Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2024 2:43:51 PM EDT
My father recently passed away and he had a Remington R-15 in a .30 RAR caliber in his inventory.  With .30 RAR ammo being non-existence, can the upper be converted to another caliber?

I'm unfamiliar with the weapon, but understand the upper dimensions have been slightly modified and the bolt and barrel extension are custom. Appreciate any advice.

.30 Remington AR
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 2:53:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Not sure of the answer for the OP.

I was helping out at a friends gun store back 10 years or so and he sold several of the R-15s.

Kind of a interesting package for somebody interested in hunting.

Didn't make much sense here in CT as public lands are shotgun only.

As something with no available ammo it is of course a problem anywhere
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:10:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Somebody here knows for sure, but that should be a standard AR15 lower.  If it indeed is, you just pop the upper off and snap your new PSA 5.56 upper on.  Get the complete upper from palmetto state armory.

You might be able to sell that .30 for a little $.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 3:18:12 PM EDT
[#3]
I read that article.  Different bolt, AR15 lower.

The face of said bolt is commonly sized for the .473-inch rim diameter of the .308 Winchester, but Remington went one step further by opening it up a bit and increasing the rim diameter of the .30 AR case to .492 inch.

This, by the way, is a rather uncommon rim diameter. The only other cartridge I could dig up that shares it is an 1800s number called the .35-40 Maynard. At any rate, by the time the job was done, the only thing the .30 AR case had in common with the .450 Bushmaster case was a base diameter of .500 inch.

Just get a complete new upper.  Probably not much demand for the old one.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 4:07:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Maybe a good time to start handloading
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 5:14:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#5]
Get one here, for tapping our knowledge base.

They support this forum.

https://palmettostatearmory.com/ar-15/barreled-upper-assemblies.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:31:51 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1168RGR] [#6]
Sorry to hear about your father. Hope you’re doing well.

You could also buy an upper that isn’t PSA, if desired. Doesn’t have to be PSA, necessarily, but if you click that affiliate marketing link disguised as a regular one, someone will get credit for the sale via tracking cookies.

What would you like this rifle to do? If a PSA upper fits, and I think it would, then so would any other brand AR upper in .223/5.56, 6.5 Grendel, 350 Legend, .300 BLK, .30 Hamr, etc. But a PSA upper may do exactly what you need, also.
Link Posted: 5/6/2024 7:53:35 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#7]
Dang I shouldn’t click on my own links.  There are some cheap uppers there.
Yeah any upper should fit, unless Remington went rouge on their lower.

I thought I wanted one of those uppers for elk hunting when they first came out, being a 30 cal in a small frame vs the .308 large frame.  Turns out you are limited to the light 30 cal bullets due to the short magazine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top