Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/18/2022 3:40:50 PM EDT
I recently picked up a FAL built on a Coonan receiver and everything seems exceptional with it.  Looks like a brand new rifle.  Full 21" barrel, standard furniture and Belgian style muzzle brake.  The bolt, bolt carrier, upper and lower receivers all serial number match (nice touch).  I'm trying to find out if this was made (built) by someone known for building FAL's or just an individual.  Looking for a little history, if you will.  There is an engraving on the lower receiver, right behind the receiver lock lever that resembles a pine tree.  Is anyone aware of what this mark is?  Could it be a "maker's mark" and if so does anyone have history or knowledge of who it is?
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 12:06:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: tac556] [#1]
Assembler/Manufacturer (FFL) mark would be on the Coonan upper receiver, not the lower receiver (which is most likely surplus from who knows where.). Also it is required to be written with the manufacturer name, and city/state as well.  Can’t just do a mark or whatever.  

Any marks on the lower are probably original.

Look underneath the front of the upper near the barrel for the most likely spot, several assemblers marked there, but chances are you have one built by a random owner or non-SOT type FFL.
Link Posted: 11/19/2022 4:03:27 PM EDT
[#2]
It would help if you posted a picture of the marking.
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 11:00:45 AM EDT
[#3]
The "Pine Tree" on left side of lower may be Argentine. Please post pics so we can better help identify...
Link Posted: 11/20/2022 5:18:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KrazyBlade] [#4]
From what I’ve learned since posting this is that it is a Argentinian lower receiver. I would
like to post a picture of the engraving but I don’t have an online library of pictures that I can use to post.
So do any of you know why this “pine tree” was engraved on them?  What is the history behind the marking?
Link Posted: 11/23/2022 11:52:57 AM EDT
[#5]
You can attach pics easy by posting from your smart phone.

Link Posted: 11/28/2022 1:55:14 PM EDT
[#6]
don't you still need some kind of online host for your photos?  I've been a member forever on here...just don't post a lot.  When I go to add a photo, whether on my computer or my phone, it still asks for a URL
Link Posted: 11/28/2022 5:26:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KrazyBlade:
don't you still need some kind of online host for your photos?  I've been a member forever on here...just don't post a lot.  When I go to add a photo, whether on my computer or my phone, it still asks for a URL
View Quote

You can upload photos directly to ARFCOM now for posting, IIRC.

Otherwise you would need a host.
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 1:08:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: blfuller] [#8]
Here's the pic of the marking on the OP's lower...

Definitely looks Argentine based on a known FMAP Rosario...
Link Posted: 11/29/2022 6:33:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By blfuller:
Here's the pic of the marking on the OP's lower...
https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/52532302893_8ca7432998_z.jpg

Definitely looks Argentine based on a known FMAP Rosario...
https://d4guns.s3.us-west-1.amazonaws.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/13094840/P1840222.jpg
View Quote

Thank YOU so much for posting the pic and confirming with a known specimen!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top