Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/8/2024 2:00:44 PM EDT
Just finish a new primary rifle build and trying to decide on light. Previously I’ve run protac hlx lights and been mostly happy with them but looking for an upgrade on this rifle.

I’m trying to decide between
Malkoff e2xtl 18650.  $250
Modlite plhv2 18650.  $290
M640dft                       $295

My initial thought was the surefire since it’s a surefire and I like the adjustable mount on the new pro scouts but doing some reading it sounds like the sf dual fuels were hot garbage and couldn’t keep up with other brands. Since the turbo came out it sounds like initial reviews were more positive but not much for long term reviews. All of these lights would have a tail cap to start but eventually change to pressure switch. Can anyone help narrow down what would be best route to go or who has experience with these?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 2:59:40 PM EDT
[#1]
There is only one master race.

Malkoff
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:04:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Surefire 640dfT hands down. better output than both of those lights and the street price is more like $260 shipped. no need to spend more money for another mount either.

It's gonna have better resale and be easier to sell than the other brands.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:07:28 PM EDT
[#3]
I’ve got all of those. Same malkoff head, same modlite (it’s my handheld), surefire df640, and I have a first gen cloud rein.

The rein and malkoff are the same, except the rein is a lot warmer light color.

The surefire is powerful and it’s on my main squeeze 13.7, but I prefer that it’s mostly spill.

The modlite has more candela and lumens than all of them, and i like it the best. It’s just got more balls.

The surefire turbo lights are fantastic and the specs blow away the other lights except the new cloud defensive reins. I will eventually add one to my collection.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Turbo.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:11:33 PM EDT
[#5]
The Modlite heads can be found on blem sale from time to time for $120. That plus a body, tailcap, and mount of your choice makes for a pretty reasonable price.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 3:14:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mudholestomper:
I’ve got all of those. Same malkoff head, same modlite (it’s my handheld), surefire df640, and I have a first gen cloud rein.

The rein and malkoff are the same, except the rein is a lot warmer light color.

The surefire is powerful and it’s on my main squeeze 13.7, but I prefer that it’s mostly spill.

The modlite has more candela and lumens than all of them, and i like it the best. It’s just got more balls.

The surefire turbo lights are fantastic and the specs blow away the other lights except the new cloud defensive reins. I will eventually add one to my collection.
View Quote

you'll like the DF640 turbo, it has a lot of spill while blowing away the competition on candela with both battery types. I believe only cloud defensive has a higher candela light.

even with the $120 modlite blem sales, you are gonna be out $250 before shipping to get a body, tailcap, and mount to make a frankenlight with less output. I have two of these that I'll probably sell to get more 640T's
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 6:29:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Originally Posted By Infamous:
Surefire 640dfT hands down. better output than both of those lights and the street price is more like $260 shipped. no need to spend more money for another mount either.

It's gonna have better resale and be easier to sell than the other brands.
View Quote

If you don’t mind me asking where are you seeing the 640dft for that low?
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:51:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Turbo.

Tried the other brands, the Turbo ended up being my favorite.

After having two cloud rein 3.0s fail me at a Sentinel Concepts low light rifle course and totally ruining a rather pricey training class…along with their trash switches, the Turbo gets the nod.

Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:03:41 AM EDT
[#9]
If you want throw, the Surefire is best. But it is more in line with the Modlite OKW than the PLHv2 which has MUCH more flood. Surefire wins for quality. Definitely gives me a warm fuzzy over Modlite, which I own 4 of, so no hater. Surprisingly prefer the Surefire picatinny version of the pro mount to Arisaka mounts. Lighter than Arisaka mount too. The MLOK version of the pro mount is heavier and sucks for positioning vs the picatinny pro on the top rail, which I did not expect.

Only negative to Surefire head is the length. It is just a hair longer than the other two.

Malkoff is just to weak on lumens to be a contender vs PLHv2, but same throw. The DFT is more throw, but much less flood vs PLHv2. The flood difference is most noticable at medium distances,  where the Surefire outter flood becomes useless and the PLHv2 is not. Up close and indoors the Surefire flood works and the hot spot bounce back illuminates everything great. If you want range though, I prefer less spill as it does not catch closer objects and reflect back constricting your pupil.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 7:47:37 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Remington1992:

If you don’t mind me asking where are you seeing the 640dft for that low?
View Quote

Pm'ed
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:35:01 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve got the malkoff and tried a buddies cloud stuff.  Bought a 340 turbo.  Fucking sweet light.  

