporting across state lines nowadays.

The easiest way to stay within these laws would be, best I can tell, to debone all meat and 'clean' all skulls/teeth (like elk ivories) before bringing them home.

How do you do this - on a trip that usually last only a few days and usually has you shooting a critter towards the *end* of the trip?

Assume you've killed something not big enough to pay for taxidermy. Do you pay a taxidermist to professionally clean the skull plate? Have them ship it later? What constitutes 'clean'?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 10:32:58 PM EDT
[#1]
Boil the skull to remove the flesh/brain material?
Link Posted: 12/19/2022 11:00:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Scrape it out the best you can and then spray it out at a car wash.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 3:06:48 AM EDT
[#3]
My neighbor has it down to a science, a 55 gallon steel drum filled with water and lye on top of a 'Turkey Fryer" burner.  Deer, Elk whatever she shoots and wants the head and antlers.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:23:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 50-140:
My neighbor has it down to a science, a 55 gallon steel drum filled with water and lye on top of a 'Turkey Fryer" burner.  Deer, Elk whatever she shoots and wants the head and antlers.
View Quote

Hmmm.

A 3-gallon turkey fryer wouldn’t be burdensome to throw in the car before the hunt.

I suppose I could do a wire brush then boil in lye then bleach then brush again then dry it out.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 9:51:14 AM EDT
[#5]
On our out of state trip, or ones that are mounted, we have a local taxidermist that will cape the animal and cut the antler plates off.
For non mounted, we clead as best we can.  Stick a screwdriver up in the brain cavitiy and flush as much as possible.  Or we cut the antler plate off and mount in a store bought skull mount.
Link Posted: 12/20/2022 10:17:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Become ungovernable
Link Posted: 1/16/2023 1:19:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BuckeyeRifleman] [#7]
https://www.raptorazor.com/products/deer-scrambler

I used one of these this year, basically a drill bit with weed wacker string strung through pre drilled holes.

Worked well. Stuck the elk skull in a stream and went to town. Took all of about 5 minutes.

The harder part was caping out the skull.
Link Posted: 1/28/2023 3:35:40 PM EDT
[#8]
We just had a local do it and ship it to us.  It cost us $140 for the euro mount and another 50 to box it up and ship to us.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top