Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2023 12:21:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Revel1]
Someone's selling a used Rattler locally for a good price and I've been debating on whether or not I should get it. But the new Rattler Lt with the 6.75" inch barrel is appealing to me for the extra velocity when shooting supers. You guys think the new Rattler Lt is worth it or will the old Rattler be just fine. I'm thinking about making it my bag gun with a QD suppressor

I'm leaning towards getting the used Rattler, but I'm worried about getting replacement parts for it in the future since it looks like it's going to be discontinued with the new Rattler Lt coming out.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 12:50:51 PM EDT
[#1]
I prefer the 6.75" barrel.  That is what I have in my Rattler that originally came with a 5.5" barrel.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:27:50 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Revel1] [#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By jwlaxton:
I prefer the 6.75" barrel.  That is what I have in my Rattler that originally came with a 5.5" barrel.
View Quote

How did you fit the 6.75" barrel to the Rattler? I thought that the Rattler can only take the 5.5" 300 blk or 5.5" 5.56 barrels? And that if you wanted to go longer, you needed the Spear or Virtus uppers?

Honestly, if you can actually do that, I might just get the used Rattler and replace the barrel with a 6.75" some time in the future.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:32:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#3]
Really comes down to if you're wanting a bag that the 5.5" Rattler barely fits in or one that'll fit the new 6.75" Spear-LT Rattler.

I have the original Rattler, looking to get an even smaller sling bag to justify it as my current bag I could fit a 6.75" Spear-LT in without a problem.

What parts are you worried about being discontinued? The Virtus has active contracts around the globe and all of wear parts can be borrowed from the Spear-LT (Charging handle, bolt, carrier, recoil springs, etc). About the only thing unique would be the gas plug but they seem to still be making those. Also, can always just drop a Spear-LT barrel into the Rattler/Virtus line.

Originally Posted By Revel1:

How did you fit the 6.75" barrel to the Rattler? I thought that the Rattler can only take the 5.5" 300 blk or 5.5" 5.56 barrels? And that if you wanted to go longer, you needed the Spear or Virtus uppers?

Honestly, if you can actually do that, I might just get the used Rattler and replace the barrel with a 6.75" some time in the future.
View Quote

Rattler can accept any barrel from the MCX line. You just need to swap out the recoil spring assembly to the corresponding barrel setup. IE, the 6.75" Virtus barrel will require the standard Virtus recoil spring assembly. The Rattler one is just a shortened Virtus rod, nothing special.

It's an easy swap, just need to pull the assembly from the carrier and swap to the new one.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:41:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Revel1] [#4]
Originally Posted By Zerlak:
Really comes down to if you're wanting a bag that the 5.5" Rattler barely fits in or one that'll fit the new 6.75" Spear-LT Rattler.

I have the original Rattler, looking to get an even smaller sling bag to justify it as my current bag I could fit a 6.75" Spear-LT in without a problem.

What parts are you worried about being discontinued? The Virtus has active contracts around the globe and all of wear parts can be borrowed from the Spear-LT (Charging handle, bolt, carrier, recoil springs, etc). About the only thing unique would be the gas plug but they seem to still be making those. Also, can always just drop a Spear-LT barrel into the Rattler/Virtus line.

Rattler can accept any barrel from the MCX line. You just need to swap out the recoil spring assembly to the corresponding barrel setup. IE, the 6.75" Virtus barrel will require the standard Virtus recoil spring assembly. The Rattler one is just a shortened Virtus rod, nothing special.

It's an easy swap, just need to pull the assembly from the carrier and swap to the new one.
View Quote

Oh wow, that's easier than I thought. When doing research on the Rattler, I just kept seeing lots of comments about how the Rattler isn't compatible with the rest of the MCX line so I got worried. I only have 2 Sig handguns and none of their rifles so I know nothing about the MCX line so your input is very helpful. If that's the case, I think I might just pick up the used Rattler and switch out the barrel to the 6.75" if I end up not satisfied with the 5.5" one. I probably won't notice the difference between the 2 setups tbh.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 1:51:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#5]

Oh wow, that's easier than I thought. When doing research on the Rattler, I just kept seeing lots of comments about how the Rattler isn't compatible with the rest of the MCX line so I got worried. I only have 2 Sig handguns and none of their rifles so I know nothing about the MCX line so your input is very helpful. If that's the case, I think I might just pick up the used Rattler and switch out the barrel to the 6.75" if I end up not satisfied with the 5.5" one. I probably won't notice the difference between the 2 setups tbh.
View Quote

Took this, back when I still owned a 11.5" Virtus (Sold it a while ago). Rattler upper with the Canebrake handguard, 11.5" Virtus 5.56 barrel and using the recoil spring/rod assembly from the Virtus. Worked just fine, in that configuration.

