BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Page / 17
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 8:42:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Good Morning!!

My name is Tom, I am from MO. and I am excited to be a member of this site and a member of the rifle/pistol community. Recently purchased a Ruger SR556 as well as a Sig Sauer P226 and I have been at the range every weekend since. Both are amazing firearms and I cannot wait to increase my knowledge!

http://s48.photobucket.com/user/tombhome8wiccochetwabbittb/library/?sort=3&page=1
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:48:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Hi, my name is Watson (first name). I'm going to be honest here. I am way behind the eight ball here. I haven't been to the range in a while because of getting married and having kids. I have a pistol but I know I need to get a shotgun and an AR. My budget sucks right now but I need to know what to invest in. I'm on this site looking for your best answer for an AR. I'm not trying to shoot in competitions or go out every week! Again, being realistic here. I need an AR to add to my arsenal for when things go real bad. I'm reading "A Failure of Civility" and really hate that I have not been more proactive in increasing what I possess. So, again. This rifle is for the purpose of getting out of the city in the event of things going bad. My .40 cal Glock can only do so much, but I'm looking at a shotgun and AR. Sorry if this is too plain. If I am asking the wrong questions, clear me up so I can get the answers I need when I am ready (Christmas time) to get the AR.

Should I get an AR10 or AR15? Again, Sorry if the question sounds stupid.
Can you give me something that can suffice as an entry level rifle that won't break my bank?

I am working on MREs and every other thing I need to stock up on. So, as you can see: my budget sucks!
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:52:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Oh yes. I am from Indiana.
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 10:59:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 9/19/2014 11:50:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By VA-gunnut:

Welcome!

You have jumped into a debate/discussion that has ranged here for as long as there has been a here.

I'm not going to get into all the possible points about bugging in/out, what are priorities, etc... You can go and read the Survival Forums here to get lots of viewpoints for all that.

JMHO, get a basic rifle that has iron sights, the ability to mount a scope or other sight if you can swing it, and a decent white light.

View Quote

Awesome! Just what I needed. I will definitely get quotes for this and work on acquiring it! Man, I really appreciate it!

God Bless you!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 8:56:56 PM EDT
[#7]
Newbie from Michigan,  just bought my first AR.  Hope to learn alot from this site, and contribute as much as I can.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:13:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 9/24/2014 11:06:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Hey fellow black gun lovers... David here from TX.  Marine veteran, small business owner, father of two, immigrant, but proud as hell to be an American citizen.  I've been mostly into pistols since I've been out of the service, and recently the AR bug hit me bad.  Well, it hit me bad a few years ago but people were going bananas and bottom-of-the-barrel ARs were selling for $2k.  Now that things have calmed down a bit I'm building my first AR and it will be an SBR.  I have to give a huge thanks already to many of the members on here that have supplied such a wealth of information.  I've literally been reading thread after thread every single night for an hour or two before bed, for the past 6 weeks - not easy when you have a newborn at home!

Just submitted my e-Form 1, have most of my parts in for the build, and can't wait to complete my SHTF AR.  Not only will it be for home defense, I plan on using it to greatly reduce the wild hog population on our ranch in E. TX...

I hope to be able to contribute as much to other members as I've been fortunate to learn from this website.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 1:59:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Hi, my name is Nick. Just purchased my first AR and wanted to introduce myself. I'm from Louisiana but traveling right now with work. I recently purchased a DDM4 V5 lw and love it so far! Just looking to get tips and keep up with the latest about AR's!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 2:06:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:08:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jthomson] [#12]
Howdy y'all, this is my first forum every and just wanted to say hello and sorry for any future mistakes. I've ready plenty on this forum particularly about ar15 accessories. First things first i guess would be my gun, AR15 DDM4V5 so far im running Magpul MBUS sights awaiting an EOTECH EXPS3-2 With all Magpul accessories.

