Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2022 1:38:55 AM EDT
20 years ago I got into FAL's. I bought all the tools to build, bought Imbel Gear Logo uppers in bulk and a bunch of kits. Over the years I finished most of the builds I had in mind.

So now I have all the FAL building tools, a ratty Turkish/G1 kit W/O a barrel, and one last virgin Imbel Gear Logo upper.

So I am looking at divesting these items. I'm looking at three options -

1) Sell it all separately - tools, parts kit, and upper,

2) Get a barrel and build it into a finished rifle, then sell the rifle and tools separately,

3) Sell the entire collection as a Total Project - letting the purchaser choose the barrel he prefers.

Option 1) would probably get the most money but take the most time/trouble and probably end up with me not getting rid of everything. Option 2) would probably get decent money and move most of the items quickly. Option 3) would move everything all at once but probably get the smallest amount of cash - but I kinda like the idea of giving somebody the chance to build their own which seems to be difficult to find these days.

What would you do?

Link Posted: 11/30/2022 10:03:10 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like you came to the same conclusion I did. Most people that would build an FAL these days most likely already have the tools, so whoever bought the whole package would likely flip the tools to bring their cost down even more. If it was me I would do 1 and then maybe 2.

That being said I've been looking for a decently priced beat up G1 kit to build and refinish
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 12:10:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah, I picked up this Turkish/G1 kit for $150 from Sarco just because it was cheaper than trying to get all the pins, screws, springs, clips, and assorted small parts needed to finish a FAL build if I bought them all separately. I probably have one or two 5 gallon buckets full of cast off parts from all the stuff I replaced with US made to meet 922(R) or for Para FAL builds.
Link Posted: 11/30/2022 12:27:26 PM EDT
[#3]
What state are you in? I still have some tools and a few scattered internals.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 3:49:36 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tango:
What state are you in? I still have some tools and a few scattered internals.
View Quote

Thanks, but as I mentioned I have all the tools needed to build FALs and will be hoping to sell them with the rest of this FAL stuff when I complete one last FAL I have waiting in the safe.
Link Posted: 12/1/2022 12:46:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Sell the receiver seperate. It will bring money way beyond what you paid.

The parts kit if you truly have all the parts minus barrel you could sell it whole. Might get more selling it by piece but it would be a pain and you might sit on some parts foreever.

You might have someone interested in both but I think you would get way more for the receiver from someone with a nice kit who is sending it off to ARS or another builder.

The tools I might be interested in. I have a set but my son has become intersted. 95% of my stuff is in another state. It would be nice to have another set here to diassemble a rifle for whatever reason.

Send me an IM with what you have and prices if you go that route.
Link Posted: 12/13/2022 1:34:27 PM EDT
[#6]
One other thing to consider; on the FALFiles there is a spreadsheet of G1 compost serial numbers.  You could check it against the serial numbers on you bolt, carrier, and lower.  If you see any matches you could touch base with the respective members who own other parts and a lot may be re-united.  I for one have several serial numbers G1 parts that are orphans.
Link Posted: 12/14/2022 12:43:37 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Falfreak:
...on the FALFiles there is a spreadsheet of G1 compost serial numbers.  You could check it against the serial numbers on you bolt, carrier, and lower.  
View Quote

I'm on that site too - had not thought about this. OK, that will be the first step next time I'm back in the US.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top