If ambi controls are important to you, the new Spear-LT does have the ambi bolt hold open/release, which is damned nice to have.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:13:36 PM EDT
[#6]
I’ve got a 5.5” Rattler and 6.75” Virtus/Legacy LVAW mutt (6.75” Virtus Barrel/Op Rod Assembly in a Legacy upper).

Velocity wise, with 110gr Barnes Black Tip, you gain roughly 75fps going from the 5.5” to 6.75”.  Same day, same conditions, same ammo lot I averaged 1933fps vs 2010fps at 28* F ambient.

Up to you if the increased length warrants that jump in velocity.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:23:54 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwlaxton] [#7]
Can't say I've chronographed much in 28 F weather, but I've always seen 100+ fps difference in any 110 gr ammo I've compared.  I've got 2 5.5" barrels and 3 6.75" barrels.  The last time I got in a discussion about this in February of this year, I bought a new box of Barnes 110 gr Black tip ammo and fired it through 4 rifles, 5 shots each.  It was at an indoor range, about 70 F, using a LabRadar.

5.5" Rattler                       - 1879 fps
6.75" Tac Ops                    - 2022 fps - 143 fps increase
8" 1:7 twist Wilson Combat - 2111 fps -   89 fps increase
9" MCX Virtus                    - 2140 fps -   29 fps increase
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 5:44:07 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jwlaxton] [#8]
Originally Posted By WUPHF:
I’ve got a 5.5” Rattler and 6.75” Virtus/Legacy LVAW mutt (6.75” Virtus Barrel/Op Rod Assembly in a Legacy upper).

Velocity wise, with 110gr Barnes Black Tip, you gain roughly 75fps going from the 5.5” to 6.75”.  Same day, same conditions, same ammo lot I averaged 1933fps vs 2010fps at 28* F ambient.

View Quote

You got lucky with your Rattler barrel.  I've got 2 of them, and while your velocity is close with mine on the 6.75" barrel, both my 5.5" barrels are slower than yours.  I only bought 1 Rattler firearm, but I bought a 2nd 5.5" barrel to see if it was much different.  I was never completely happy with the grouping or velocity out of the original barrel.  The second wasn't much different.  I keep a 6.75" barrel in my Rattler, but occasionally swap them out to play around / test.  The ability to swap barrels quickly is one of the things I really like about the platform.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 7:07:34 PM EDT
[Last Edit: WUPHF] [#9]

You got lucky with your Rattler barrel.  I've got 2 of them, and while your velocity is close with mine on the 6.75" barrel, both my 5.5" barrels are slower than yours.  I only bought 1 Rattler firearm, but I bought a 2nd 5.5" barrel to see if it was much different.  I was never completely happy with the grouping or velocity out of the original barrel, so bought a 2nd.  It wasn't much different.  I keep a 6.75" barrel in my Rattler, but occasionally swap them out to play around / test.  The ability to swap barrels quickly is one of the things I really like about the platform.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By WUPHF:

You got lucky with your Rattler barrel.  I've got 2 of them, and while your velocity is close with mine on the 6.75" barrel, both my 5.5" barrels are slower than yours.  I only bought 1 Rattler firearm, but I bought a 2nd 5.5" barrel to see if it was much different.  I was never completely happy with the grouping or velocity out of the original barrel, so bought a 2nd.  It wasn't much different.  I keep a 6.75" barrel in my Rattler, but occasionally swap them out to play around / test.  The ability to swap barrels quickly is one of the things I really like about the platform.

Mine was done with a Magnetospeed V3 mounted to a suppressor on both guns, both averages were over 10 shots with ammo normalized to ambient temp for roughly 30 minutes.