Magpul; xtm rail covers, Magpul 1" light mount left, Magpul MAID grip, Magpul ACS stock, Magpul MOE-2 forward grip, and already mentioned the MBUS popup sights.
The flashlight currently is a Streamlight Polytac HP

On second note for a first question a man I am dealing with for the eotech sight I found on armslist, and he said he had a good rep on this forum as a member, and he listed another forum he is with, not I do not want to mess up and disclose to much info and get booted for my first post but is there anyway I can find him on here to see his ratings?

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 5:49:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:55:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Speargrass] [#14]
Hi ! I stumbled across AR15 Com looking for gun parts.  What a great resource you all have here.  I live in New Zealand with my American wife and adult kids.  I do travel overseas a fair bit though.  I am new to the AR platform but as soon as I started using one I was hooked.  I have used H&K semi autos in the past but nothing comes close to the AR for functionality and accuracy.

Here is my first AR, built her from scratch several months ago.

JP Upper
Aero precision lower
Daniel Defense 14.5 inch barrel 1 in 7 M4
Gisselle  SSA-E trigger
Les Baer Custom Bolt carrier
Troy BUIS
Troy Alpha handguard
The can on the end of the barrel is NZ made by ex SF armourer and very quiet.

On top is an Elcan Spectre scope.  I am mainly using 64 and 69 grain projectiles.  At 100 meters it makes thumbnail size groups, when I am good enough to place the scope on target.  I have hunted with it and it is amazingly fast and quick. I am probably hunting 1-2 times a week with this little gem and use it on rabbits varmint's small deer and goats.

All thats left now is another AR I am also keen on the 6.5 Grendel upper.  

Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:02:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/7/2014 9:39:27 AM EDT
[#16]
Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself.  
I have wanted an AR for EVER but every time I would get close to enough $$ some bill would come up.
So I took a 10 dollar chance on a raffle a friend of mine had & I won a Windham Weaponry MPC!!!
Link Posted: 10/9/2014 5:27:57 PM EDT
[#17]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By 1SweetV6:

Hello, I just wanted to introduce myself.  

I have wanted an AR for EVER but every time I would get close to enough $$ some bill would come up.

So I took a 10 dollar chance on a raffle a friend of mine had & I won a Windham Weaponry MPC!!!

View Quote
Excellent!  Welcome...

Link Posted: 10/9/2014 6:05:17 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 11:01:52 AM EDT
[#19]
Hello All. I'm less than a year new to shooting. I would post my first rifle, but I can't figure out how to insert images. My first firearm was my favorite one, the M1 Garand. I've since then got a PU Sniper Mosin, and a Walther P38. I also had an AK for a bit but sold it, for a profit. With all of my WWII guns I've been wanting to go the modern route for a while. I came here for help on possibly getting a AR15. I shot some at the range and really enjoyed the accuracy at mid ranges.
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 7:18:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 8:43:10 PM EDT
[#21]
hey guys, new to the site and ARs. This is my first post though I have been reading for awhile.

I finally broke down and started building a retro A1 like my dad carried in Vietnam. I hope to be done here soon. So far I have been able to get Colt parts except the lower which is Palmetto. I am excited.

Thank for all th e knowledge!  
Link Posted: 10/11/2014 12:17:18 AM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 1:44:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: TomcatPC] [#23]
Hello
Mark here.  I'm sort of here by accident as I'm really not into newer (post-WWII) rifles.  Qualed (Marksman LOL) with the M16A2 back in the mid-90's during a short stint with the National Guard following my US Navy Service.  That is as about as far as it goes for the M16 or AR-15 Rifle for me.  

What got me here is I came across a thread about "Retro Military Shotguns" and I bought a vintage shotgun last week and wanted to get in on that topic.  So if I came through the back door...sorry about that.  I tend to like older firearms (1950s/1960s and back).

