[Last Edit: Green0] [#1]
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 9:58:19 PM EDT
[#2]
The internet is a place of drama.
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:31:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DefenderAO] [#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By marinc:
What rifle setup and ammo? for the RC2 and the  M4SD-K?
View Quote

10.5" carbine gas RC2

11.5 carbine gas M4SDK

Not the same hosts, but the they were not comparable even with the slight host differences.

The RC was solid for sure.  I wouldn't touch an RC3 for 1700.00 with worse performance then an RC2 with flash and sound
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 10:35:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By Ryan_Scott:
The internet is a place of drama.
View Quote

Tell us more about what we see in the video
Link Posted: 12/14/2023 11:14:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#5]
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 11:42:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Some shooting footage with the RC3, RC2, SBS, Velos, Mini2, and the little KAC peanut, including at night unaided and with NV (and full auto):

The Surefire RC3 Chat video ft. Velos , RC2 ,SB2 , HUX , KAC PRT and THE CHOSEN ONE.

(Not me/my video.)
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:22:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By DDS87:
Some shooting footage with the RC3, RC2, SBS, Velos, Mini2, and the little KAC peanut, including at night unaided and with NV (and full auto):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldKqcVRfQVw
(Not me/my video.)
View Quote

I watched that right after it came out. I found the Velo tone change from ASR to Rearden interesting. I've converted my Saker 556 to Rearden and didn't notice much.

On the RC3, it looked like it performed about the same for flash. I would like to know the exact conditions that lead to the flamethrower picture.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 1:49:15 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By M1Lou:

I watched that right after it came out. I found the Velo tone change from ASR to Rearden interesting. I've converted my Saker 556 to Rearden and didn't notice much.

On the RC3, it looked like it performed about the same for flash. I would like to know the exact conditions that lead to the flamethrower picture.
View Quote
simple, using a closed tine muzzle device
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:03:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Diesel1979] [#9]
Curious what the brake would do on a RC3. I would have to assume just as bad. I run brakes with all my RC2’s on MK18’s and an 16” gun and they seem to perform pretty well, however, I don’t do a lot of shooting in the dark.

Link Posted: 12/16/2023 9:27:49 AM EDT
[#10]
Per surefire a brake would compromise RC3 flash performance. With the exception of mounting and cosmetics RC2 cannot be compared to RC3.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:17:09 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By Diesel1979:
Curious what the brake would do on a RC3. I would have to assume just as bad. I run brakes with all my RC2's on MK18's and an 16" gun and they seem to perform pretty well, however, I don't do a lot of shooting in the dark.

View Quote
There's a video of it in this thread.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 12:43:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Diesel1979] [#12]
Originally Posted By ngc1300:
There's a video of it in this thread.
View Quote

I will have to go back and look, I only saw videos with the different flash hiders.  I must’ve missed it.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:05:43 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#13]
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 10:03:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Does anyone know when the FDE RC3 will be available?
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:22:48 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By P229SAS:
Does anyone know when the FDE RC3 will be available?
View Quote

I have seen some people mentioning them as being in stock in various places, but I could never find one. If all else fails Capital Armory will refinish cerakote them for $100.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:22:54 PM EDT
[#16]
Another flash demo vid focusing on brake performance, using a 12.5" shooting PMC:

USING THE RC3 WITH A MUZZLE BREAK + SEEING FLASH SUPPRESSION

I'm grateful of everyone that scrambled to get this kind of flash demo/footage for this new and anticipated product, and I wish these kinds of videos with other products were made more frequently.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:29:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#17]
The Surefire RC3 Chat video ft. Velos , RC2 ,SB2 , HUX , KAC PRT and THE CHOSEN ONE.

I like how frank this guy is when talking about suppressors.

