Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/14/2024 10:29:28 AM EDT
I don't have a problem yet but want to be prepared.

I haven't had a garden in quite a few years so I'm having to relearn a lot of stuff.

I have read a good bit and see that there are quite a few options and wanted to see what y'all are using and what works.

I am growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, okra, squash, cucumbers, pole/green beans, and some assorted herbs.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 12:02:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: buck19delta] [#1]
Originally Posted By TN-MadDog:
I don't have a problem yet but want to be prepared.

I haven't had a garden in quite a few years so I'm having to relearn a lot of stuff.

I have read a good bit and see that there are quite a few options and wanted to see what y'all are using and what works.

I am growing tomatoes, peppers, eggplant, okra, squash, cucumbers, pole/green beans, and some assorted herbs.

View Quote

Insecticides, like  Seven dust, liquid seven, and. Um.. spectricide concentrate. Amazon had a sale, selling  40oz bottles fo $4.00 and I stocked up, which is important these days as it seems like EPA pulls useful insecticides from market constantly making them unavailable, licensed exterminators only etc. and the replacements never work as well.

Seven dust, spectricide, etc, are supposedly vegetable safe, just don’t use 30 days before harvest, which isn’t an issue as it generally lasts a month or more once applied.

I treat fruit trees, berry bushes, grape vines, corn, tomatoes, etc otherwise I’d lose them all to Japanese beetles and other pests.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 1:07:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Another vote for Sevin Dust. I like to apply it after watering so it sticks to the foliage.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:17:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Eyeore1966] [#3]
Sevin dust or spray kills most anything in the common garden and it has a decent residual effect just pay attention to the harvest interval listed somethings are pretty long... you can buy the serious stuff at Sevin SL in fact DIY Pest has an entire list of chemicals specifically for food gardens DIY Edibles  

Azera is an organic
Spinosad is an organic
BT is an organic

Malathion is an oldie I seem to recall it does well with lots of fruit trees, garden items

I generally start with something organic but as the season moves along the Sevin comes out.  I use a little hand duster called Dustin Mizer for larger areas but for smaller areas a ladies knee high or stocking foot makes a nice shaker for fine dust distribution.  Do what i can to avoid bee impact.

No affiliation other than I buy stuff from them but DIY is also a good source for lots of chemicals commonly mentioned on arfcom for pest control, termite control, lawn chemicals etc. depending on where you live and what your state allows.

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Eyeore1966:
Sevin dust or spray kills most anything in the common garden and it has a decent residual effect just pay attention to the harvest interval listed somethings are pretty long... you can buy the serious stuff at Sevin SL in fact DIY Pest has an entire list of chemicals specifically for food gardens DIY Edibles  

Azera is an organic
Spinosad is an organic
BT is an organic

Malathion is an oldie I seem to recall it does well with lots of fruit trees, garden items

I generally start with something organic but as the season moves along the Sevin comes out.  I use a little hand duster called Dustin Mizer for larger areas but for smaller areas a ladies knee high or stocking foot makes a nice shaker for fine dust distribution.  Do what i can to avoid bee impact.

No affiliation other than I buy stuff from them but DIY is also a good source for lots of chemicals commonly mentioned on arfcom for pest control, termite control, lawn chemicals etc. depending on where you live and what your state allows.

View Quote

I’ll look into all that. I do remember using sevin dust in the past. Used to use a kitchen sifter sometimes. I also had a thing like that Dustin Mizer. Had forgotten about that.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 5:38:56 PM EDT
[#5]
Neem oil spray
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 4:22:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Lucifer_Sam] [#6]
I use one bottle w/ a mix of neem, insect soap and pyrethrin, and another spray bottle w/sevin spray from concentrate. The first I guess works ok as a contact killer and might have some residual effects, but theres a lot it doesnt work on, the sevin takes care fo most of the rest. I need to get that catapillar bt stuff b/c they're the ones that move in and really wreak havok, sevin works on them, but I dont think it uses that BT bacteria that kills catapillars as part of its mix.

Also get slugs and snails. Slug bait seems to work ok on those. I actually tried beer traps last night with no results, but I'd put out slug bait last week so there just might be none around.

Last year I started getting weird gross thin and small millipede worm looking things that come out at night, they're so thin and legs so small I thought they were some kind of pest worm, they look like some kind of giant nematode. I know the neem spray didnt work on those, I dont recall if I tried the sevin.

I got one of those accordion looking dusters off amazon for sevin and other stuff, but you have to open it and cover almost all the spray slots w/tape for it to work alright, it works fairly well when you do that. I think I might pick up a bulb duster at some point, they're pretty cheap and seem to work well.  
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:42:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Neem oil, DE, red pepper, Dawn soap.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 11:55:05 AM EDT
[#8]
Seven dust and Neem oil.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 4:29:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Neem Oil soap in solution. Spray it mixed with water and spray.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 6:58:47 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm trying BT this year to try and control Squash bugs. DiPel is what I'm using.
https://www.amazon.com/Valent-USA-Dipel-Biological-insecticide/dp/B0149J0GZG
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 5:02:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Sevin dust .
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:39:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Collecting plant debris and burning on-site goes a long way to pest and weed control.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 11:41:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Ducks.
Link Posted: Yesterday 11:06:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Top Top