Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 4:49:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you are sticking with dumbbells and not going to do starting strength?

What routine did you decide to do, or did you decide to make up your own plan?
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 8:27:24 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
The boozing part isn't really a thing.
I only drink about once a month, if that.
I was looking at getting a set of proform adjustable dumbbells.
Does anyone have experience with these?
Dumbbells

View Quote

Not enough weight. Not expandable.

May seem crazy, but you'll outgrow those in 6 months or less.  At which point they have limited utility.

I'd find a pair that affords a wider range.  Something like power block system or selecttech 1090 pair would be a better buy.  By the time you outgrow those, you'll have a gym membership.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:06:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Not sure where you live or what your budget is like but I'd strongly suggest you look on the secondary market.  (Ebay, Play it Again Sports, Offer Up, etc)  Look for a set of Power Blocks that go up to 90 lbs each.  Those will give you a lifetime of great workouts. Around here they're going for $350 - $400. Overall, that's a pretty small investment in your health.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 12:16:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By lefty-weaver-g19:
Sounds like you are sticking with dumbbells and not going to do starting strength?

What routine did you decide to do, or did you decide to make up your own plan?
View Quote
Is the starting strength method all barbell work?
I've just been doing the routine on that list I posted on the first page until I get the book.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 1:34:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Is the starting strength method all barbell work?
I've just been doing the routine on that list I posted on the first page until I get the book.
View Quote

Yes you will need a barbell a bench and squat rack.  You can find the details of the routine on the starting strength website.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:32:08 PM EDT
[#6]

Yes you will need a barbell a bench and squat rack.  You can find the details of the routine on the starting strength website.
View Quote

Yup

Whatever routine (s) you choose, a bench and squat rack are necessary, even more so than dumbbells (although I'd argue that they both are almost necessary).
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:10:03 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By _Nataraja_:

Yup

Whatever routine (s) you choose, a bench and squat rack are necessary, even more so than dumbbells (although I'd argue that they both are almost necessary).
View Quote

Both are great.

The problem with DBs at home is that they are either cost prohibitive or you will eventually need more weight than what your adjustables can offer.  

I have a set of Nuobells.  They are great, but a squat rack, bench and barbell are a better buy. Especially for a beginner.  Add DBs later on.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 3:39:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

Both are great.

The problem with DBs at home is that they are either cost prohibitive or you will eventually need more weight than what your adjustables can offer.  

I have a set of Nuobells.  They are great, but a squat rack, bench and barbell are a better buy. Especially for a beginner.  Add DBs later on.
View Quote

@Nobody69s - Ignore my post about second hand Power Blocks.  I got too hung up on dumbbells.  ^This is the advice you seek.  DBs are a great addition later on, but focus on the basics first.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:22:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Okay, so no more dumbbells.
I'll swing by play it again sports at some point in the next week and check out what they have there.
Or craigslist also.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 5:32:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I'll swing by play it again sports at some point in the next week and check out what they have there.
Or craigslist also.
View Quote

Dumbells are great, but you still need a way to overload them.

Because of the bigger jumps it usually better to run a program that uses a double progression with larger weight jumps.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:47:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Or craigslist also.
View Quote

Here's some cheap plates.  Dick's has an Ethos Wall Mount Power Rack on clearance.  Not great, but it's $100.  They also have spotter arms to go with it on clearance.

I'm not finding any other racks on clearance now.  BalanceFrom and Fitness Reality go on sale often on Amazon and Walmart.  Add a cheap barbell, a Craigslist/Facebook bench, and you're gtg.  Don't let people you need all kinds of expensive stuff to start.

I still lift in a cheap rack and an old bench.  The only thing I splurge on is barbells, but a cheap barbell is fine until you grow out of it.

Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:52:25 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By Jarcese:

Here's some cheap plates.  Dick's has an Ethos Wall Mount Power Rack on clearance.  Not great, but it's $100.  They also have spotter arms to go with it on clearance.

I'm not finding any other racks on clearance now.  BalanceFrom and Fitness Reality go on sale often on Amazon and Walmart.  Add a cheap barbell, a Craigslist/Facebook bench, and you're gtg.  Don't let people you need all kinds of expensive stuff to start.

I still lift in a cheap rack and an old bench.  The only thing I splurge on is barbells, but a cheap barbell is fine until you grow out of it.

