Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/1/2022 8:07:36 AM EDT
I built my mom a FAL off a Rhodesian parts kit and this rifle has functioned flawlessly until this past June.

The rifle is short stroking no matter the setting. We've tried a few different kinds of ammo and same thing. I haven't tried it since but what could be causing the issue?

I was thinking maybe try a different gas plug?
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:41:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nvcdl] [#1]
Probably a gas issue.    Make sure the pin that holds the gas tube on hasn't fallen out.

Some of those rhodie kits were very worn.  Might need a new gas tube.  Think they are still available
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 1:45:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I clicked because of "Mom's FAL"

Look carefully at the spring on the piston. Make sure it not worn a grove on the inside. Could cause it to bind even though it looks fine.
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 4:55:11 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KILLERB6] [#3]
Link Posted: 10/1/2022 9:20:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Stahlgewehr762] [#4]
Most likely worn threads on the gas tube causing a gas leak. This is the FAL's "Achilles Heel", but can usually be fixed with a new gas tube. Unless the threads in the gas block are worn; then the fix becomes a bit more involved.

I also think it is very cool that you built a FAL for your Mom, and even cooler that you both enjoy shooting together.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 2:37:26 PM EDT
[#5]
For diagnostic purposes, try a few wraps of teflon tape around the gas tube threads. If it fixes the short-stroke issue, you need a new gas tube.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 3:47:53 PM EDT
[#6]
Any chance the gas plug was installed upside down?
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 11:42:20 PM EDT
[#7]
I had an L1A1 that did that.

Gas block fixing pin?  I think….it’s called?  Came loose. Letting gas vent from that spot.    Also wouldn’t let the gas regulator move 100% in rotation.

Peened it and reinstalled and been fine ever since.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top