However...the thought of throwing together a civie-legal replica of whatever M16 version the US Navy was using in the 1989-1993 time period has crossed my mind. From what I recall, what I saw in the BlueJacket's Manual I'm guessing the version of M16 I'd like to put together would be the M16A1?  Even though the M16A2 was out at the time, I'm guessing the USN would not be the first on the list to get the new rifles and had the older version?  I was in a Fighter Squadron and never had any rifle or sidearm issued to me LOL.

Anyway, that is it for now.
Thanks
Mark
Link Posted: 10/15/2014 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 2:54:07 PM EDT
[#25]
Howdy from Northern Colorado.
Just finishing up my first AR build (budget) and I'm going nuts waiting for the last few parts to show up in UPS so I can see how I did.
Link Posted: 10/20/2014 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:19:08 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm not sure how much of an introduction is appropriate, but I prefer to be inappropriate anyway, so let's go with that.  Anyway, I'm a hunter, new to the AR platform, have been lurking (and reading!) for a few weeks, and recently bought a lower and parts kit from a friend of mine.  I found this site when I was searching for information and discussion forums.  Now I'm eager to finish purchasing the rest of what I need so I can go shoot some groundhogs and squirrels....

SynrG
Link Posted: 10/21/2014 7:27:37 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:01:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mjenk10] [#29]
Hello all!
Matt from Maine here. Im not really one to commit to a forum, usually just surf google to find info and answers. However, After becoming interested in, and eventually building my first AR15 rifle, I have realized that whenever I need info I always end up back here eventually. So, I figured I might as well join the community and make some connections. After some research and a long time saving and piecing it together I went the route building my first rifle to custom fit my desires. Heres a pic, I plan to upgrade the hand guard, trigger guard, and maybe dust plate for the heck of it. And have a scope on it instead of the cheap red dot. I have actually yet to fire it due to lack of time but hopefully soon. And again hello! :)

Link Posted: 10/23/2014 3:11:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 6:25:35 PM EDT
[#31]
Hey guys this is my first post. I'm looking for any feedback on the parts that im using for my build. Thank you.

Aero Precision:
Stripped Lower Receiver
Lower Parts Kit
M4E1 Enhanced Upper Receiver
12" Enhanced M-Lok Handguard
BCG w/ Forward Assist

Strike Industries:
Charging Handle
Gas Tube (Stainless steel - Black Coating)
Cobra Series Trigger Guard
Steel Gas Block
Enhanced Ultimate Dust Cover

Magpul:
MOE® Carbine Stock
MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Rear
MBUS® - Magpul® Back-Up Sight – Front

Hogue OverMolded Pistol Grip AR-15 Rubber
DPMS Flash Hider A2
Advanced Technology Mil Spec Black Tube, Spring, Buffer, Locking Ring & Nut
Link Posted: 10/28/2014 8:23:05 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 2:52:47 AM EDT
[#33]
Yes I am from new york but I now go back and forth between my house in the Poconos and new york. Pennsilvaina is where the rifle will stay. But also i was wondering what is a reliable chrome lined barrel for 5.56, for under $200. Thank you.
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 6:04:53 AM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/29/2014 12:14:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: MadHatterSmile] [#35]
Hello All!  New to the site and the AR15 family.  Have shot a rental at a range many times and enjoy the rifle greatly.  I've started my first build rather than buying a complete rifle for the knowledge of the inner workings. Still need the upper but have not decided if I'm going to buy a complete assembly or the parts and complete myself.

Link Posted: 10/29/2014 5:31:28 PM EDT
[#36]
Link Posted: 11/14/2014 12:53:00 AM EDT
[Last Edit: FiremanFred] [#37]
Wanted to say hello. My first post and just got my first AR today. Thanks to my dad I now have a Stag Arms upper on a Rock River lower. I've wanted to own an AR for as long as I can remember but money was just never there. Well I'm finally a proud owner.