View Quote
Sounds good and thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 10:38:28 AM EDT
[#13]
Used is great, if there is stuff available in your area. When I bought equipment a few months ago, where I live, old rusty crap from walmart at play it again and private sale was priced much higher than new, much better equipment. Those wallmart bumper plates cannot be beat for the price, but you'll need to leave them out in the sun for a few weeks before you bring them inside your house. They off gas some nasty stuff. Also, weigh them, they can be off several pounds and can throw off your balance on things like overhead press. Get your change plates (0.75-10lb) from Titan, Rep, Rogue, Bells of steel, Fringe. Walmarts are more expensive, worse quality, and probably be missing some weights.

While you're waiting on the book, you can search for Starting Strength on Youtube, they have tons of videos on the program, every lift, etc. Also check out Garage Gym Reviews on Youtube for reviews, comparisons of most of the home gym equipment on the market.

Link Posted: 5/3/2024 3:05:25 PM EDT
[#14]
I bought almost all of my stuff used over the years and some of it many years ago.  Lots of crap for sale, but if you know what you are looking for good stuff can be found at great prices.  Especially this time of year as all the new years resolutions have worn off :-)
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 4:55:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Right now I'm doing the classic 3 sets of 10 reps.  I will do one warm up set with light weight. Some guys will do multiple warm up sets adding up incrementally to their first set weight, but I do a stretching routine before my weight lifting and then just the one warm up set (so far so good).

Keep in mind that the time between sets is a factor as well.  Some guys will go 1 minutes, some guys a 1:30 and when I'm on a heavy day I'll go as long as 3 minutes between sets.   Weight lifting for me is strength, I'm not trying to do a HIIT workout.  Although, I will sometimes do supersets to help reduce my workout time if I'm pressed for time that day. I make sure though that when I do supersets that I'm doing oppossing muscle groups so that I don't degrade the exercises.  

Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:07:01 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By MeatBag:
This is a good place to start

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlZPCJJOUfQ
View Quote

Damn good place. Lots of BS exercise influencers out there but he’s legit.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 5:19:30 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By KaerMorhenResident:
Right now I'm doing the classic 3 sets of 10 reps.  I will do one warm up set with light weight. Some guys will do multiple warm up sets adding up incrementally to their first set weight, but I do a stretching routine before my weight lifting and then just the one warm up set (so far so good).

Keep in mind that the time between sets is a factor as well.  Some guys will go 1 minutes, some guys a 1:30 and when I'm on a heavy day I'll go as long as 3 minutes between sets.   Weight lifting for me is strength, I'm not trying to do a HIIT workout.  Although, I will sometimes do supersets to help reduce my workout time if I'm pressed for time that day. I make sure though that when I do supersets that I'm doing oppossing muscle groups so that I don't degrade the exercises.  

View Quote
I was just reading about rest time in between sets and I haven't been resting long enough.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:09:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ASUsax] [#18]
The positive/negative thing is I'm very limited on space so I think those powerblocks would be right up my alley.
I started taking my protein powder again and plan to get some higher protein foods from the store tomorrow, so I think I'm on track so far.
View Quote

Woot has the Powerblocks on sale again.

$219 for the 0-50 pounders, and $90 for each expansion 50-70 and 70-90.

$400 for a pair of 90 lb dumbells is a hell of a deal.

https://sport.woot.com/offers/powerblock-sport-exp-stage-1-2-or-3z-9?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_1

I'm in favor of Barbell work, and that's mostly what I do, but you can do a hell of a lot with Dumbbells, provided you can go heavy enough.

ETA: I will also say that Dumbells don't require nearly as much equipment - racks, safety's, bars... as Barbell's really do to be safe. Not saying to not go that way, but you don't need to to start.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:47:59 AM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By ASUsax:

https://sport.woot.com/offers/powerblock-sport-exp-stage-1-2-or-3z-9?ref=w_cnt_wp_0_1

I'm in favor of Barbell work, and that's mostly what I do, but you can do a hell of a lot with Dumbbells, provided you can go heavy enough.

ETA: I will also say that Dumbells don't require nearly as much equipment - racks, safety's, bars... as Barbell's really do to be safe. Not saying to not go that way, but you don't need to to start.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
The positive/negative thing is I'm very limited on space so I think those powerblocks would be right up my alley.
I started taking my protein powder again and plan to get some higher protein foods from the store tomorrow, so I think I'm on track so far.