Another flash demo vid focusing on brake performance, using a 12.5" shooting PMC:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ABA77YA3Yg4

I'm grateful of everyone that scrambled to get this kind of flash demo/footage for this new and anticipated product, and I wish these kinds of videos with other products were made more frequently.
View Quote

Yah, honestly that looks fantastic.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:39:27 PM EDT
[#18]
Suppressor Stuff Ep 3 - Surefire SOCOM556-RC3: Backpressure & Flash Test
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:55:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Nintendo64:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5hhLyVTp47c
View Quote

Ooof, definitely tell it wasn't meant for the M249. I'm impressed it seemed to heat up worse than other cans as well, maybe that's why they went 100% Inconel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:16:42 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 12:12:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: DDS87] [#21]
New one from Ike/Big Tex, muzzle device and different ammo combinations on 12.5" uppers, RC2 vs RC3:

Surefire RC3 Flash Test : Part 2
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:23:43 AM EDT
[#22]
The BTO video was good. It also showed just how much gas leaked from the muzzle device without the labyrinth seal.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 2:57:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#23]
Man I'm glad the RC3 came out and had such a big controversy, everyone and their mother is now trying to develop a controlled flash testing algorithm. Surefire accidently innovating in the suppressor market

The one thing I have learned from of this is that most silencers, despite the fussing and anecdotal evidence, are all pretty similar in their flash performance. And we have learned that Flow through has advanced a lot in their flash mitigation capabilities to be damn near (or better) than some traditional cans. I will never give up my traditional cans, but it is looking like it will be difficult to justify their purchase in the future with flow through stepping up their game.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 3:11:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Now just need RC3 prices to be a little more in line with RC2’s.  Maybe 100-150 more.  :).  For now I’ll just keep blasting away with my RC2’s.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:42:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#25]
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:48:54 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Green0:
https://www.reddit.com/r/RooftopDefenders/comments/193eo6e/the_first_wave_of_suppressor_testing_is_here/

The ROF testing was interesting and proved that the RC3 is competitive in that metric.  It was I believe relevant that some of the cans glow like a lightbulb inside the 100 rds where others did not. The RC3 had possibly the worst light emission from the tube of the tested cans.  The KAC can looked like it had the best combination of flash reduction, light emission (lack thereof), and low cyclic rate.  

The Sierra 5 had the most cyclic increase of the tested cans at 17.8%, but it did well in light emission through the tube.    

In our testing our most recent cans have ~11% cyclic increase on 11.5" DI M16's, which is lower than the RC2 and Sierra 5 in the above test, but not on the same platform so hard to compare from that perspective.
View Quote

I agree, I was impressed with the KAC for these tests. It showed very little flash and it didn’t seem to get too red-hot on the M249.

The Surefire RC3 got crazy red-hot, compared to any of the other suppressors including KAC and Huxwrx
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:03:15 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By UMP45_Enthusiast:
Man I'm glad the RC3 came out and had such a big controversy, everyone and their mother is now trying to develop a controlled flash testing algorithm. Surefire accidently innovating in the suppressor market

The one thing I have learned from of this is that most silencers, despite the fussing and anecdotal evidence, are all pretty similar in their flash performance. And we have learned that Flow through has advanced a lot in their flash mitigation capabilities to be damn near (or better) than some traditional cans. I will never give up my traditional cans, but it is looking like it will be difficult to justify their purchase in the future with flow through stepping up their game.
View Quote

Maybe SF can shift resources to address the carbon locking tendency with their mount.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 12:18:36 PM EDT
[#28]
Originally Posted By Master_Blaster:

Maybe SF can shift resources to address the carbon locking tendency with their mount.
View Quote

The carbon locking nature of the Surefire is an overstated meme regurgitated by non-owners. Knowing what we know, if you willingly use a warcomp then it is user error.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:01:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#29]

The carbon locking nature of the Surefire is an overstated meme regurgitated by non-owners. Knowing what we know, if you willingly use a warcomp then it is user error.
View Quote

I've both read about & seen SF cans being carbon locked with the open tine FH.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 2:18:30 PM EDT
[#30]