Now I’m looking at x300u turbos to swap everything to.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:46:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Attachment Attached File
The Modlite's candela is hard to beat. I made a hybrid because the Surefire's rail mount is 🤌.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 2:49:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By bdover:
I've got the malkoff and tried a buddies cloud stuff.  Bought a 340 turbo.  Fucking sweet light.  

Now I'm looking at x300u turbos to swap everything to.
View Quote

SF deservedly got a lot of flak for falling behind the times for a while and the failure of the first DF lights, but they hit a homerun with the Turbo series and have beat pretty much everyone else except maybe Cloud, but they've had issues with their switches and such while SF has a solid aftermarket locked in for those accessories.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 3:44:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Well palmetto marking down both the 340 and 640 turbo was too much temptation. So guess I’ll have those two to compare.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:55:02 PM EDT
[#15]
I have the 340 on a SBR and love it. Obviously on a 10.5" handguard space is a concern. It does impressively well for its small footprint.
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 8:39:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Having first hand experience with all three, and also the Cloud Defensive REIN 3.0, the Surefire Turbo and CD offerings reign supreme. I really like the swiveling mount of the Surefire. And while it's not quite as bright/powerful as the REIN 3.0, it is far from being in its shadow. That said, the Modlite and Malkoff are no slouches either. I don't own any Modlites anymore, but still have several Malkoff E2XTL heads with no plans on swapping them out.

Link Posted: 5/12/2024 9:30:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#17]
I have had the modlite okw and plhv2, the surefire DFT, and the cloud defensive rein 3.0. Avoid cloud defensive like the plague. After owning a Rein 3.0 and 2 MCH lights, all of them have failed and needed warranty(multiple times per light). My modlites and surefires have been completely reliable.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 6:53:28 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Tug153:
I have had the modlite okw and plhv2, the surefire DFT, and the cloud defensive rein 3.0. Avoid cloud defensive like the plague. After owning a Rein 3.0 and 2 MCH lights, all of them have failed and needed warranty(multiple times per light). My modlites and surefires have been completely reliable.
View Quote

What failed/how? My friends and I have had no issues with Cloud.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 7:29:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Tug153] [#19]
Rein 3.0- flickering and then just flat out stopped working. Got sent a new tail cap. Still flickered. Sent the light to cloud and got it back. Still flickered. Got another tail cap, verified it wasn't flickering, and then sold it.

2 MCHs- flickering and going through the new tailcap process right now. Switched batteries, swapped around tailcaps and heads, and cleaned the lights as best as I could. Still having issues.

When I first started using cloud, I thought they were awesome and recommended then to my friends and multiple different departments who then started recommending them to their coworkers. Now, all but one of us have had warranty issues with lights flickering and dying.

They are great lights when they work, but they almost never work.
Link Posted: 5/12/2024 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Rein 3.0- flickering and then just flat out stopped working. Got sent a new tail cap. Still flickered. Sent the light to cloud and got it back. Still flickered. Got another tail cap, verified it wasn't flickering, and then sold it.

2 MCHs- flickering and going through the new tailcap process right now. Switched batteries, swapped around tailcaps and heads, and cleaned the lights as best as I could. Still having issues.

When I first started using cloud, I thought they were awesome and recommended then to my friends and multiple different departments who then started recommending them to their coworkers. Now, all but one of us have had warranty issues with lights flickering and dying.

View Quote

Sounds like me with my Unity gas caps.
Link Posted: 5/17/2024 11:48:39 PM EDT
[#21]

View Quote

Werkz had a lot of problems with them in their rifle light torture test.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:21:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Marksman14] [#22]

View Quote

Same issue here, and it ruined a very expensive training class.
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 12:23:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Originally Posted By JohnDough:

Sounds like me with my Unity gas caps.
View Quote

Were you using a Reptilia light body?  Not sure why but I recall that being the case.

I’ve got 6 gas caps and they’ve been perfect, but all are on otherwise OEM surefire lights.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top