Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
MCX: Generation 3/SPEAR LT (Page 43 of 43)
Page / 43
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 5/19/2024 12:00:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By medieval_flail:

In order to know if the flex is related to accuracy they would need to use a wide spectrum of ammo. One would hope the accuracy issues and barrel flex aren't independent of each other.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Zerlak:

Except it DID flex, just didn't flex as much. And I'm not referencing the handguard flexing but rather the screws applying pressure on the barrel. I've tested on a Spear-LT 11.5" that the handguard screws installed hand tight prevents the barrel from being removed.

Those two small screws cause enough clamping force to retain the barrel without the barrel clamp screws tightened at all. When the barrel flexes, the handguard screws continue to clamp on the barrel and prevents it from returning to zero.

Remove the handguard screws, it returns once pressure is released.

I have a LMT 12.5", I'll give their test a go on mine soon.

ETA: The barrel flexing has nothing to do with their test groups of accuracy when using the 77 grain IMI. They made it very clear the flex testing was considered a separate test from their accuracy evaluation.

In order to know if the flex is related to accuracy they would need to use a wide spectrum of ammo. One would hope the accuracy issues and barrel flex aren't independent of each other.

Individuals in this very thread have gotten close to 1 MOA groups with MCX, Spear-LT and Spear setups. They are capable of being rather accurate rifles, with the right round.

Again, the barrel flex is not causing bad groupings unless you cause the flex to happen. You'll then get the flyer, as their video demonstrated, and it will then pull back to neutral/center.
Link Posted: 5/20/2024 4:05:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I've been interested in a spear 7.62 x 51 but see some posts about flex and accuracy issues with this rifle.  That's a lot of $$ for a gun w/ accuracy issues. I have not looked through every page of this thread but would like some real world feedback on the reliability and accuracy of this gun.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 1:37:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking about picking up a MCX-SSA trigger on the memorial day sale, but the Spear LT already has a decent 2 stage.  Anyone with experience on the G trigger can confirm whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze?
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 1:42:20 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By FrankW134:
I'm thinking about picking up a MCX-SSA trigger on the memorial day sale, but the Spear LT already has a decent 2 stage.  Anyone with experience on the G trigger can confirm whether or not the juice is worth the squeeze?
View Quote

I read somewhere that the LT doesn't require the MCX version of geisseles triggers. I haven't yet replaced the one in my LT so idk from experience.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 2:48:44 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By KavonTN:

I read somewhere that the LT doesn't require the MCX version of geisseles triggers. I haven't yet replaced the one in my LT so idk from experience.
View All Quotes

LT firing pin safety re-design permits AR-15 triggers to be used.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 4:22:07 PM EDT
[#6]

View All Quotes

My question then, is it worth the $200+ to upgrade from the stock trigger?  The factory 2-stage is much better than a stock milspec AR trigger, which I always replace with an SSA.  My only gripe with the Sig trigger is that it feels too skinny, same with the charging handle.
Link Posted: 5/24/2024 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#7]

My question then, is it worth the $200+ to upgrade from the stock trigger?  The factory 2-stage is much better than a stock milspec AR trigger, which I always replace with an SSA.  My only gripe with the Sig trigger is that it feels too skinny, same with the charging handle.
View All Quotes

Worth it is entirely up to you. If you prefer the Geissele feel, then yes it's worth it.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 9:40:50 AM EDT
[#8]

We're talking about the group size with the IMI 77 grain, not the shifting barrel from flexing. All barrels flex when yanked/pushed, this is true for the AR-15 as well as any other barrel out there. Taking set, after flexing, is the issue with the MCX Spear-LT/Spear line and I'm willing to bet that has more to do with the handguard screws than the barrel clamp design.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Magsz18:
Great video below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s6efiG_1b7A

Long story short, Spear LT accuracy sucks.  I'm still not mad about it as I've never had any issue hitting anything i've aimed at with my 11.5 inch gun.  It's been utterly reliable, accurate enough and really pleasant to shoot.

Your 11.5" is a chrome lined phosphate barrel and their 16" will be a nitride. I'm curious if these manufacturing differences would potentially impact the accuracy.

Also possible the Spear-LT just doesn't care for the IMI 77 grain.

Uh I think it has something to do with the poorly designed barrel clamp which allowed the barrel to flex as seen in the video and verified by many others independently. This kills the rifle for me, it is simply too expensive to have both a flexible rail AND barrel. Maybe the CSAW clamp is different? We won't know till they actually get in the hands of someone other than CAG and the SAS.

We're talking about the group size with the IMI 77 grain, not the shifting barrel from flexing. All barrels flex when yanked/pushed, this is true for the AR-15 as well as any other barrel out there. Taking set, after flexing, is the issue with the MCX Spear-LT/Spear line and I'm willing to bet that has more to do with the handguard screws than the barrel clamp design.

SIG Spear LT (Gen 3 MCX) to 500yds: Practical Accuracy

Different rifle from the first they used for the deflection test, but my guess is that the barrel in this one just likes the ammo they use. You can easily go from rack grade to match accuracy just by finding the right load for a given rifle, but as Henry points out, rack grade is sufficient for practical accuracy out to 500 yards.

Barrel clamp is fine. This flex/set issue is not present in the Virtus, nor LMT’s MRP, only the Spear LT with it’s handguard screws has shown barrel deflection that seems to reset after the first round is fired.

I would agree that the new handguard retention is a poor design, it doesn’t keep the handguard rigid enough to mount a LAM on the end of the rail without worrying about it losing zero, so it doesn’t accomplish its goal anyway.

MCX uses an elegant mount design, but doesn’t pair well with IR devices. Hence why I think the gen 1 MCX, or the original LVAW, were a better choice for that purpose with their longer receiver rails, which again, I figure was part of why they had longer receiver rails to begin with.

Virtus and Spear LT have shortened that forward rail to accommodate the shorter and longer barrels with one receiver; frankly, I think they should’ve just gone with two different receiver lengths, one at LVAW length for 9” or longer barrels, and a Virtus length for the shorter ones.
Link Posted: 5/25/2024 10:05:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Roadblock] [#9]
Originally Posted By rb889:

Barrel clamp is fine. This flex/set issue is not present in the Virtus, nor LMT's MRP, only the Spear LT with it's handguard screws has shown barrel deflection that seems to reset after the first round is fired.

I would agree that the new handguard retention is a poor design, it doesn't keep the handguard rigid enough to mount a LAM on the end of the rail without worrying about it losing zero, so it doesn't accomplish its goal anyway.

View Quote

The two rail screws are 100% the issue.

They should have been flat or oval type and there should have been four of them, two rear and two front of the upper receiver where the +/- is.

My LT fell over, landed on the SF Scout, deflected the shit out of the rail so bad I had to loosen the screws to straighten it out. Was torqued to 60/40..

I bought a ZRC for my Spear 308 and my Spear LT but ultimately decided to not use them and to remove the rail screws from both, problem solved.

If you can accept the limitation of the MCX Spear platform and work around them, they are nice rifles for what they do.
Link Posted: 5/31/2024 6:45:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Is there a recommended source for the Spear LT trigger and safety?
Page / 43
Next Page Arrow Left
MCX: Generation 3/SPEAR LT (Page 43 of 43)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top