Those are smoking deals.

OP, folks telling you that barbell work is where it's at are not wrong.  You can lift heavier and heavier lifts = more volume and more volume = more strength and hypertrophy.

That said, I believe the dumbbells are a better starting place.  Starting out you're dealing with natural imbalances between left and right side.  

Dumbbells ensure that you're not cheating to one side. Dumbbells require growth and strength gains in tendons, ligaments, and small muscles that are required to balance and hold the Dumbbells. Dumbbells are easier to dump in the event you hit failure during a rep; you get pinned under a barbell but Dumbbells can be pushed to their respective sides.

Ideally, you'll graduate to plates and barbells for heavy compound lifts like the squat, deadlift, and bench press.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:25:30 AM EDT
[#20]

View Quote

Oh snap. If I was in the market for adjustables I don't think I'd pass that deal up.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 6:41:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tanren37] [#21]
So what chapters you make it through OP?

You got a line on a bar and plates?
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 7:27:41 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By Glck1911:

Oh snap. If I was in the market for adjustables I don't think I'd pass that deal up.
View Quote

Hell, I've thought about it, and I have a set of perfectly functional Bowflex 1090's.

I really want these new Rep x Pepins... but holy moly $$$. But 125#
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:56:00 PM EDT
[#23]

Hell, I've thought about it, and I have a set of perfectly functional Bowflex 1090's.

View Quote

Same here. I love my nuobells, but need more weight for a lot of exercises. I’ll likely pick a set of those up after they release.
Link Posted: 5/13/2024 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:
So what chapters you make it through OP?

You got a line on a bar and plates?
View Quote
No bar or plates yet, still working on my dumbbells and getting used to the heavier weight.
I'm working up to the barbells at some point though.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:23:54 AM EDT
[#25]

View Quote

I really like those. 18" long at 125#?  That addresses my primary complaint with Bowflex selecttech...the big ones are long and kinda ungainly.

I'll have to get a pair of these. May sell my bow flex pair.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 7:02:53 PM EDT
[#26]
No bar or plates yet, still working on my dumbbells and getting used to the heavier weight.
I'm working up to the barbells at some point though.
View Quote

You read the parts about progressive overload and why the barbell is the best way to achieve it?

Link Posted: 5/14/2024 8:19:52 PM EDT
[#27]
Nope not yet.
I have been progressively loading heavier weights on the dumbbells at the moment though.
I've been intaking more protein so it'll feed the muscles.
Link Posted: 5/14/2024 9:51:40 PM EDT
[#28]
More protein is good, but are you just taking in more calories now?  How's your macro breakdown?

You're putting your body through more stressors and are probably a little more hungry?  It's easy to justify another helping with "ah, I worked out," or "I need more protein."

But after awhile comes questions about "is it a body re-comp?"  But don't worry, commenters will reassure that muscle weighs more than fat, but, in actuality the 10 pound gain is about 1 muscle and 9 fat.

Everybody says diet is 80% of physique for a reason.  For middle aged or shit genetics or guys not on gear it's even more important, unless you really don't care about looks.

*I personally justify looking like "do you even lift" with being 6'1" with a girls sized wrists, having a wife that can cook, liking beer and occasionally posing as a "weightlifter."  But every six months or so I look in the mirror and say, "what the fuck," and go on a calorie restriction for a bit.    

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:52:07 AM EDT
[#29]
I've actually lost 8.5lbs since starting this adventure.
I'm mainly just eating more chicken and taking protein powder before the workout.
Been buying higher protein foods also.
Trying to drink more water and I've cut out sugar other than an occasional rootbeer haha.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 7:38:42 AM EDT
[#30]
I've actually lost 8.5lbs since starting this adventure.
I'm mainly just eating more chicken and taking protein powder before the workout.
Been buying higher protein foods also.
Trying to drink more water and I've cut out sugar other than an occasional rootbeer haha.
View Quote

Starting out, you'll first dump a lot of water weight.  Then fat.  "N00b gains" are very real; you'll ad some muscle, at a faster rate than later, in the first 4-6 months.

You said you wanted to get toned.  Sounds like a recomp to me.

