Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2023 4:09:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22]
I have a really nice AR .308 I built. I want a 2-10 or 2-12. I had a Credo 2-10 and the lack of parallax just killed that optic. I was really disappointed.

I was think the Primary Arms GLX 2.5-10, but I don’t like chevrons.

The Athlon checks all the boxes, except for weight. I know it is Chinese, but I can look past that. Any thoughts
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:15:41 PM EDT
[#1]
There’s some pretty good reviews on YouTube. I’ve only heard good things about it.
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:24:39 PM EDT
[#2]
the vortex pst gen 2 FFP is really nice also
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 4:40:50 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jd2395:
the vortex pst gen 2 FFP is really nice also
View Quote

It is but it is a bit hefty
Link Posted: 12/4/2023 8:18:21 PM EDT
[#4]
yep, it's heavy.  

my new/old favorite is the gen 1 PST 2-10.  It's really light and very good glass.  I only use it at 2 or 10X so the SFP is not a problem
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 10:26:11 AM EDT
[#5]
One whole oz of difference between the vortex and the athlon. Only complaints I have heard about the athlon is the center dot is too big for precision shooting.
Link Posted: 12/9/2023 11:27:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CouchCommando22] [#6]
Originally Posted By Joedirt199:
One whole oz of difference between the vortex and the athlon. Only complaints I have heard about the athlon is the center dot is too big for precision shooting.
View Quote

I ended up getting both the PST Gen 2 in 2-10 and the Athlon in 2-12. Weight in hand is essentially identical. Only small weight difference can be determined by the scale. In all practical purposes, you won’t be able to tell the difference when mounted on a rifle.

They are both heavy, but not to the point of where you won’t be able to shoulder the rifle. I am going to mount one on a high end .308 gas gun and the other will go on a Ruger American Talo .308 with 16” barrel.

Optically, I personally can’t tell a difference in the glass clarity. The turrets on the vortex are a little better. There is virtually no play in the Vortex turrets and a just a tad in the Athlon.

The Vortex reticle is brighter, but the Athlon is better for holding over and ranging. I think the dot on the Athlon is fine, not too fat, but could be smaller.

Athlon was $450 out the door and Vortex was $720.

I think they are both better than the Credo 2-10 because both have parallax adjustment and that is a must on any MPVO. The lack of it is why I sold my Credo. It was a big let down.

Without knowing the price difference, I would take the Athlon because I like the reticle more. Factoring in the price of $450, if you are willing to accept the weight, it is bargain.

If either of these optics fail, you could bludgeon someone with them.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 8:48:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't know how many threads I've seen regarding an MPVO with a 2/2.5-10/15 FFP that is low weight, more compact than not, with a great reticle (preferably illuminated) and not crazy price (sub $1k).  

I don't have the Athlon, but I've read about it extensively, as I also am in pursuit of the same type of optic.  C_DOES gave it a great review, and I can't recall seeing much in the way of negatives outside of it's a little chunky and the 1 MOA dot can be a bit coarse for more precision based shooting.  Of the current options available under $1k that meet your criteria, it is a very solid choice.  For me, the weight just tips the scales for it's magnification range.

IMVHO, this category has a limited amount of options....

Trijicon Credo 2.5-10 (which you already tried and didn't like)
Athlon BTR G2
PA GLX 2.5-10
Burris Verocity 2.5-10
Vortex PST Gen 1 (SFP) and Gen 2 2.5-10 (FFP), with the Gen 2 being about the same weight as the Athlon

A few months ago PA had a sale on the GLX 4-16 for $499 with their XMas tree reticle in MIL (pretty sure it's the Athena).  The price got me, and I decided to pick it up for now.  I'm finding I like it more than I thought I would.  At 23oz, it's very light for it's magnification range.  The reticle does have a chevron, but it's much smaller in proportion to the overall reticle and haven't found it a hinderance for precision shooting.  It has thick 3, 6, and 9 o'clock outer crosshairs which aid a lot in low magnification shooting.  For me, it works decently at low magnification (better with illumination which is barely daylight visible) and does well at higher magnifications.

