Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/5/2024 9:47:37 AM EDT
Is it safe to use a quality 16650 in the Streamlight TLR RM2? No word back from Streamlight about this yet.
Thx!
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 5:17:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tiribulus] [#1]
I can't tell you if this particular combination is safe. Maybe.

A couple CR123A in series would be around 6 - 6.5 volts. However, the light will regulate that down I'm betting. A single 18650 has a nominal voltage of 3.7

Bottom line is, it's not likely to hurt it to try I wouldn't think. However, somebody who knows a lot more about the electronics of weapons lights could tell you better than I can. There's other possible considerations.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 8:55:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used 16650 in my RM2 and a surefire without issues. I dont think it gets as bright as with CR123 but it works.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 9:09:10 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By No1MAXIMUS:
I have used 16650 in my RM2 and a surefire without issues. I dont think it gets as bright as with CR123 but it works.
View Quote

For what its worth, I use 16650's in my SF G2X's and 6PX's.  They don't get as bright, but for a handheld light for me, its not a deal breaker.  I wouldn't use them for the cost of CR123's otherwise.

There's an odd deal, where it doesn't read the double press on the low/high if you go too fast.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 11:51:23 PM EDT
[#4]
OP... get a couple of SureFire rechargeable 123s and you accomplish what you want.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:40:34 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DasRonin:
OP... get a couple of SureFire rechargeable 123s and you accomplish what you want.
View Quote

Actually, I already have those.
However, two of them still have less than half the capacity of 16650s, hence my interest in 16650s.
But thx for the suggestion!
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 11:10:34 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tomac] [#6]
I just heard back from Streamlight, and they don't recommend rechargeable batteries in any of their products not designed for them.
I understand how a couple of RCR123'[email protected] could cause overvoltage problems, but a 16650 would be 3.7v and thus under voltage so that *shouldn't* cause problems, iirc.
I don't know if this is due to actual technical issues or is just a 'cya' in case someone's Streamlight gets damaged from using over/under-voltaged rechargeables.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top