I tell people it's 90% diet and 100% mental.  Be consistent, be honest with yourself.  Your daily calories are "sacred".  You've only got so many and you need to use them widely.

Cutting out simple carbs/sugars is good.  Cutting out processed foods will make a big impact as well...less bloating, less water retention.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:28:15 PM EDT
[#31]
I was just reading about rest time in between sets and I haven't been resting long enough.
View Quote

That Jeff Nippard guy on  YouTube, I bought one of his programs and for the large muscle groups he recommends up to 3 minutes rest between sets. That guy does seem to read a lot of legit studies published by various universities and so I started doing longer rest times and sure enough it actually works. I'm lifting more weight now than ever before.  

Link Posted: 5/15/2024 5:10:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jarcese] [#32]

That Jeff Nippard guy on  YouTube, I bought one of his programs and for the large muscle groups he recommends up to 3 minutes rest between sets. That guy does seem to read a lot of legit studies published by various universities and so I started doing longer rest times and sure enough it actually works. I'm lifting more weight now than ever before.  

View All Quotes

There was a pretty long thread in GD about this, wierd.  The trend in papers in towards longer rest times like you say.  It makes sense because every set should be your next best effort.  You shouldn't miss a rep because your timer went off at 2 minutes when you were still breathing heavy.  Taking longer does no harm in any study.  Unless a program prescribes the timer as general conditioning.  I don't remember if the timer is part of the routine in 5x5, it's been a while.

For me, a 3 minute timer is just a suggestion and a wake up timer when I get side tracked messing with my phone.   I'm never in a hurry though and that's a legitimate consideration when talking rest times.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:26:00 AM EDT
[#33]
I'm pushing 70. And I'm an old lady. I use up to 25lb dumbbells and want 30lb dumbbells. My home barbells can go up to 150lbs. That's just my home stuff, I also go to the gym.

Don't worry about getting ripped.  You don't have to try to be mediocre, even with effort you can remain mediocre.

People don't appreciate how much effort a person has to go to to quit being mediocre.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:30:50 AM EDT
[#34]
After reading a bit about lifting last night, I realize I should have bought adjustable dumbbells so I can progressively lift more weight as I get stronger...
View Quote

I don't care for adjustable dumbbells, doing hammer curls or skull crushers are too risky. Luckily for me I can afford to get fixed dumbells in weights challenging enough for me.

Also, I wrap the heavier ones with bicycle handlebar cork tape to protect my arthritic hands.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 7:31:54 AM EDT
[#35]

There was a pretty long thread in GD about this, wierd.  The trend in papers in towards longer rest times like you say.  It makes sense because every set should be your next best effort.  You shouldn't miss a rep because your timer went off at 2 minutes when you were still breathing heavy.  Taking longer does no harm in any study.  Unless a program prescribes the timer as general conditioning.  I don't remember if the timer is part of the routine in 5x5, it's been a while.

For me, a 3 minute timer is just a suggestion and a wake up timer when I get side tracked messing with my phone.   I'm never in a hurry though and that's a legitimate consideration when talking rest times.
View All Quotes

I had success with short rest periods and supersets when I was working to cut body fat.  I alternated between this and high weight/low rep strength training for about 1.5 years (I was carrying a lot of body fat).  IIRC, i would switch every 12 weeks.  My goal was a complete body recomposition.

4 years later I primarily work in hypertrophy ranges and work to failure.  It is MUCH more efficient to wait until your heart rate slows and I've seen great results.  The time is immaterial to me, I go by how I feel.

JMO based on anecdotal evidence, but I think if you're starting out lean-ish and weak (skinny fat) then longer resting periods will greatly help in building strength and muscle.  Conversely, if you're a fatty (like I was) starting out, then you need to keep your heart rate up for conditioning and fat loss.

Link Posted: 5/16/2024 5:10:58 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By rob78:

I had success with short rest periods and supersets when I was working to cut body fat.  I alternated between this and high weight/low rep strength training for about 1.5 years (I was carrying a lot of body fat).  IIRC, i would switch every 12 weeks.  My goal was a complete body recomposition.

4 years later I primarily work in hypertrophy ranges and work to failure.  It is MUCH more efficient to wait until your heart rate slows and I've seen great results.  The time is immaterial to me, I go by how I feel.