I also chrono’d the factory 9” Virtus barrel on the same day within the exact same parameters with an average of 2172fps.

For me, I think it really comes down to intended use and ammo.  The 110gr Barnes has been shown to reliably expand down to the 1300fps range.  For a backpack/emergency travel gun in a very small package, the 5.5” barrel worked for me.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 7:29:31 PM EDT
[#10]
You should buy the local one, seller is a pretty good guy ;-)

I saw that new one launched today. I have nothing against the 5.5” barrel and unless you have a can rated for 6.5 but not 5.5, I don’t think it makes a big difference.

I got it for compact travel. Adding a longer barrel + flash hider defeats the purpose. Mine fits in my kids old kindergarten backpack so it’s legit discreet carry.

Spear version is like 4 ounces lighter so not a huge savings. I’m also thinking it will come with a $1k “new sig hotness” tax.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 7:55:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Griff411] [#11]
Some firearms upgrades fix known issues and offer significant improvements. In this case, though (admittedly never having handled the Rattler LT), it seems like some "nice to have" features have been added (ambidextrous bolt catch/release, reshaped forend) along with some potential improvements (easier to swap longer barrels). On the other hand, for its intended purpose, the original Rattler doesn't have anything wrong with it. I suspect that there are some good deals coming along on older Rattlers.

Griff

For reference, here is SIG's site detailing the new Rattler LT:

https://www.sigsauer.com/mcx-rattler-lt.html?utm_campaign=231116_Rattler_LT&utm_medium=email&utm_source=Eloqua
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:21:58 PM EDT
[#12]
It looks like I'll be fine getting the used Rattler now for cheaper. Only thing I really care about with the new Rattler Lt is the 6.75" barrel and if I can easily swap out the old Rattler's barrel for a 6.75" one, then I'll be fine. Mostly likely I'll keep the 5.5" barrel since I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Extra money saved can be used for ammo or maybe a new silencer. Can never have enough silencers.
Link Posted: 11/16/2023 9:45:10 PM EDT
[#13]
I think that is a wise choice.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:35:27 PM EDT
[#14]
It looks like I'll be fine getting the used Rattler now for cheaper. Only thing I really care about with the new Rattler Lt is the 6.75" barrel and if I can easily swap out the old Rattler's barrel for a 6.75" one, then I'll be fine. Mostly likely I'll keep the 5.5" barrel since I don't think it makes that much of a difference. Extra money saved can be used for ammo or maybe a new silencer. Can never have enough silencers.
View Quote

You might need a longer op rod for the carrier assembly as well.  Just keep that in mind
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 12:53:10 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

You might need a longer op rod for the carrier assembly as well.  Just keep that in mind
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By call_me_ski:

He will, was already mentioned above.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 1:00:08 PM EDT
[#16]
Good deal.
Link Posted: 11/17/2023 3:04:52 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Cops66] [#17]
Depending on what your “deal” is, if it’s only a couple hundred dollars difference, I would get the newest generation.
I saw the Rattler  LT and really like the looks of the 300BLK, but didn’t like the handguard on the new 5.56 Rattler LT. I hope they change the cut in the front to look like the rest of the Spear/ Rattler LT line.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 4:13:19 PM EDT
[#18]
Bumping this with a similar question.

Saw an old Rattler online for around $1900. Anyone's opinion on if that's the better route over the LT for the price? I'm struggling paying $2700 for the LT.

I'm good with either barrel length.

Just looking for a bufferless 300 blk for a backpack gun.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:58:43 PM EDT
[#19]
First of all, I don't have direct experience with the Rattler LT. I do have experience with the older Rattler, though. It appears to me that the LT version has some "nice to have" features, but there was/is nothing fundamentally wrong with the older design. The newer guns have some improvements, but they weren't really fixing a fault in the older Rattlers. For that price difference and your intended purpose, I believe that the older design would be an excellent option.  I suspect that some good deals are coming along with dealers unloading the older Rattlers to stock the latest and greatest.