One thing I've learned is I like having the higher 16x as the max range.  The scope has a 44mm objective, so at the full 16x light gathering isn't terrible, but it does 10-12x much better than the scopes listed do at their max magnification.  Downside is it's a 4x on the low end, and for sure 2/2.5x would work better very close in.  FOV is fair, but proportionally better than the 2.5-10 version.  Turrets are great and it has parallax adjustment.  I've been researching MRDS's as a possible add on for close in.  Until something comes out that really nails it for me, for the price paid and for my needs, this setup is working well.

Link Posted: 12/28/2023 10:02:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By rauchman:
I don't know how many threads I've seen regarding an MPVO with a 2/2.5-10/15 FFP that is low weight, more compact than not, with a great reticle (preferably illuminated) and not crazy price (sub $1k).  

I don't have the Athlon, but I've read about it extensively, as I also am in pursuit of the same type of optic.  C_DOES gave it a great review, and I can't recall seeing much in the way of negatives outside of it's a little chunky and the 1 MOA dot can be a bit coarse for more precision based shooting.  Of the current options available under $1k that meet your criteria, it is a very solid choice.  For me, the weight just tips the scales for it's magnification range.

IMVHO, this category has a limited amount of options....

Trijicon Credo 2.5-10 (which you already tried and didn't like)
Athlon BTR G2
PA GLX 2.5-10
Burris Verocity 2.5-10
Vortex PST Gen 1 (SFP) and Gen 2 2.5-10 (FFP), with the Gen 2 being about the same weight as the Athlon

A few months ago PA had a sale on the GLX 4-16 for $499 with their XMas tree reticle in MIL (pretty sure it's the Athena).  The price got me, and I decided to pick it up for now.  I'm finding I like it more than I thought I would.  At 23oz, it's very light for it's magnification range.  The reticle does have a chevron, but it's much smaller in proportion to the overall reticle and haven't found it a hinderance for precision shooting.  It has thick 3, 6, and 9 o'clock outer crosshairs which aid a lot in low magnification shooting.  For me, it works decently at low magnification (better with illumination which is barely daylight visible) and does well at higher magnifications.

One thing I've learned is I like having the higher 16x as the max range.  The scope has a 44mm objective, so at the full 16x light gathering isn't terrible, but it does 10-12x much better than the scopes listed do at their max magnification.  Downside is it's a 4x on the low end, and for sure 2/2.5x would work better very close in.  FOV is fair, but proportionally better than the 2.5-10 version.  Turrets are great and it has parallax adjustment.  I've been researching MRDS's as a possible add on for close in.  Until something comes out that really nails it for me, for the price paid and for my needs, this setup is working well.

View Quote

I am not opposed to a 4-16 if the weight is right. I think these scopes were discontinued from the line though. I am looking to replace my VX-R 3-9x40 Patrol. Yes, the glass is pretty good and it’s light, but I need a reticle that’s more suited to my needs. I’ll keep an eye out for a 4-16 GLx. The 2-12s are interesting, but they are all Chinese and SFP. I think there might be a decent 2-12 coming to SHOT, but if it’s north of 24 oz, my interest fades drastically..
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:22:09 PM EDT
[#9]
I have two.  They both track well and repeatedly.  The reticle is awesome for hunting or "precision" .22lr.  They're heavy bitches though.

I like them enough that I ordered an Ares 3-18 with the UHD glass to try.

Link Posted: 1/19/2024 12:57:38 AM EDT
[#10]
This thread is relevant to my interests. I had been considering the PA GLx 2.5-10, but they are out of stock everywhere and it seems like people aren't too keen on the Chevron reticle (though I don't think I would mind it). With that said, I've been looking at this scope as a cheaper and readily available alternative and am probably going to pull the trigger on one soon.
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 7:13:12 PM EDT
[#11]
I freakin love mine. Holdovers are easy and it works great on my gas gun.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 8:58:18 AM EDT
[#12]
If PA would offer a traditional crosshair instead of the chevron I (and a ton of others) would be all over it.

Dialing with a chevron reticle doesn’t make any sense. If using holdovers, then it doesn’t need those nice turrets…
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 9:58:38 AM EDT
[#13]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top