Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2024 7:28:21 PM EDT
What's a good non reflex style optic that has a "donut of death" circle / dot type style reticle?

I want something that doesn't have an open emitter for durability and keeping the lense clear of dirt / debree.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:09:59 PM EDT
[#1]
ACOG
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:14:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Nobody69s:
ACOG
View Quote

Which model specifically would you recommend for a shotgun?  Any less pricy alternatives?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:14:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Blain:
What's a good non reflex style optic that has a "donut of death" circle / dot type style reticle?

I want something that doesn't have an open emitter for durability and keeping the lense clear of dirt / debree.
View Quote

Vortex had their DRT reticle (dual ring tactical or something like that), which is close and might work for you.  They added one too many rings for me tho.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 8:54:25 PM EDT
[#4]
If you’re looking for budget a holosun on a low mount would work for a shotgun.  That’s how mine is setup.  I do wish I spent more for an eps through, as it would sit a little lower
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:22:36 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blain] [#5]
What's an EPS?  I'm concerned about the open emitter on the Holosun getting smeared with dirt, mud, rain, etc.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:40:08 PM EDT
[#6]
What's an EPS?  I'm concerned about the open emitter on the Holosun getting smeared with dirt, mud, rain, etc.
View Quote

Eps is a closed emitter holosun
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 10:21:10 PM EDT
[#7]
But also, holosun 503 is an aimpoint clone, gas a closed emitter, and has a circle dot. I've looked at the 503 real hard for my shotgun, but have yet to make it happen.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 10:55:10 AM EDT
[#8]
The Holosun 509 series has been awesome for me so far on a pistol. It’s an enclosed emitter but it has its a proprietary mount which can be tricky for finding a mount. I had to get my pistol cut for it by a custom shop.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 11:15:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RDTCU] [#9]
PA's current 1x microprism is solid.
New version coming out with even more eye relief range.
Most of a circle, and a ^ instead of a dot, but close.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:44:19 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By sticman77:
If you’re looking for budget a holosun on a low mount would work for a shotgun.  That’s how mine is setup.  I do wish I spent more for an eps through, as it would sit a little lower
View Quote

View Quote

At least TRY .
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:25:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#11]
Originally Posted By RDTCU:
PA's current 1x microprism is solid.
New version coming out with even more eye relief range.
Most of a circle, and a ^ instead of a dot, but close.
View Quote

Not really close.  IDK why they insist on that ^ in a 1x optic that would be a direct replacement for a red dot for those with astigmatism.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:33:49 AM EDT
[#12]
The Vortex Spitfire has a donut reticle
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 12:37:45 PM EDT
[#13]
In addition to 503, 509 and EPS mentioned above, Holosun also has 512, 515 and 530 enclosed emitter sights with circle-dot reticles.

As far as mounts, I used a Holosun HS503G-ACSS in an A.R.M.S. #31 mount to get the sight as low as I could on the picatinny rail section of a Mossberg 930 SPX. That mount would work for any of the Holosun 503 series sights (also 403 but they don’t meet your circle-dot requirement).
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:33:47 PM EDT
[#14]
R.I.P. to the EE
View Quote

Ya, the powers that be really F'd it up.  Filed under the "don't fix what ain't broke" tab...
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 10:37:35 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By PacNW5:
The Vortex Spitfire has a donut reticle
View Quote

One donut too many, many will argue.  And I am one of them.

They should have made the outer donut fatter, like the inner donut and eliminated the inner donut entirely.  Not sure who has the dumbest reticles, Vortex or Burris, it is close
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 6:35:05 AM EDT
[#16]
I honestly don't understand this "closed" emitter obsession. "Open" emitters are sealed. They should have a sealed glass window over the emitter. If something gets on that window, wipe/shake it off... good as new.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 12:12:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By DevL:
I honestly don't understand this "closed" emitter obsession. "Open" emitters are sealed. They should have a sealed glass window over the emitter. If something gets on that window, wipe/shake it off... good as new.
View Quote

That's the only issue.
Tiny drop of water/mud/lint in the wrong spot and the optic is useless until you clear it.
Not an issue at the range, possible issue on a woods gun.
Hasn't made me change over yet but it's a valid concern for some.
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]

That's the only issue.
Tiny drop of water/mud/lint in the wrong spot and the optic is useless until you clear it.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By DevL:

That's the only issue.

I switched to a EPS on my EDC 43X because if I did not stay on top of lint build up on the inner lens of the previous 507K that the sight was unusable and too occluded to see the front sight
Link Posted: 5/15/2024 2:36:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Closed emitters can fog up if not sealed.
There is a guy on YT (?) that covers this.
Link Posted: 5/16/2024 1:55:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#20]
Originally Posted By motoguzzi:
Closed emitters can fog up if not sealed.
There is a guy on YT (?) that covers this.
View Quote

If it isn't "sealed", it isn't even worth consideration.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top