I haven't seen a definitive length comparison between the two (the LT has a longer barrel but a different flash hider), but assuming that the original design is shorter, it would be at least somewhat easier to put into a backpack or bag. The option of more easily changing barrel length/caliber is probably the biggest advantage that I see in the Rattler LT, but for some of us, that isn't a "mission requirement".

Remember -- if you can't trust some anonymous guy on the Internet, who can you trust? I might be a teenager in his bedroom making this stuff up. In other words, that's my opinion, but the only opinion that really matters is yours.

Griff
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:33:41 PM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By Griff411:
First of all, I don't have direct experience with the Rattler LT. I do have experience with the older Rattler, though. It appears to me that the LT version has some "nice to have" features, but there was/is nothing fundamentally wrong with the older design. The newer guns have some improvements, but they weren't really fixing a fault in the older Rattlers. For that price difference and your intended purpose, I believe that the older design would be an excellent option.  I suspect that some good deals are coming along with dealers unloading the older Rattlers to stock the latest and greatest.

I haven't seen a definitive length comparison between the two (the LT has a longer barrel but a different flash hider), but assuming that the original design is shorter, it would be at least somewhat easier to put into a backpack or bag. The option of more easily changing barrel length/caliber is probably the biggest advantage that I see in the Rattler LT, but for some of us, that isn't a "mission requirement".

Remember -- if you can't trust some anonymous guy on the Internet, who can you trust? I might be a teenager in his bedroom making this stuff up. In other words, that's my opinion, but the only opinion that really matters is yours.

Griff
View Quote

Thanks for the reply. Sounds good.

Seems the original mcx still holds it value quite well, I'd assume the original Rattlers will as well. Be nice to see one around $1500, but I'd assume doubtful.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:45:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: doolz] [#21]
Originally Posted By Blackhalo:

Seems the original mcx still holds it value quite well, I'd assume the original Rattlers will as well. Be nice to see one around $1500, but I'd assume doubtful.
View Quote

There haven't really been any significant issues with the platform since it's inception. Outside of a recall on the original iteration, everything since has been pretty solid.

To that note, I personally don't foresee the MCX (all variants) "losing" value in the near or even distant future.

Disclaimer: I know I posted in the AZ shootout thread about issues I had and my department had when using the MCX TACOPS.... I haven't gotten the official report from the armorers on the decline to move to the platform but I believe it was solely based on ammo, gas, and magazine compatibility. Would some say that's a platform issue? Probably. But I can't say for certainty.
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 8:55:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By doolz:

There haven't really been any significant issues with the platform since it's inception. Outside of a recall on the original iteration, everything since has been pretty solid.

To that note, I personally don't foresee the MCX (all variants) "losing" value in the near or even distant future.

Disclaimer: I know I posted in the AZ shootout thread about issues I had and my department had when using the MCX TACOPS.... I haven't gotten the official report from the armorers on the decline to move to the platform but I believe it was solely based on ammo, gas, and magazine compatibility. Would some say that's a platform issue? Probably. But I can't say for certainty.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By doolz:

Need to remember, they changed their gas plug design for the MCX TACOPS 6.75" barrel. The original design looked to be a bit too under-gassed, when on the subsonic setting, given the range of subsonic loadings. It was tuned to work ONLY with a silencer attached, for both supers and subs. I had one for a little bit, worked fine on the - settings without a can on for supers but subs it always felt ridiculously soft. As if it was on the cutting edge of "working".

I sold it a while ago and went with the Rattler instead and it has not skipped a beat. It's eaten everything I've thrown at it.

The original Rattler is poised to retain its value better than the others, being it'll be the only PDW length upper and the shortest barrel possible (Shorter than what can be used on the new Spear-LT line).
Link Posted: 1/10/2024 10:18:16 PM EDT
[#23]
Might send it on the $1900 original Rattler. Have a couple 30 cal cans that need permanent hosts, along with a spare T2.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 6:31:34 AM EDT
[#24]
Might send it on the $1900 original Rattler. Have a couple 30 cal cans that need permanent hosts, along with a spare T2.
View Quote

Then it’s almost a no-brainer. Nothing else works as well as a backpack/travel/HD gun. That’s what mine has been for a few years and will be for the foreseeable future.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 8:05:01 AM EDT
[#25]
The rattler is cool but in reality the 9" Virtus is the sweet spot for 300 blackout reliability.  That sweet looking rattler is cute however with a 5.5".
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:23:00 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
The rattler is cool but in reality the 9" Virtus is the sweet spot for 300 blackout reliability.  That sweet looking rattler is cute however with a 5.5".
View Quote

For sure.

