Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2024 3:36:48 PM EDT
It has been a tough spring here for coyote hunting, or at least it has been for me. I saw a coyote hunting hard in a field last night, but he was about 1,200 yds. out and I couldn't break him loose from the rats and mice. Tonight I went back and came in on the opposite side of the field. I didn't use any vocals just rodent sounds. He came up a ditch line hunting hard. He would have turned and come right to me, but he started getting whiffs of my wind. I didn't want him to get a full nose of my scent, so I growled him to a stop and put the hammer down on him at 200 yds. It was a double lung hit, and he ran about 50 yds. and gave up the ghost. He had already shed his winter coat, and might qualify for the ugly coyote contest. The kill was still sweet to me because I outsmarted him tonight. I'll post the video tomorrow hopefully. Here he is.

Link Posted: 4/11/2024 1:02:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Definitely didn't win any "best fur" contests. Nice shooting and thanks for sharing your video.
Link Posted: 4/11/2024 10:04:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Thanks Korey!  I didn't mention that the 50 v-max out of the 223 with a muzzle velocity of 3,200 fps was a complete pass-through at 200 yds.  I didn't show the exit wound on the other side.  I expect the thin fur and not hitting any ribs on the entry aided the pass-through.  I continue to believe the reduced muzzle velocity with the shorter 16" barrel allows more penetration with the v-max bullets.
Link Posted: 4/12/2024 12:30:08 AM EDT
[#3]
Great shot!
Link Posted: 4/15/2024 5:58:22 PM EDT
[#4]
I wouldn't worry about a pass through once in a while. With the looks of HIS fur, NO GREAT LOSS!!! lolololol. Fine shot, pass through or not.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top