Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/12/2024 7:01:23 PM EDT
Anyone have any suggestions? I know Glock mags or Grease gun mags have a higher capacity. But it would be kind of cool to be able to use the same mags.

AR platform would be great with a mag adapter. But I don’t want the adapter attached to the mag.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:16:28 PM EDT
[#1]
They haven't been produced since the late 90's but the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 used 1911 mags.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 7:45:48 PM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#2]
MechTech obviously

Developing a 9mm 1911 adapter for Ruger PC carbine or Henry Homesteader would be a relatively simple task (except the LRBHO in Ruger, which is a pain in the posterior). Unfortunately, I don't have the free time to do it.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 8:17:29 PM EDT
[#3]
HiPoint threaded 4595 carbine w/ Thingmeister mag catch, runs cans fine, AR stock adapter available, you can set it up to fold as well.
Link Posted: 1/12/2024 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Just run the Colt stick mags.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 12:43:07 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By cschaeff:  Just run the Colt stick mags.
View Quote

In .45 ACP?
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:11:38 AM EDT
[#6]
The Hi Point route with the Thingmaster mag catch sounds interesting. This is intended as a range toy. Anyone have experience with the reliability of the Hi Point?

It would be cool if Kel-Tec made a Sub-2000 in .45. I mean, how hard would it be.

The Marlin camp carbine would be cool but they are currently way overpriced for what they are.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 8:35:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: backbencher] [#7]
After 9 HiPoints amongst friends & family, I finally managed to break a firing pin, cause it's also the ejector.  Mom sent me a new one and I dropped it in last night.

I convert all the ones in the family to 1911 mags and I've only ever had a FTF w/ some underpowered gun show reloads.

That's pistols and rifles; my BIL has the carbine and the new .45 pistol, both threaded, b/c the trust .458 can lives at his house.
Link Posted: 1/13/2024 9:35:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By mak0:
They haven't been produced since the late 90's but the Marlin Camp Carbine in .45 used 1911 mags.
View Quote

I picked up a like new Camp 45 for cheap probably 15 years ago.  I run it with 10 round Chip McCormick mags.  Cool little gun, but even with an extra power recoil spring it launches brass into the next zip code.
Link Posted: 1/14/2024 11:41:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By USMC2111:
I picked up a like new Camp 45 for cheap probably 15 years ago.  I run it with 10 round Chip McCormick mags.  Cool little gun, but even with an extra power recoil spring it launches brass into the next zip code.
View Quote

I think a better approach would be to machine pockets in the bolt and 3D print plastic canisters that fit, fill them with tungsten powder. Entirely too expensive, but uniquely functional and will preserve the gun by not letting it trash itself to pieces.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:28:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By zaitcev:

I think a better approach would be to machine pockets in the bolt and 3D print plastic canisters that fit, fill them with tungsten powder. Entirely too expensive, but uniquely functional and will preserve the gun by not letting it trash itself to pieces.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By zaitcev:
Originally Posted By USMC2111:  I picked up a like new Camp 45 for cheap probably 15 years ago.  I run it with 10 round Chip McCormick mags.  Cool little gun, but even with an extra power recoil spring it launches brass into the next zip code.

I don't know there's enough room in that bolt to do that.  Maybe drill some holes & fill em w/ lead.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:47:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Mech Tec is always my first thought when I hear 1911
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 1:51:28 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By ALASKANFIRE:  Mech Tec is always my first thought when I hear 1911
View Quote

Oddly, it's the only option for an XD mag PCC, which I find surprising.

There was a 1911 AR magwell announced, but I don't think it ever shipped.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 9:27:58 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

In .45 ACP?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By cschaeff:  Just run the Colt stick mags.

In .45 ACP?

Macon’s .45 magazines and adapter are pretty much based off the Colt design. They are awesome if you want Colt like function with .45 holes.

Probably comes down to lack of interest in 1911 adapters. Stern makes adapters for the S&W M&P45. 1911 should be easy, but I don’t think people want to lay out the R&D for an adapter to make an AR with 7-10 round capacity.
Link Posted: 1/15/2024 12:01:06 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By Screwball:
Probably comes down to lack of interest in 1911 adapters. Stern makes adapters for the S&W M&P45. 1911 should be easy, but I don’t think people want to lay out the R&D for an adapter to make an AR with 7-10 round capacity.
View Quote

ProMag sells 1911 pattern 15 round stick and 40 round drum mags.  Back in the 1920's, Baby Face Nelson had a gunsmith convert a 1911 pistol to full auto and make some high capacity stick mags.  Easier to conceal when going into a bank to rob than a Thompson subgun.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:32:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: JohnA4] [#15]
This is the only one I know:

Link Posted: 1/21/2024 9:50:18 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Screwball] [#16]
Originally Posted By SecondAmend:

ProMag sells 1911 pattern 15 round stick and 40 round drum mags.  Back in the 1920's, Baby Face Nelson had a gunsmith convert a 1911 pistol to full auto and make some high capacity stick mags.  Easier to conceal when going into a bank to rob than a Thompson subgun.

MHO, YMMV, etc.
View Quote

Macon Armory .45 Magazines

But end of day, market demand would push development. If people don't want it, it won't be made...
Link Posted: 1/21/2024 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By JohnA4:

https://i.imgur.com/0UXE15M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kVGSjt3.jpg?1
View Quote

A De Lisle carbine. I wonder where one could had?
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 12:25:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: zaitcev] [#18]
Oddly, it's the only option for an XD mag PCC, which I find surprising.
View Quote

The XD mag locks on center, like most Ruger pistol magazines (except Sec9). This means that you must have some kind of tiny rocker and must also be absurdly strong. Big shops just MIM it, but I'm afraid such state of the art metalwork is beyond Fraurem or Stern. Well, it can be machined from a sold chunk of steel and then heat treated. The resulting adapter will retail for $300.

UPDATE: Actually, now that I think about it, what I said above applies to Ruger PCC, but it may be possible to have a large latch on center in an AR9 adapter for XD magazines. Yeah, I don't know why nobody tried it yet. I guess one problem is it's a completely different layout from any other magazine, so you cannot share a general design with e.g. P320 or Glock.
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 10:33:41 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By Sixgun357:

A De Lisle carbine. I wonder where one could had?
View Quote

I made it myself.

Link Posted: 1/26/2024 12:30:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: kilrain] [#20]
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:18:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Pretty much what I was looking for, a range toy that uses the same mags as my 1911.
Link Posted: 1/29/2024 6:20:18 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By JohnA4:

https://i.imgur.com/0UXE15M.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/kVGSjt3.jpg?1
View Quote

I have an approved form 1 and all the parts to make it a reality.

The only thing I’m short of is the time to finish the project.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top