Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/10/2024 6:38:02 AM EDT
https://www.swpc.noaa.gov/news/media-advisory-noaa-forecasts-severe-solar-storm-media-availability-scheduled-friday-may-10

For Immediate Release [May 9, 2024]  

MEDIA ADVISORY

NOAA forecasts severe solar storm; media availability scheduled for May 10

NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center (SWPC) — a division of the National Weather Service — is monitoring the sun following a series of solar flares and coronal mass ejections (CMEs) that began on May 8. Space weather forecasters have issued a Severe (G4) Geomagnetic Storm Watch for the evening of Friday, May 10. Additional solar eruptions could cause geomagnetic storm conditions to persist through the weekend.

A large sunspot cluster has produced several moderate to strong solar flares since Wednesday at 5:00 am ET. At least five flares were associated with CMEs that appear to be Earth-directed. SWPC forecasters will monitor NOAA and NASA’s space assets for the onset of a geomagnetic storm.

CMEs are explosions of plasma and magnetic fields from the sun’s corona. They cause geomagnetic storms when they are directed at Earth. Geomagnetic storms can impact infrastructure in near-Earth orbit and on Earth’s surface, potentially disrupting communications, the electric power grid, navigation, radio and satellite operations. SWPC has notified the operators of these systems so they can take protective action. Geomagnetic storms can also trigger spectacular displays of aurora on Earth. A severe geomagnetic storm includes the potential for aurora to be seen as far south as Alabama and Northern California.

WHAT:   Media availability via teleconference on the unfolding space weather event and Geomagnetic Storm Watch.

WHO:    Experts from NOAA’s Space Weather Prediction Center

WHEN:  Friday, May 10, 2024; 10 a.m. EDT

CALL-IN #:    630-395-0205

INTERNATIONAL (TOLL FREE): 800-988-9736

PASSCODE: 8186632

VIDEO:    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dr2BIlDGDk&feature=youtu.be(link is external).

Video Caption: NOAA’s GOES-16 satellite captured the eruption from the sun that occurred around 2 p.m. EDT on May 9, 2024. Credit: NOAA

NOAA's Space Weather Prediction Center is the official source for space weather forecasts, watches, warnings and alerts. Visit www.spaceweather.gov for updates. The public can subscribe to receive NOAA space weather alerts, warnings, and watch information at pss.swpc.noaa.gov.  

Contact:  Erica Grow Cei, [email protected](link sends e-mail), 202-853-6088

NWS Public Affairs, [email protected](link sends e-mail), 301-427-9000
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 6:47:30 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't take the elevator
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:57:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:04:08 AM EDT
[#3]
This guy seems kinda like a doomer, but this is his opinion...

ALERT - Four Solar Blasts Are On Their Way to Earth | S0 News May.9.2024

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:15:46 AM EDT
[#4]
SIX SOLAR STORMS ON THEIR WAY TO EARTH | S0 News May.10.2024
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:23:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:29:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Advice?  Unplug antennas and any unused electric devices?  or don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:31:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:38:38 AM EDT
[#8]
What time we gonna die? I got stuff to do.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:40:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Mail in votes will be collected by a rider on horseback
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:00:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DarkLordVader:
Advice?  Unplug antennas and any unused electric devices?  or don't worry about it.
View Quote

Don't worry about it.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:27:13 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By wisbiker67:
Mail in votes will be collected by a rider on horseback
View Quote
Why did this just give me flashbacks to Blazing Saddles?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:36:54 AM EDT
[#12]
Lower HF propagation will be in the shitter but 26-60MHz might be interesting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:38:56 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm listening in. The briefing portion was less than 5 minutes long. Then the media folks started asking all the sort of questions you would expect, i.e. they were either kindergarten level questions, or they wanted specific answers to when/how long/how bad/exactly what/etc. The NOAA SWPC folks couldn't or wouldn't provide any specific answers, just a bunch of excuses about how they can't really make any specific predictions about storm effects.

At any rate, they really don't think it will get bigger than a strong G4 storm, and there have been enough of those on record to know that HF will go into the toilet (it's already there) and some minor effects on SATCOM, etc.

I'm just pissed that the weather forecast here is for mostly cloudy, so probably no Aurora for me even if we have a good one at my latitude
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:42:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Frank_B] [#14]
SKCC  Sprint this weekend could get interesting.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 12:59:38 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going camping and wasting my time on the radio.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:35:46 PM EDT
[#16]
I was hoping to see the Aurora in the deep south. Looks like it is only as far south as Ohio and Pennsylvania.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:44:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 3:59:53 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By SandHillsHillbilly:
I was hoping to see the Aurora in the deep south. Looks like it is only as far south as Ohio and Pennsylvania.
View Quote
I've only seen it from one location in my lifetime.  Years ago, and it was just by chance.  Not the highest point in the area, but I was driving on this stretch of road in Perinton, NY, and looked north and saw it.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top