Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2023 7:55:43 PM EDT
Has anyone loaded these in Grendel? Any good loads?

I found 400 in my stash and it looks like the only powder I have for it is tac. Time to test it!
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:07:42 PM EDT
[#1]
No but the 107 SMKs are tack drivers…I would expect the 120s to be as well.  No clue on Tac. H322 is my go to powder for Grendel ….8208 second choice. Let us know how it works out!
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:18:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By heat762:
No but the 107 SMKs are tack drivers…I would expect the 120s to be as well.  No clue on Tac. H322 is my go to powder for Grendel ….8208 second choice. Let us know how it works out!
View Quote

Thanks. Wish 8208 was still a thing. I ran out a year ago. Ladder test was a bust. Seating the rounds 2.250 had them in the lands. That’s what I get for short cutting my process. Need to measure seating depths and start from scratch.
Link Posted: 7/5/2023 9:56:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By heat762:
View Quote

Pretty much this.  The 107 SMK HPBT is the best kept secret in 6.5mm.  The Wolf Steel projectile shape was stolen from this, because this little bullet has a long range BC far beyond its weight class.  It's my favorite Grendel Bullet.   As to the 120 SMK, I run those too, and have to say, it too is a remarkably fantastic bullet.

A couple secrets to be aware with Grendel.
1) Most AR chambers throats are short.   Pay attention, as at times mag-length loads will be stuck in the lands and shoot like shit.  Adjustments to seating depth (i.e. making shorter than mag length), can at times turn a terrible load into a tack driver.
2) Modern metallurgy must have improved, or something - because Grendels can take a lot more pressure than what's originally published these days, even the AR's - though as always, you're on your own if you do choose to exceed book-max!

For powders, personally I've grown to quite like ARComp in Grendel.  To my surprise, good old ball TAC is probably the best powder I've run yet in Grendel.  Gives best velocity and some of my best accuracy.  I sometimes run 8208, but that's a powder designed to burn best at a higher pressure than you generally will get in a Grendel, and has a reputation of spiking up towards that higher pressure, when run in a Grendel - quickly.  
Link Posted: 7/6/2023 10:50:36 AM EDT
[#4]
My experience yesterday echos what you are saying. I am going to pick up a modified case and start over with known land depth.
Link Posted: 7/7/2023 10:27:48 PM EDT
[#5]
I wasn’t able to get a modified case today so I seated a dummy round progressively deeper until there were no signs of throat contact. Settled on an ogive length of 1.695” which gives an oal of @ 2.176”. This is way deeper than I expected but it shot really well. All 15 rounds of my ladder fell inside a 2” group. My one speed node was over 27.4 gr Tac at 2,179 fps. Max load per hodgdon was 28.6 which produced 2,259 with ejector swipes. I am going to test the 27.4 load for accuracy and see how it does. I have to say I am pretty happy with this 12” PSA upper that I got on sale years ago for $229. More results to follow along with, hopefully, some of those 107’s mentioned.
Top Top