Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/5/2024 7:17:26 PM EDT
Looking to add a scope to a Ruger American in .308.

Range from 100-300 yards. Target practice and some hunting.

Narrowed down to 3 I think

Leupold vx 3HD 3.5x10x40 firedot

Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44

Burris veracity 3x15.

All roughly the same price point

What ya'll think, any other suggestions?

Link Posted: 5/5/2024 7:26:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: m200maker] [#1]
All of those are great options. The vortex has really nice glass but with my old eyes the reticle is too fine and hard to see. An inexpensive option is the Bushnell AR-308. The reticle is easy to see, it has good eye relief and it’s very inexpensive. I seriously don’t understand why optics companies like Bushnell are overlooked these days.

I know I’m going to get fried for this. Have at it

I just looked at their site and it super FUDD and non tacticool at all.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:05:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#2]
Originally Posted By Grumple:

Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44

Burris veracity 3x15.

View Quote
15x is a lot of mag for hunting 100-300yd.

Of the three I'd go with Leupold without a second thought.  Nice locking turrets.  Daylight Bright Dot.  Great glass for mid priced scopes.  If you got good dope on a load, there's a coupon for free turret labelled in distance (or you could just use different color paint pens to dot the turrets at 100/200/300/+ yards).

I'd recommend saving up for VX5 2-10x42... hunting with 2X is WAY nicer than being stuck with 3.4X in case you get a nearby target.  And you can save a lot on Leupold VX3/5/6 because they aren't very "tactical" so they fly under the radar a bit and resale for a big discount.  I have the VX6 2-12x on my 6.5CM and love it, but VX6 really start to creep up there in price and, optically, is the same as the VX5 except with 6X zoom and more accessories.

Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:09:06 PM EDT
[#3]
I would seriously look at Trijicon’s offerings.  They are arguably more durable and have better glass than the others you are looking at and made in Japan. For example look at their Huron (non illum) or Credo line.  Something in the 2-10 or 3-9 would be great for what you describe.  I’m a NF guy but  I personally own a Huron 2.5-10x40 and a tenmile 3-18x44 and they are great scopes and the best in their price ranges imho. Especially for an optic you can depend on.

Here are some below.

Here is the Huron 2.5-10x40

For great light gathering here is a Credo HX 2.5-10x56 example

Here is a credo 3-9x40 example.

Also, a user on Rokslide does optic evals that can’t be found anywhere else. Very informative on the quality, zero holding and repeatability of different manufactures.  Highly recommend checking that out.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, for the money it’s hard to beat Trijicon. I would take them over most vortex or the cheaper Leupold scopes
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:18:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: crwdplsr] [#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Millennial:

Of the three I'd go with Leupold without a second thought.  Nice locking turrets.  Daylight Bright Dot.  Great glass for mid priced scopes.  If you got good dope on a load, there's a coupon for free turret labelled in distance (or you could just use different color paint pens to dot the turrets at 100/200/300/+ yards).

I'd recommend saving up for VX5 2-10x42... hunting with 2X is WAY nicer than being stuck with 3.4X in case you get a nearby target.  And you can save a lot on Leupold VX3/5/6 because they aren't very "tactical" so they fly under the radar a bit and resale for a big discount.  I have the VX6 2-12x on my 6.5CM and love it, but VX6 really start to creep up there in price and, optically, is the same as the VX5 except with 6X zoom and more accessories.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Millennial:
Originally Posted By Grumple:

Vortex Viper HS 4x16x44

Burris veracity 3x15.

I agree

The VX5 in 2x10 power is a really nice hunting scope

The question is do you support China and the Philippines?

Or.

USA and/or Japan?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 1:23:55 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Pureblood] [#7]
I have more than 10  Spina scopes, the most expensive one cost about $150.

I was leery at first but every single one of them whether SFP or FFP has been perfect.

I support the people of China, not the CCP.

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:53:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Op, give this a look
2.5-10
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:02:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By 3-gun:
Op, give this a look
2.5-10
View Quote

The Credo is a nice scope….a decent bang for the buck.  I just saw some good sale prices recently …..I can’t remember but I think it was Midway
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By crwdplsr:

The Credo is a nice scope….a decent bang for the buck.  I just saw some good sale prices recently …..I can’t remember but I think it was Midway
View All Quotes
Op, give this a look
2.5-10

Amazon Product
  • CONFIDENT AIMING IN ANY LIGHT: User-selectable LED brightness settings with an "off" in between each setting to adapt to any environment

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:55:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Duck_Hunt] [#11]

www.amazon.com/dp/B083C5KKQ7
View All Quotes
Op, give this a look
2.5-10

www.amazon.com/dp/B083C5KKQ7

@crwdplsr

Euro optic has deals on trijicons.

Here is the same model linked above for $1.50 less than Amazon. I’d much rather deal with EuroOptic than Amazon ymmv

Optics planet is another that has deals from time to time. IIRC I got my tenmile 3-18x44 FFP for $960 shipped from there back a few months ago.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 10:19:01 AM EDT
[#12]
If you are only shooting to 300 yards you don’t a giant tactical style scope with turrets. A simple BDC reticle in SFP will more than suffice. 2-10 is a great range.

I would prioritize weight and glass quality. I like the firedot series for this type of application.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 11:04:33 AM EDT
[#13]
How about 2-7x32?  Lighter, increased field of view and can be mounted closer to the bore.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top