Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/6/2022 11:45:00 AM EDT
Years ago, I bought most of an FAL para kit from someone on the FAL files (missing the bolt carrier). Deep in my treasure pile I had an original, like new Stg58 barrel. Time for a build, right?

I was in a gun store the other day picking up a Tavor, and saw that they had DSA type 1 receivers, so I grabbed one. I went for a deep root in my stash, and found left over parts from the glory days of cheap FAL kits. A hammer, gas pistons, gas plug, folding charging handle. A complete set of springs... I'm almost there, I thought.

I went online to shop for my missing parts, and Holy shit. Nobody has all the parts, and prices are nutty.

$250 for small parts, $80 for a para top cover (my kit came with the railed top cover), $200 for a para bolt carrier and I'm still short a bolt group and a selector.

Apparently it's not 2005 any more.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 12:34:10 PM EDT
[#1]
This is the reason I haven't completed my Cold War collection with an FAL.  Starting to wonder if I ever will...
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 2:34:36 PM EDT
[#2]
I bought a trashed up Israeli kit for $1000.00, then factor in the forged receiver at $600, barrel at $240, and professional build and refinish at $700.

Link Posted: 10/6/2022 6:31:48 PM EDT
[#3]
Cheap magazines dried up too, hard to even find metal metric mags these days
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 8:20:35 PM EDT
[#4]
I still have a couple kits.  SLR inch pattern.  Good stuff.  I’d build a Aussie kit one day.
Link Posted: 10/6/2022 9:54:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: eodinert] [#5]
I still have two other FALs I built back in the day, but I always wanted a Para.  It won't be 100% correct, but it will be 100% cool.  

I'm good for mags; I bought a case of metric magazines at $2 each, I think there were 50 in the box.  I remember buying several entire lower receivers, assembled, for about $20 from Tapco (back when they used to sell gun parts).

It seemed like there was an unlimited supply.  Now, not so much.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top