Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/1/2023 6:12:46 PM EDT
I'm a big believer in dry firing drills, but am also a believer in not doing them with live ammo in the home. That presents a training issue in that the gun obviously weighs way less, so the muscle memory isn't going to be spot on like it should.

I have dummy rounds for other uses (simulating malfunctions, etc.), but I haven't found any 9mm that are "real" weights.

Any leads? Thanks ahead of time.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#1]
5 grains of powder x 12 rounds is a very little amount.  Just load without powder.
Link Posted: 8/1/2023 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DoctorCAD:
5 grains of powder x 12 rounds is a very little amount.  Just load without powder.
View Quote

Haven't made the jump into loading/reloading yet :(
Link Posted: 8/2/2023 12:51:52 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By anono:

Haven't made the jump into loading/reloading yet :(
View Quote

Got any friends that do?
It ain't hard to do- I've made dozens of them over the years in different calibers.
Link Posted: 8/3/2023 5:15:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes, another advantage of reloading.  I too have made dummy rounds in every caliber I use.

Mark them appropriately, of course.

Although I don't use them that much.  I don't see the weight differential between dry/live training as a huge deal, with regard to trigger work, anyway.
Link Posted: 8/4/2023 10:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Cool, thanks guys. I knew an old timer who reloaded, but he moved up North. Im a bit younger and it seems all my friends just are buy and go. Maybe ill give him a call and see if hell ship to me if i pay for it.

I mostly try to work on draw to getting on target quickly with dry firing, so the weight matters, or at least in my mind it does I guess. 18rnds is almost 1/2 lb, so i feel like that makes a difference in training over time. Anyhow, thanks for the suggestions.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top