JMO based on anecdotal evidence, but I think if you're starting out lean-ish and weak (skinny fat) then longer resting periods will greatly help in building strength and muscle.  Conversely, if you're a fatty (like I was) starting out, then you need to keep your heart rate up for conditioning and fat loss.

View Quote
I have a little belly as long as I can remember, but working on that.
I would consider myself semi-fit.
Sitting there in between sets is tough for me because I just want to keep going.
But when I rested for about a minute and a half I found it easier to get through the next sets.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 4:49:28 AM EDT
[#37]
What routine are you currently using?  

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 7:00:21 AM EDT
[#38]
There's plenty of good advice here so I'll just comment on the core piece: planking.  You've got 15 sec x 3.  That's extremely light, even for just starting out.  I'm not a dedicated or big lifter.  I just try to workout a few times a week to keep extra pounds off.  I followed this plank challenge a few times last year and it helped out quite a bit.  Something easy to follow along and I just cranked it out every day after work quick.  You'll see benefits pretty easily compared to what you're doing now.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:24:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By Weasel_Master:
There's plenty of good advice here so I'll just comment on the core piece: planking.  You've got 15 sec x 3.  That's extremely light, even for just starting out.  I'm not a dedicated or big lifter.  I just try to workout a few times a week to keep extra pounds off.  I followed this plank challenge a few times last year and it helped out quite a bit.  Something easy to follow along and I just cranked it out every day after work quick.  You'll see benefits pretty easily compared to what you're doing now.

https://i.pinimg.com/736x/ea/81/ad/ea81ad30bc72ffc4699739d09d8e053c.jpg
View Quote
That's interesting.

Link Posted: 5/21/2024 2:37:51 PM EDT
[#40]
What routine are you currently using?  

View Quote
Here's what I'm doing and what weight I'm doing it at for the moment.
-15x3 weighted squats w/35lb dumbbells
-10x3 push ups (or more if I can)
-plank x3 for approx 30 seconds
-20x3 calf press (I stand on little wedges w/35lb dumbbells and go on my tip toes)
-15x3 back rows w/35lb dumbbells
-15x3 bicep curls w/35lb dumbbells
-15x3 tricep extension w/20lb dumbbells
-15x3 chest press w/35lb dumbells
-20x3 laying glute press

I bought some adjustable dumbbells on amazon that go up to 50lbs and they sell expansion weights that give you an additional 30lbs total for 80lbs each on the total set.
They were pretty reasonable and feel good in the hand.
I'm planning on going up 5lbs every two weeks for now.
I'd buy a barbell set but I don't have the room in my house, it's little.
But I'm taking a few days off work to hopefully make some room in a shed for lifting type activities that will involve a barbell set.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 5:24:05 PM EDT
[#41]
Here's what I'm doing and what weight I'm doing it at for the moment.
-15x3 weighted squats w/35lb dumbbells
-10x3 push ups (or more if I can)
-plank x3 for approx 30 seconds
-20x3 calf press (I stand on little wedges w/35lb dumbbells and go on my tip toes)
-15x3 back rows w/35lb dumbbells
-15x3 bicep curls w/35lb dumbbells
-15x3 tricep extension w/20lb dumbbells
-15x3 chest press w/35lb dumbells
-20x3 laying glute press

I bought some adjustable dumbbells on amazon that go up to 50lbs and they sell expansion weights that give you an additional 30lbs total for 80lbs each on the total set.
They were pretty reasonable and feel good in the hand.
I'm planning on going up 5lbs every two weeks for now.
I'd buy a barbell set but I don't have the room in my house, it's little.
But I'm taking a few days off work to hopefully make some room in a shed for lifting type activities that will involve a barbell set.
View Quote

You been reading SS?

Not to critique or have you change what you're doing; just adding to the discussion.  

Compound movements work multiple muscle groups.  A squat isn't just working your quads.  In your case, I'd guess your holding the weights around shoulder height?  A DB front squat.  It's quad dominant, because your torso is upright, but you're stabilizing your trunk with your core (, hate that fucking word) as well as lower back.  You're also engaging the posterior, hamstrings, glutes and even the caves to an extent.  This is why guys harp on the "big 4" so much.  Pound for pound and minute for minute, compounds give the most stimulus, and if your going to depth on those squats, it probably feels like you're putting in some work, right?

