Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/7/2024 8:33:04 PM EDT
Geetings all!

So, my original thread about a nifty container for holding areoshell grease with a brush on the lid was archived, so I need a new thread.

Due to a burglary that totally cleaned out all of my gunsmithing tools, among other things, I've been having to re-create what I lost, including a new aeroshell contain.

Unfortunately, this time, the container was used, with a ton of residue grease in it.  Paper towels rammed into it have only been able to do so much.

So... anyone have any advice as to how to clean the damn thing out so I can fill it up fresh areoshell and not worry about whatever was in it contaminating things?

Google mainly returns results aimed at cleaning food grease out of food containers... which I may just go ahead and try unless anyone has any better advice...

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:41:00 PM EDT
[#1]
Have any MIL-PRF-680?
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:53:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Diesel fuel cuts grease very well. A little agitation with a parts brush will make short work of your container. A follow up with some starting ether will flush any fuel residue and leave the container bone dry.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:57:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Huh.

Crap, I was hoping something like "hot water and soap" would do.  

I really hope I don't need to go buy a bunch of supplies to get this to work.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:01:17 PM EDT
[#4]
Heat it with a hair dryer.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 9:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By MoparMike:
Heat it with a hair dryer.
View Quote

Hmmm...

Well, the grease, whatever it was, was undoubtedly used in firearms, so it may have a high heat tolerance.  I might try this, though.
Link Posted: 5/7/2024 10:41:11 PM EDT
[#6]
Dawn dish soap and hot water usually works. It might help to first try cutting the grease with WD40 or something like that first.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 11:36:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Akin:
Huh.

Crap, I was hoping something like "hot water and soap" would do.  

I really hope I don't need to go buy a bunch of supplies to get this to work.
View Quote

You need something the will dissolve the grease.  Gasoline, diesel, some type of dry cleaning solvent.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#8]
If it is a petroleum product, petroleum (gas) should cut it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 12:57:12 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
If it is a petroleum product, petroleum (gas) should cut it.
View Quote

I've no idea what it is.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:45:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:07:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By KB7DX:
Is the container metal or plastic? If it's metal, boil it in water. This will

make the grease a liquid and will float to the top of the water.

Finish clean container with some carb cleaner, alcohol or other solvent.
View Quote

It's plastic.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:39:16 PM EDT
[#12]

It's plastic.

View Quote

Head over to Autozone, or nearest auto parts store and try CRC Electronic Cleaner.  It's good and plastic safe.
https://www.crcindustries.com/qd-174-electronic-cleaner-4-5-wt-oz/
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 4:50:14 PM EDT
[#13]

It's plastic.
View Quote

Not all plastic is created equal.  Oil and gas will melt though some plastics, and not harm others.  I'd expect if it had grease in it, it won't melt.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:01:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Not all plastic is created equal.  Oil and gas will melt though some plastics, and not harm others.  I'd expect if it had grease in it, it won't melt.
View Quote

These containers were made to store some kind of firearm grease, so it might be fairly rugged.  Not sure what was in it originally though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:10:42 AM EDT
[#15]
Geetings all!

So, my original thread about a nifty container for holding areoshell grease with a brush on the lid was archived, so I need a new thread.

Due to a burglary that totally cleaned out all of my gunsmithing tools, among other things, I've been having to re-create what I lost, including a new aeroshell contain.

Thanks!
View Quote

Made sure to have my home security stuff sorted out BEFORE moving anything of value into the current home.

It only took me one time getting broken into long ago for me to wake up and become proactive and thankfully that theft did not cost me a great deal of dollars worth of replacing stuff.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:19:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Im around grease almost daily.

Diesel fuel/gasoline will remove it but you and the container will smell like shit.

Parts solvent, brake clean, acetone, paint thinner would be among my first choice(s)

Surfactant type de-greasers generally work fine,  but require more work from you as well
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 2:14:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: QtrHorse] [#17]
I would try denatured alcohol (99%).  It will have the least effect on the plastic container.  If that does not work, Dawn dishwashing soap.  If it’s good enough for cleaning crude oil off ducks, it should get rid of residual grease but denatured works almost always for me.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top