Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/4/2024 7:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: konger]
Anyone have one in hand yet? Quality, accuracy and function? I’m not seeing any new YouTube reviews  on it yet. I figured the new Ruger model would be making the YouTube circuit by now. Nobody is talking about them on any forums that I’ve seen. My LGS got one in and called me to let me know. I had my name on a list. He’s saving it till I can get in on Monday and take a look in person. I’m a little weary to throw down the money with nobody chirping about them.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:01:27 PM EDT
[#1]
Same thing with the 30-30 SBL. I just picked one up and checked for reviews…nothing. The good news is that my Ruger-Marlin 1895s and 336 (all stainless models) have been excellent and accurate. Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer on the 1894 in 44…
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 8:51:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Neon_Horse:
Same thing with the 30-30 SBL. I just picked one up and checked for reviews…nothing. The good news is that my Ruger-Marlin 1895s and 336 (all stainless models) have been excellent and accurate. Unfortunately, I have nothing to offer on the 1894 in 44…
View Quote

I’ve checked with several larger dealers in the area and they’ve all said any of the Ruger Marlins are hard to come by and the distributors are trying to stick them with a bunch of slow selling guns just to “earn” a Marlin. I was surprised when I heard about this 1894 coming in to be honest. This dealer must do more business than I think. I’m glad to hear your Ruger experience has been positive. Thanks for chiming in.
Link Posted: 5/4/2024 10:28:30 PM EDT
[#3]
I watched one hang in the wall locally for 3 weeks,  and finally couldn't take it any more.  Picked it up today.   Pretty slick,  NutNFancy has a good review of it.   Feels quality,  real pleased so far but no trigger time yet.  

I came across some 44 special Hornaday critical defense.   I figure out of a rifle, that should make decent self defense round.   What are thoughts on that??

Will update with more of a review when i get to the range.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 10:57:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Seen many of the 30-30 and 45-70 SBL locally, they’ve all looked and felt very nice.  

I’m in the “definitely maybe” camp for a 44, waiting to see one in person.
Link Posted: 5/5/2024 12:11:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: konger] [#5]
Originally Posted By DocGP:
I watched one hang in the wall locally for 3 weeks,  and finally couldn't take it any more.  Picked it up today.   Pretty slick,  NutNFancy has a good review of it.   Feels quality,  real pleased so far but no trigger time yet.  

I came across some 44 special Hornaday critical defense.   I figure out of a rifle, that should make decent self defense round.   What are thoughts on that??

Will update with more of a review when i get to the range.
View Quote

This guy didn’t seem real impressed with the Hornady. Granted it’s out of a 4.5” bbl, but no expansion.
Hornady Critical Defense .45 ACP VS .44 Special Ballistic Test

Link Posted: 5/7/2024 8:54:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By konger:

I’ve checked with several larger dealers in the area and they’ve all said any of the Ruger Marlins are hard to come by and the distributors are trying to stick them with a bunch of slow selling guns just to “earn” a Marlin. I was surprised when I heard about this 1894 coming in to be honest. This dealer must do more business than I think. I’m glad to hear your Ruger experience has been positive. Thanks for chiming in.
View Quote

I was told that by two distributors, when they come in they are going to sell them in package deals.
Link Posted: 5/8/2024 9:32:22 AM EDT
[#7]
They're starting to show up around here.  Going rate seems to be $1100 to $1200, occasionally less.  Looked at a couple of them.  Nicely done piece, attractive wood, metal polishing was well done.  It's one my list but deer season is a ways away.
Link Posted: 5/9/2024 9:27:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By Ameshawki:
They're starting to show up around here.  Going rate seems to be $1100 to $1200, occasionally less.  Looked at a couple of them.  Nicely done piece, attractive wood, metal polishing was well done.  It's one my list but deer season is a ways away.
View Quote

Picked it up today…WOW!!!
You weren’t kidding on the finishing and polishing. This is a top notch operation they got going over in Mayodan. The laminate wood is beautiful and my first non-blued/walnut lever. I was handling it tonight and noticed a bite and then a couple of grey and black splinters in my hand. That’s real cut checkering, not the cheap pressed stuff. I feel like Ruger and I merged as one tonight. Cycling is smooth and tight. Trigger pull feels like around 5-6 lbs, which is about normal for these. I can’t complain too much. The ONLY thing that is kind of bothering me is the diminutive size. This thing looks like a kid’s gun until you pick it up and feel the heft. I get that a .44 only needs 16” to pretty much get to max velocity, but it looks a little funny. I wouldn’t  have objected to another 2” of barrel, no threaded barrel and the same length mag tube. They’ll probably release that next month with my luck.
Link Posted: 5/10/2024 7:11:45 PM EDT
[#9]
No pics?!?!?!?!?
Link Posted: 5/11/2024 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By Furyataurus:
No pics?!?!?!?!?
View Quote

Ha ha, no pic account. I closed mine after all the hacking a couple of years back. I got out several of my Marlins to compare this morning while doing some cleaning and tidying up. The new Ruger’s fit and finish is really top notch! The Remington (2020) is also very good. It does have a few sharp edges internally though and you can feel them just inside the ejection port. The wood and fit and finish on the Remington is equal to or even slightly better overall than the original Marlin, but the Ruger is on another level to be honest. These guns are really worth it!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top