If both read about & seen SF cans being carbon locked with the open tine FH.
View Quote
I've never had it personally, but I do wipe away excess carbon from the outside of flash hider when cleaning my guns.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:23:03 PM EDT
[#31]
I’ve not used the RCs amongst my three SF cans but carbon locking isn’t a big deal. You can take them off with a hammer and 2x4 or shoot them off.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 4:44:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#32]

If both read about & seen SF cans being carbon locked with the open tine FH.
View Quote

In all my years and time at training courses the only people I have heard complain about the carbon locking are people with warcomps and people who don't own Surefire cans.
Damn near everyone who doesn't fall into those two categories never seem to have an issue, including myself. The remaining portion of people who do experience the lock have also been the people I hear bragging, "I'm at 2000+ rounds without cleaning!" which is a prevalent mindset that makes me cringe.

Carbon will eventually find itself into threads and locking mechanisms regardless of design and that's just unavoidable physics. Add poor maintenance ethos to your suppressor use and you get people who get carbon locked repeatedly. I have to bust the strap wrench out to get my Flow556K off after a modest 200 rounds, I can't imagine how glued on it would be if I didn't.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 6:21:43 PM EDT
[#33]

In all my years and time at training courses the only people I have heard complain about the carbon locking are people with warcomps and people who don't own Surefire cans.
Damn near everyone who doesn't fall into those two categories never seem to have an issue, including myself. The remaining portion of people who do experience the lock have also been the people I hear bragging, "I'm at 2000+ rounds without cleaning!" which is a prevalent mindset that makes me cringe.

Carbon will eventually find itself into threads and locking mechanisms regardless of design and that's just unavoidable physics. Add poor maintenance ethos to your suppressor use and you get people who get carbon locked repeatedly. I have to bust the strap wrench out to get my Flow556K off after a modest 200 rounds, I can't imagine how glued on it would be if I didn't.
View Quote

Fair points. How would you rate their QD mount against others?
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:24:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: UMP45_Enthusiast] [#34]

Fair points. How would you rate their QD mount against others?
View Quote

Awful, to be honest. It's too heavy in both mechanism and muzzle device and I have had black spots on my hand from carbon leak out of the bottom. Will this increase the chances/rate it would get locked on over other systems? Oh yah and it will be worse compared to some others, but I think its really exaggerated these days.
The only benefits is the near removal of PoI shift when removing and reattaching and knowledge it won't be going anywhere. Other systems have done the latter of those two, though, with a lot less mass. Fortunately these two things are on the top of the list of things I am willing to trade for.

For me I wish Surefire had decided to forgo backwards compatibility to build a new lighter system, but sadly government contract probably dictated they maintain the old system.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 1:21:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#35]
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 2:54:51 PM EDT
[#36]
Regarding RTZ I believe surefire's mount is still among the best today.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:20:44 PM EDT
[#37]

Awful, to be honest. It's too heavy in both mechanism and muzzle device and I have had black spots on my hand from carbon leak out of the bottom. Will this increase the chances/rate it would get locked on over other systems? Oh yah and it will be worse compared to some others, but I think its really exaggerated these days.
The only benefits is the near removal of PoI shift when removing and reattaching and knowledge it won't be going anywhere. Other systems have done the latter of those two, though, with a lot less mass. Fortunately these two things are on the top of the list of things I am willing to trade for.

For me I wish Surefire had decided to forgo backwards compatibility to build a new lighter system, but sadly government contract probably dictated they maintain the old system.
View Quote

Doesn't appear to tighten the can down to the mount, rather just locks in through physical interference using the aft vertical shoulder of the muzzle device. As much as I have been disappointed with Dead Air as of late, their KeyMo ensures a tight seal & repeatability, albeit at the cost of ~4 oz of additional weight. No free lunch.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 11:54:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#38]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 5:05:32 AM EDT
[#39]
If the keymo sealed perfectly, they wouldn’t have a use for 6 or so forwardly ported holes in the newer collars.  There is obviously some leaking gas at the three keyways.

Im sure the SF system weighs 3.5 or so ounces to DA’s 5.