Link Posted: 11/17/2014 6:33:34 AM EDT
[#38]
Hi everyone, longtime viewer. Very greatful for all the info on this forum. This is my first AR. Its a bushmaster m4a3 patrolman(had it for a few years now). Ive added alot to it, including freefloating the barrel and installing the noname quadrail(hope to get a quality one soon). I bought a set screw gas block but later opted to mod the front sight/gasblock. Also pictured is my new Anderson lower that i just put together with an LBE parts kit and other spare parts i had. And a Glock19 just for fun! Anyway i sold my AK platforms to fund my AR obsession, so you will be seeing more of me. Thanks, hope you all enjoy. " /> " />
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:29:50 PM EDT
[#39]
hello my name is ryan and I've recently been diagnosed with BRD. I just found this site Friday and here I am with my first post. I don't have an ar yet but I'm in the planing stages of building my first. nice to meet you all
Link Posted: 11/24/2014 9:46:36 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 11/29/2014 11:53:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ryansr9c] [#41]
Hello from Wisconsin ! I just bought my first AR 2 weeks ago and have already bought some toys for it and looking for more.

Link Posted: 11/30/2014 9:55:58 PM EDT
[#42]
Hi, my name is Les and I am new to this group and the AR-15.  I have decided to build my own AR-15 from scratch.  I have the the full kit of lower parts and will try to put it together in the coming week or two.  I am sure I will need help in deciding what upper components to purchase and would be happy to receive any and all advice.

I am looking forward to doing this.
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:08:53 PM EDT
[#43]
Link Posted: 11/30/2014 11:09:25 PM EDT
[#44]
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:50:58 AM EDT
[#45]
I'm new to both the site and the platform. I've been lurking in the shadows and reading. Anyway I Just purchased my first AR, DDM4V5 (5.56). For now I've added a magpul afg2 and a Bushnell trs-25 that pulled from my Keltec Sub 2000. Optics will get an upgrade once I determine what I actually want. Currently leaning towards the Aimpoint Pro. Lots of great info on the site and hope to contribute at some point.

Sorry for the crappy pics

Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:15:41 PM EDT
[#46]
Hello All - long time lurker, recently joined as I am starting my first build from scratch.  This will be my second AR, first one was a DPMS lower mated with a RUGER SR556, I have some pics somewhere, ill have to find them. Starting with Spikes stripped lower and building up from there.  I am sure Ill see you on the boards as I know I will have questions.
Regards,
Kevin
Link Posted: 12/1/2014 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 12/2/2014 1:53:39 PM EDT
[#48]
Hello everyone, names Evan. New member, but like many I have lurked for some time. Just picked up an AR two weeks ago. It is a Stag Arms Model 3, that came with offset irons and a Firefield optic for 750. First order of business is going to be replacing the optic. Going to go the red dot/holographic route.
Love the site, it is a great resource.
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 10:48:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: defendfreedom76] [#49]
Hello all ,

B here from AZ. I just recently purchased my first AR-15 from , of all places , Walmart. I had been wanting one ever since I was in the Army. I own a few handguns , but could never "convince" myself to purchase a rifle. Well, finally , over the holiday weekend Walmart had 20% off all firearms , and due to strong support of the 2nd amendment ,  I simply could not resist! So , I purchased one. It is a DPMS Sportical. I have not been to the range with it yet ( although I am going next Friday). Have a red dot on the way so I will be ready for the range. I do need to get some backup iron sights for it as well. AS my drill sergeant always said " you need to perfect iron sights before adding anything else. What if your optic fails? If you do not know how to shoot with iron sights you are F***ed!"

I am not familiar with much of the "lingo" when it comes to this rifle , so please excuse the triviality of my question.

Does anyone have any idea what kind of flip-up iron sights will fight on the front and back of this rifle? The front rail is not the same height as the top rail. I am sure the rear sight can be standard, but the front will need  riser of some sort.

Thanks
http://i1322.photobucket.com/albums/u574/bryank78/LIBERTY_OR_DEATH_zpscb61ca2f.jpg
Link Posted: 12/4/2014 12:01:03 AM EDT
[#50]
Page / 17
Page AR-15 » AR Basics
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top