Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/14/2021 12:02:29 PM EDT
I shoot several handguns on a fairly regular basis. I seem to have an issue with only Glock 9mm (19,17) where I consistently shoot low left. Every other handgun I shoot including a Glock 20 I shoot on target. I am thinking I need to adjust my grip? What advice do you guys have? I am not interested in drifting sights.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:28:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I think this may be due in part to finger placement on trigger, possible recoil anticipation and a factory trigger pull.
     Try pulling your trigger finger out a bit, and possibly try to place the hump on the rear bottom of the grip, more toward the center of the palm, than on the muscle of your shooting hand.
      A bit hard to explain that, but what I have done is, single hand grip of the gun, and then with the non shooting hand, twist the gun so the hump rotates down into the space between the muscles of your hand.
   Takes a bit of time to get the feel of this grip, every time, but should help make your grip a bit more stable.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 12:32:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 10one:
I think this may be due in part to finger placement on trigger, possible recoil anticipation and a factory trigger pull.
     Try pulling your trigger finger out a bit, and possibly try to place the hump on the rear bottom of the grip, more toward the center of the palm, than on the muscle of your shooting hand.
      A bit hard to explain that, but what I have done is, single hand grip of the gun, and then with the non shooting hand, twist the gun so the hump rotates down into the space between the muscles of your hand.
   Takes a bit of time to get the feel of this grip, every time, but should help make your grip a bit more stable.
View Quote

Yup, fundamentals. Trigger and grip.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:07:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Stabilize Your Firing Grip with the Wedge Hold - Massad Ayoob on Master Class Ep. 19
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:15:04 PM EDT
[#4]
If you have one of the extra blackstrap
pieces on to make the grip bigger
Take it off
I was shooting consistently left and
when I went back to just the original lower
The point of impact shifted to point of aim
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:20:32 PM EDT
[#5]
use the pad of your finger
not the knuckle joint
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 2:58:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Low and left for right handed Glock shooters, and low and right for left handed Glock shootersvare caused by the same thing.

Your hand is squeezing the grip of the gun as you pull the trigger.  While pulling the trigger you are also "dipping" your front sight.

Much of this is due to the way Glock triggers work.  There is nothing "wrong" with glock triggers, they just require a different type of trigger control.

Dry firing will allow you to see this happening and help you learn to correct it.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:21:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Dryfire will reveal all your sins.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 3:31:43 PM EDT
[#8]
OP says that other guns work normally for him, including a different flavor of glock.

OP - are the glocks all the same generation with the same size/shape grip?

Answer one - The Glock mantra - all errors are the fault of the user, so train around the things that aren't optimal for you.

Answer two - find guns with grip/trigger geometries that naturally work with you and stick with those.

Both answers have their good and bad sides. Is there value to learning to shoot a pistol who's shape is not quite right for you? Yup. Is needing to compensate differently for different pistols a problem? Yup.  If you stick to pistols that all work well with a single consistent grip/trigger geometry you'll be able to shoot them all without any large compensations, but you'll have challenges if you pick up a strange pistol.  Choose the path you like and have at it
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 4:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
Lousy trigger compared to a well tuned 1911.  Sloppy break and lots of drag will do it every time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2021 8:37:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Amish_Bill:
OP says that other guns work normally for him, including a different flavor of glock.

OP - are the glocks all the same generation with the same size/shape grip?

Answer one - The Glock mantra - all errors are the fault of the user, so train around the things that aren't optimal for you.

Answer two - find guns with grip/trigger geometries that naturally work with you and stick with those.

Both answers have their good and bad sides. Is there value to learning to shoot a pistol who's shape is not quite right for you? Yup. Is needing to compensate differently for different pistols a problem? Yup.  If you stick to pistols that all work well with a single consistent grip/trigger geometry you'll be able to shoot them all without any large compensations, but you'll have challenges if you pick up a strange pistol.  Choose the path you like and have at it
View Quote

The 19 is the 5th gen, the 17 is actually a p80 which I guess has a different grip angle.
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#11]
I've never held a 4'th or 5'th gen Glock, so I don't have any specific advise there. And, yes - I recall one of the P80 selling points was a different grip angle, but I suspect it's not the angle as much as other dimensions.

Does the 5'th gen still have swappable backstraps? I'd try running a drill or two with each of the different sizes.

The G20 - that's not one of the standard frames, right? It has the larger .45/10 grip? You pull the smaller ones but are OK with the bigger one? If the different grip inserts on your 19 don't help, maybe try thickening the grip with friction tape, a Hand-All kind of sleeve, etc.
Link Posted: 6/21/2022 6:05:47 PM EDT
[#12]
I agree with Mass, loosen your strong side grip, add more support grip.  I've been suggesting this to students for years with good results for those shooting low to the side of their support hands.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top