The SF collar pushes on a side of the rear of the muzzle device, but the mount is hanging in two bores, so it doesn’t get pushed out of alignment beyond whatever small tolerance they provide for the slip fit.
View Quote

Does KeyMo have a reputation for carbon locking? I hadn't noticed it being a particularly characteristic problem in the case of the Sandman, but there are accounts of it happening at times, which doesn't surprise me. Perhaps the Sierra 5 ports some of the gases back from inside the blast chamber in some fashion to facilitate the collar vents...
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:11:31 AM EDT
[#40]
Every SureFire can I own lines up perfectly concentric as long as you properly install the muzzle device.  DA Keymos….not so much.   POI with SF cans is very very little as well, while DA keymos POI is absolutely awful.   Things to definitely consider.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:10:02 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#41]
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 4:42:58 PM EDT
[#42]

The mount adapters are made by many suppliers with DA so different levels of quality is possible.   The cans themselves may be less straight than Surefire. I sort of feel like the DA can should mount as consistently as SF. AKA the kemo alignment should potentially be good.

Surefire is controlling maximum deviation by having the secondary support ring up front, so while the mount is driven by pushing a flange on the collar into the muzzle device on one side, the two diametrical datums dictate how far theangle can be (to a very tiny angle/ essentially aligned). My FA762SS is an example of that.  It is pretty straight but not perfect and has a light graze in the .350” tight bore to show for it. .350 at like 9” in front is threading a needle as centerfire cans go.

My personal experience with the sandman S was that the mount leaked gas because something from up front was blowing back at me.  I think thats what the six cuts in the collar are for- redirecting mount blow/by at the three muzzle device slots in the taper sideways and forward to reduce the user interaction with the leaking gas.
View Quote

Okay. I was thinking the taper should have sufficient area to provide an adequate seal, but I guess interfacing tolerance between the mount & the muzzle is at play. Guess I just thought the dimensional circumferential differences between them should be negligible, assuming the built-in CNC QC is adequate.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 9:49:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#43]
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#44]
Cool little demonstration, I like that people are making content like this to help people narrow their choices down:

HK416 + Surefire RC2 v RC3 SOCOM, RECOIL TEST | 9HR
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 8:11:05 PM EDT
[#45]
Cool little demonstration, I like that people are making content like this to help people narrow their choices down:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K03zaO_1oCg
View Quote

Going off the ejection pattern the flowthrough of it seems to be pretty solid. I've heard mixed reports that the can was "gassy" but watching this video I can't really see how it would be with a near-neutral ejection.

Just waiting for that Mini3 release.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:02:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Green0] [#46]
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 4:41:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Master_Blaster] [#47]
I saw 1 SF rep state the current RC3 isn't recommended for barrels under 10.5". They'd have to make a SB version, but there's currently no commitment to making a variant at the moment.
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 11:48:04 AM EDT
[#48]
I saw 1 SF rep state the current RC3 isn't recommended for barrels under 10.5". They'd have to make a SB version, but there's currently no commitment to making a variant at the moment.
View Quote

I'm sure it has the same restrictions as the SOCOM and RC2 of 10" minimum.

I highly doubt it's 10.5" when the DD setups they demonstrated with are 10.3"
Link Posted: 3/1/2024 6:44:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Some unconfirmed rumors have it that a Surefire rep said the Mini3 will probably not be on the market until the end of 2024 instead of this Summer.

Wonder what the delay is caused by if true, maybe having trouble scaling their design down to 5"?

Link Posted: 3/1/2024 8:06:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

I'm sure it has the same restrictions as the SOCOM and RC2 of 10" minimum.

I highly doubt it's 10.5" when the DD setups they demonstrated with are 10.3"
View Quote

There are still 10.3” Mk18s in US .mil use, so quibbling over a quarter inch would be dumb as shit. They will have engineered it to work on a Mk18 10.3” if they did it with 10.5” in mind. I wonder if someone misspoke? I feel lime this conversation happened when the Turbo K was introduced, as well.
Page / 7
Surefire RC3 (Page 6 of 7)
Top Top