Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 5/1/2024 11:01:14 PM EDT
I injured my dominant hand and will require several months of OT so I'll be practicing weak hand pistol shooting for a while.

In the meantime I'm also considering a 9mm carbine for home defense and the PSA AR-V appears to get great reviews.

Are there others that I should consider (for the same price)?

Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 6:30:55 AM EDT
[#1]
5.56 AR15
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 10:16:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: BikKat] [#2]
New Frontier Armory has a MP5 mag lower and a Scorpion mag lower. I would call them about availability on both.
Both have I know for sure the S-9 or Scorpion version has last round bolt open capabilities.

Steve
Link Posted: 5/2/2024 2:57:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Been happy with this. Standard ambi saftey and bolt release. Also has LRHO.

https://store.fm-products.com/products/fm-products-5397
Link Posted: 5/3/2024 7:41:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Arms unlimited still has the colt 9mm for a good price.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Stribog
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 12:51:47 PM EDT
[#6]
How jacked up is your hand, and which hand?  The AR style sling shot charging handle is not the easiest to operate 1 handed.

I have an ARV.  It runs great.  Its not picky on ammo.  I neglected mine to let it get gunked up, and it refused to malfunction.  My only complain with it I guess is the bolt catch.  If you bump the ass end while the bolt is locked back, it drops the bolt fairly easily.

Your having a bunk hand may not work with the usual AR design, though.  Maybe something with a side or forward positioned charging handle would be better.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:21:30 PM EDT
[#7]
If you bump the ass end while the bolt is locked back, it drops the bolt fairly easily.
View Quote

Actually I find that fairly easy to do with any AR, it doesn't take much effort.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 1:32:25 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By s4s4u:

Actually I find that fairly easy to do with any AR, it doesn't take much effort.
View Quote

Right.  And its way easier on the ARV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:28:02 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

Right.  And its way easier on the ARV.
View Quote

Not sure I consider that a bad thing.  It must be sprung fairly lightly for function.  Have you tried a heavier recoil spring, just for shits?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 4:39:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By s4s4u:
Not sure I consider that a bad thing.
View Quote

you dont consider it a bad thing for the bolt to drop into battery accidentally?  You lock the bolt back while servicing the gun, or to make it safe.  And then bumping the gun can have it drop the bolt, smooshing your fingers or chambering a round when you didn't mean to.  And you don't consider that a bad thing?  Its a feature, not a bug?
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 6:06:24 PM EDT
[Last Edit: s4s4u] [#11]
Originally Posted By giantpune:

you dont consider it a bad thing for the bolt to drop into battery accidentally?  You lock the bolt back while servicing the gun, or to make it safe.  And then bumping the gun can have it drop the bolt, smooshing your fingers or chambering a round when you didn't mean to.  And you don't consider that a bad thing?  Its a feature, not a bug?
View Quote

It is a trait of the platform.  You can do it with any AR.  You know it exists, so you deal with it.  Keep your fingers away from the port when the bolt is open and the muzzle pointed in a safe direction when ammo is involved.  Gun safety 101

The bolt stop exists in order to facilitate magazine changes, it isn't meant to be a crutch or safety device.  It is simple enough to "deactivate" the bolt stop if it makes you uncomfortable, remove it and imagine you have an AK
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:26:00 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/18/2024 9:33:13 PM EDT
[#13]
My two favorite are the AKV and the CMMG RDB set up, the latter especially suppressed.
Page AR-15 » Rimfire and Pistol Calibers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top