But getting in the 8-9" range I'm going to keep it with a buffered DI at that point. Definitely a bufferless 5-6" 300 blk is going to fill a small niche.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 1:34:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Zerlak] [#27]
Originally Posted By cherenkov:
View Quote

Fitting a 9" Virtus/Spear-LT into a bag is a bit more of a bitch.

All about compromises. I'd rather have the 5.5" Rattler in a bag than a 9" sitting in my safe.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 3:35:12 PM EDT
[#28]

All about compromises. I'd rather have the 5.5" Rattler in a bag than a 9" sitting in my safe.
View Quote

The Spear LT 9” with folding stock fits perfectly into a Vertx Commuter Sling.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:05:12 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Griff411] [#29]
A Rattler fits into a ThinkTank sling-type camera bag.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CBtCoPPn3t1/

ETA:

If you think that you want to carry it with a loaded chamber, here is a product that covers the trigger guard. This person attaches the cover to the zipper with a length of paracord so that it comes off as the bag is opened.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CvmxDZXsFXl/

Just some options.

Griff
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:15:26 PM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Cops66:

View All Quotes

And the Commuter Sling is a HUGE friggin bag. Walking around a mall, store or just about anywhere with that large of a pack will draw attention.

Walking around with a small sling bag, as suggested above, will not draw the same level of attention. The Rattler is about having something that doesn't scream attention but rather camera, electronic devices, etc.
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 4:52:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackhalo] [#31]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

Then it’s almost a no-brainer. Nothing else works as well as a backpack/travel/HD gun. That’s what mine has been for a few years and will be for the foreseeable future.
View Quote

Yeah going to do it. Need to find a folding brace now.

Anyone seen them cheaper than $1900 before I send this order?
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 9:35:25 PM EDT
[#32]

And the Commuter Sling is a HUGE friggin bag. Walking around a mall, store or just about anywhere with that large of a pack will draw attention.

Walking around with a small sling bag, as suggested above, will not draw the same level of attention. The Rattler is about having something that doesn't scream attention but rather camera, electronic devices, etc.
View Quote

No it’s not
Link Posted: 1/11/2024 10:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnnyUtah427] [#33]

No it’s not
View Quote

Yes it is.

Link Posted: 1/11/2024 11:34:39 PM EDT
[#34]

Well my black multicam one isn’t even close to the size of that one. They must have increased the volume. Mine is perfect actually.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 11:26:45 AM EDT
[#35]

View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 4:49:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Wasn't expecting more replies on this post. Anyways I ended up getting the used Rattler and it's the perfect size. With an OCL Polonium 30 on it, it fits perfectly folded into one of my old backpacks that I used to use for an 18" laptop. Fits right into the padded laptop compartment and it's great. Lucky for me because I hate shooting this thing unsuppressed. 99% sure I bought it from stevie who posted above me. Thanks man, I love it.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 5:32:05 PM EDT
[#37]
Wasn't expecting more replies on this post. Anyways I ended up getting the used Rattler and it's the perfect size. With an OCL Polonium 30 on it, it fits perfectly folded into one of my old backpacks that I used to use for an 18" laptop. Fits right into the padded laptop compartment and it's great. Lucky for me because I hate shooting this thing unsuppressed. 99% sure I bought it from stevie who posted above me. Thanks man, I love it.
View Quote

@Revel1 you did buddy, I have a similar name on ODT.

shooting it unsuppressed really shows you how it got that name huh?
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 7:03:27 PM EDT
[#38]

View Quote

Any updates? I'm interested in hearing how this turns out for you.

Griff
Link Posted: 1/19/2024 11:47:19 PM EDT
[#39]
Original Rattler is the way to go, save the money.  The platform isn't going anywhere, your investment is just as safe with the OG.  I always run mine suppressed, and it's been 100% and reasonably accurate.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:22:27 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Magsz18] [#40]
I just got a chance to Chrono my 5.5 inch Rattler in 300 blackout.