The squat, push up/press and row are compound movements, more or less.  The calf press, curl and tri x are isolation movements, only working a small number muscle groups.  Understand you're limited on space and equipment right now; but you're loading compound and isolation exercises the same, 3 sets all at the same weight.  

So a question.  What is more fatiguing, the 3 sets of squats or the 3 sets of calve raises?

Now, equipment improvisation.

You have something you can grab onto and hang from?  A ceiling joist, tree limb?  Pull ups or chin ups will work a lot more than just curls.

What about two things you can suspend yourself between, two chairs, or even one would work.  Dips will work a lot more than just tri extensions.
Link Posted: 5/21/2024 9:24:33 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By Tanren37:

You been reading SS?

Not to critique or have you change what you're doing; just adding to the discussion.  

Compound movements work multiple muscle groups.  A squat isn't just working your quads.  In your case, I'd guess your holding the weights around shoulder height?  A DB front squat.  It's quad dominant, because your torso is upright, but you're stabilizing your trunk with your core (, hate that fucking word) as well as lower back.  You're also engaging the posterior, hamstrings, glutes and even the caves to an extent.  This is why guys harp on the "big 4" so much.  Pound for pound and minute for minute, compounds give the most stimulus, and if your going to depth on those squats, it probably feels like you're putting in some work, right?

The squat, push up/press and row are compound movements, more or less.  The calf press, curl and tri x are isolation movements, only working a small number muscle groups.  Understand you're limited on space and equipment right now; but you're loading compound and isolation exercises the same, 3 sets all at the same weight.  

So a question.  What is more fatiguing, the 3 sets of squats or the 3 sets of calve raises?

Now, equipment improvisation.

You have something you can grab onto and hang from?  A ceiling joist, tree limb?  Pull ups or chin ups will work a lot more than just curls.

What about two things you can suspend yourself between, two chairs, or even one would work.  Dips will work a lot more than just tri extensions.
View Quote
When I do my squats I hold the dumbbells down to my sides and kind of move them to the front so I don't knock my knees on the way down.
Don't really know if this is or isn't the right way to do them.
I do squat all the way down, no cheating here.
It feels like I'm getting something done with the squats and doing this workout routine has some positive effects on my shoulder muscles for sure.
I've paged through the starting strength book but haven't hit it hard yet in the reading dept.
The squats are for sure more fatiguing than the calf presses.
I was just trying to get more of a full body type workout all at once rather than alternate.
But I'm still really new to this, so any advice from you guys is good advice in my book!
I have a loft in my shed that I could do pull ups from and figure out something for doing dips eventually also.
I might have to get creative with that one though haha.
Thanks for the advice on the compound stuff!

Link Posted: 5/22/2024 7:23:07 AM EDT
[#43]
When I do my squats I hold the dumbbells down to my sides and kind of move them to the front so I don't knock my knees on the way down.
Don't really know if this is or isn't the right way to do them.
I do squat all the way down, no cheating here.
It feels like I'm getting something done with the squats and doing this workout routine has some positive effects on my shoulder muscles for sure.
I've paged through the starting strength book but haven't hit it hard yet in the reading dept.
The squats are for sure more fatiguing than the calf presses.
I was just trying to get more of a full body type workout all at once rather than alternate.
But I'm still really new to this, so any advice from you guys is good advice in my book!
I have a loft in my shed that I could do pull ups from and figure out something for doing dips eventually also.
I might have to get creative with that one though haha.
Thanks for the advice on the compound stuff!

View Quote

Try holding the dumbbells at your shoulders when you squat.  Similar to how you'd hold them for a shoulder press.

This will put more leverage on your trunk/core during the squat giving you more stimulus.  You'll have to stabilize the dumbbells so you'll get more work for your shoulders as well.

Starting out you want to be efficient.  Like the poster above said, compound moves give you the most bang for your buck.  They tax your entire body and your nervous system.

You can move to isolation exercises after you've built your strength.
Link Posted: 5/22/2024 10:11:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Nobody69s] [#44]
I'll try that thanks.
ETA: Tried holding the dumbbells at shoulder height during today's workout.
WOW, that's way harder than the way I was doing it!
This is why I love this forum, there's so many people with knowledge on here.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Top Top