Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2023 4:09:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: jtb33]
I'm not a FAL guy; I've had a few, but I'm looking to trade into one and got an offer.  I want to make sure that the value is inline with my trade.  

What is the appx value of this rifle?

The guy with the FAL describes it as:

Refinished Imbel kit with Imbel type 3 receiver.

Reparked, original chrome lined barrel, correct headspace, straight (laser aligned) sights.

Bore condition 0 meaning new on gauge
Go gauge=yes, nogo gauge=no

Has US made cocking handle
Israeli copy with functional forward assist
Improved wider style mag release european made
FSE Hammer, Trigger  and Sear for better trigger pull

Only parts on an Imbel FAL that are numbered are bolt and bolt carrier. They are matching.
View Quote

Pic:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 2/15/2023 4:30:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Unless I trst fired and verified headspace. Zero.
If it ran and was accurate 1200 to 1500.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:03:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Yup 1200 or so local sale

Put it up on GB and you might get a lot more - people are paying stupid prices for kit guns
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 5:18:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By nvcdl:
Yup 1200 or so local sale

Put it up on GB and you might get a lot more - people are paying stupid prices for kit guns
View Quote

He's trying to get a fal
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:01:24 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By vengarr:

He's trying to get a fal
View Quote

Would be interesting to know how much the seller is asking.....
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 8:07:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By nvcdl:

Would be interesting to know how much the seller is asking.....
View Quote
It's a potential trade - not a sale, so I want to know how to value it to make sure what I am providing is equal to its value (eg, do I need to give more, or ask for more).

There is a thread here saying that Imbel receivers alone are fetching $1200 on GB, so I am confused on the values on FAL's like this one.
Link Posted: 2/15/2023 9:23:18 PM EDT
[#6]
$1200-1400. If you can inspect it in-person, bring some headspace gauges.
Link Posted: 2/19/2023 3:27:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Stripped Imbel uppers are going for 650-950 on GB.  Last Imbel kit went at 935 on GB.  Plus assembly cost and US parts (if any were used).  

Built rifles run 1500-2000 range.  

It has been true a while that built rifles often are worth less than the separate parts and receiver value with FALs.  

I would check headspace, but it is easy as hell to fix if needed, just change the locking shoulder.  So if it is functional, I would not over worry about it, especially if you can do a rudimentary inspection of fired brass from it, or check whether a live round with tape on the back goes into battery or not (you need to know how to check the HS on an FAL first, but you might be able to sort of check it without gauges, then actually gauge it later).

Barrel wear- well who the hell knows what it really is- the gauge the seller is using is likely for a .308 M14 or .30-06 M1 type rifle.  Unless he knows exactly where a NEW Imbel barrel reads, he is likely full of it claiming it reads as 0 on the gauge.  You might be able to find some info online about it, but I can’t recall exactly how most surplus Imbel kits gauged.  But I have seen a “like new” kit with a “gauges near new” barrel show up with a well worn barrel that actually gauged as well used, despite visual inspection, so beware there.  I have gauged a lot of FAL barrel but can’t recall off the top of my head where to read a gauge line at on the FAL.  

Some guy on here flipped out over a SCAR 16 barrel gauging as “half worn out”, the idiot was using the gauge wrong, and the first 15 replies never even considered the fact that he was using it wrong, so that is a misunderstood thing for sure.

Most Imbels will have pretty good barrels in general.  (Their ammo budget must have been lacking for training.)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top