I was pleasantly surprised.

My chosen load is 110 Grain VMAX from AAC

78 F.
10 Shots
1942.3 Average
STD DEV was 26.8.

I believe the expansion floor of this round is 1600 fps.  I would anticipate adequate velocity out to 100 yards.  PLENTY for self defense.

To note, the Ammo inc. 110 grain VMAX load, SUCKED.

78 F.
10 Shots
STD DEV 21.9

78 F 10 Shots
10 Shots
STD DEV 25.7

That stuff is seriously underloaded compared to the AAC load.

The barrel length itself isn't a reason to consider one gun over the other.

I would factor these differences:

Ambi controls on the lower of the LT?  Do you want that?
Slightly lighter weight?  Is that important to you?
FDE Anodizing?  Do you care?
A price premium right now of almost 800 bucks.  1900 versus 2699 for the Rattler.

Other than that, either firearm will serve you well.
Link Posted: 1/20/2024 6:07:41 PM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Magsz18:

My chosen load is 110 Grain VMAX from ACC.

78 F.
10 Shots
1942.3 Average
STD DEV was 26.8.

I believe the expansion floor of this round is 1600 fps.  I would anticipate adequate velocity out to 100 yards.  PLENTY for self defense.

78 F.
10 Shots
STD DEV 21.9

78 F 10 Shots
10 Shots
STD DEV 25.7

A price premium right now of almost 800 bucks.  1900 versus 2699 for the Rattler.

View Quote

Excellent range report. Thanks!

Griff
Link Posted: 1/22/2024 4:06:00 PM EDT
[#42]

My chosen load is 110 Grain VMAX from ACC.

78 F.
10 Shots
1942.3 Average
STD DEV was 26.8.

78 F.
10 Shots
STD DEV 21.9

78 F 10 Shots
10 Shots
STD DEV 25.7

View Quote

Thanks for the report! 1900+ fps in the Rattler sounds promising and more than enough for self defense. I currently have Hornady Vmax in my Rattler but the next time I buy, I'll try the AAC version since it's a lot cheaper.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 4:41:51 AM EDT
[#43]
The ammo seems consistent and i've taken a few pigs with it so far.  I'm really pleased with its accuracy and performance.

I bought some of the AAC/PSA Saber line of 110 grain black tip loads.  I'm going to chrono that stuff soon and i'll report back.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:32:41 AM EDT
[#44]
The ammo seems consistent and i've taken a few pigs with it so far.  I'm really pleased with its accuracy and performance.

I bought some of the AAC/PSA Saber line of 110 grain black tip loads.  I'm going to chrono that stuff soon and i'll report back.
View Quote

The black tips look promising can't wait to hear back from you.

Did you use your Rattler to take the pigs? I have a hog hunting trip planned this year and I'm considering the Rattler.
Link Posted: 1/26/2024 11:42:05 AM EDT
[#45]

Did you use your Rattler to take the pigs? I have a hog hunting trip planned this year and I'm considering the Rattler.
View Quote

I don't know what firearm choices you have available, but be sure to consider the size of the hogs you expect to see, and the distance you might be shooting from.  I never hunted with my Rattler, even after I changed it to a 6.75" barrel.  The shortest barrel I hunt them with is a suppressed 11.3" 300 HAM'R.
Link Posted: 1/31/2024 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#46]

View Quote

Yes.

The last pig I shot was upwards of 140 lbs.  No issues.  Shot was at about 45 yards.

Again, i'm not looking to use this gun to shoot game at 100+ yards.  The property where I hunt is pretty accessible and I tend to stalk on foot.  While it is extremely open, pigs are pretty dumb and you can get pretty close to them under NV.

Also, I went ahead and chronographed the black tip ammo.  It's not as promising as I would have hoped:

PSA Sabre Black Tip 110 Grain.
10 Shots
78 F.
1838.7 Average
Ft Lbs: 825.6
STD DEV 12.6
Spread 47.5
Max FPS 1855.9
Min FPS 1808.4

Not quite as zippy as the AAC load.

I shot a second group and the average FPS was 1838.9.  That's pretty darned consistent.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top