Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/15/2024 9:08:38 PM EDT
Looking real hard at getting an APC9

there is the 6.8" barrel and the 8.9" barrel. Rounding up to 7" and 9", I'm wondering if there's even that much of a difference between the two

Reason I ask is because one of my use cases is an NVG 2-gun comp where they often have some half-IPSC targets at 150 yards. Would love to be able to complete that stage (not necessary smoke it, but completing it would be nice)

Obviously the 9" will be better for distance, but... By how much? Having trouble finding velocity data for these 2x barrel lengths to plug it into a calculator

Does anyone have any data, or any other info that would help this decision?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:28:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ScoutH57] [#1]
Get the one you want

It’s a 9mm bullet

Those 2 barrel lengths will have absolutely no practical difference.  Only difference is the amount of handguard real estate pretty much

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/9luger.html
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 10:44:10 PM EDT
[#2]
That's great info, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 7:16:19 AM EDT
[#3]
If you plan on suppressing, go with 7” as it’s less likely to go supersonic as in the 9” with borderline ammo like common 1000fps 147gr Lawman, AE, Blazer.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:43:12 AM EDT
[#4]
That is a really good thought I hadn't considered. I definitely plan on using subsonic ammo through it occasionally
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 10:52:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lazyengineer] [#5]
With my gun, the options were 5" and 8"; and that was an easy decision since 5" was too short for my comfort with a support hand, and 8" ballistics over 5" is meaningful.  I was impressed by the speed increase I was measuring.   In your case of 7" vs 9", that's an odd selection because as others say, I'm not sure it's so meaningful.  If you plan on going suppressed, the 7" will end up being a 2" shorter total package with fairly little relative velocity loss compared to 9".

I'd probably lean 7"
Link Posted: 1/18/2024 9:41:21 AM EDT
[#6]
For me the longer barrel is the way to go just for the ergonomics of the gun.

The small increase in velocity is nice but it won't be huge.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top