Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Posted: 5/9/2024 10:42:50 PM EDT
First things first, I know very little about AKs.
I needed some stuff from a local guy and the only way we could make the deal happen is if I purchased the whole lot which included this rifle.
I have no desire to keep it but need to sell this thing for a fair price to recoup some cash.

Saiga Izhmash 5.45 unconverted.
Round count is sub 100.
I don’t have the original sporter stock but if it would help sell it I could manage to get one.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:04:22 AM EDT
[#1]
at least it's dimpled. I've seen people asking crazy numbers for these, and I think there was a time people were paying the crazy #'s.

Cons:

-It's in 5.45. 5.45 guns seem to be slow moving these days
-not converted (it's not hard, but there is a lot that goes into it.)

Pros:

-no longer imported. Priced right and it will sell fast
-it's a factory rifle with a good barrel

There's a lot more pros than cons that I didn't list, but you were looking for a price.

I'd say, if you seriously want to sell it, $850 to $900 might move it pretty quick. I've seen some 900+ range sit around for awhile.

Good luck.  
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 8:50:35 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nictra:
at least it's dimpled. I've seen people asking crazy numbers for these, and I think there was a time people were paying the crazy #'s.

Cons:

-It's in 5.45. 5.45 guns seem to be slow moving these days
-not converted (it's not hard, but there is a lot that goes into it.)

Pros:

-no longer imported. Priced right and it will sell fast
-it's a factory rifle with a good barrel

There's a lot more pros than cons that I didn't list, but you were looking for a price.

I'd say, if you seriously want to sell it, $850 to $900 might move it pretty quick. I've seen some 900+ range sit around for awhile.

Good luck.  
View Quote

I appreciate the response!
What kind of ROI do you think there would be after fully converting it?
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 9:32:20 AM EDT
[#3]
Well again, that depends on the conversion. You going to rivet on a new trigger guard and pg reinforcement plat? Going  to rivet in the proper bullet guide? Or just do the bolt on stuff? Then there's the while front end parts. You going to use Bulgarian or Russian parts? Also welding up the holes in the receiver or plugging them?

Again, this stuff isn't hard, there's just a lot to do when converting the gun.

There's also something to be said about it being nonconverted, some people .ay prefer it that way so they will then know what is being done to convert it.

Again, you asked about price. I'd say if you got all the parts together, did the conversion,  you're looking at maybe $1500 for a home conversion? I'm guessing here. I stopped converting when these stopped being $300.

My assumption is you're going to spend more $ getting the parts together these days than youll get back out of it. Used to be I could buy all the parts and the rifle for under $600 and do the conversion in an afternoon in my garage.

You'll need:

Front site block
Gas block
Muzzle device
Handguard retainer
Round file to cut retainer slot
Pistol grip reinforcement plate
Bullet guide
Rivet kit
And stock set

And to really finish it off

Weld the extra holes
Cleaning rod
Tool kit for stock
And a refinish on the whole rifle
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:59:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: dmk0210] [#4]
Originally Posted By FBATFE:
What kind of ROI do you think there would be after fully converting it?
View Quote
Leave it unconverted and sell it as is. It's a factory built Russian AK.   There are guys sitting on stacks of spam cans of 5.45.  One of them would love an unconverted Saiga for their AK-74M project.. These will never be imported again.

If you convert it, quality becomes suspect unless you can document a well known and respected AK smith did the work. And the guy buying it will be very particular about what components were used.

Converting one of these is a passion project. Monetarily ROI goes negative, but if only a real Russian AK will do, this is the only base to start with.
Page AK-47 » AK Discussions
AK Sponsor: palmetto
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top