Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2023 6:09:17 PM EDT
My thoughts on the Sig 556!
Shootability 01: Sig 556 vs AR-15, which rifle comes out on top?
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I definitely enjoyed the overview of the platform. I have a 556xi SBR that is a joy to shoot and has been very reliable. I do wonder why their swiss counterparts never caught on as well as many of the other rifles designed during that period. Looking forward to the next videos in your series.
Link Posted: 10/27/2023 6:21:06 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Tracer2010:
I definitely enjoyed the overview of the platform. I have a 556xi SBR that is a joy to shoot and has been very reliable. I do wonder why their swiss counterparts never caught on as well as many of the other rifles designed during that period. Looking forward to the next videos in your series.
View Quote

Sig 556 is one of the rifles like the Beryl I wish I had purchased 10 years ago.

Its funny back in 2007 or 08, Sig came to FT Bragg to put on a weapons demonstration. They brought out early versions of 320 pistols and the Sig 556, we all laughed when Sig reps stated they wanted to be "known for being more than just a pistol company".

Now of course they are crushing it with military contracts.
Link Posted: 10/31/2023 7:45:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Great review. We really appreciate your input on these forums sir.

I bought a JDI 551, with a 16” barrel. I first laid eyes on a Sig 550/PE 90 as a boy back in the early 1990s and always wanted one. I have to say while it is an incredibly accurate rifle using diopter sights, it does not hold a candle to the AR-15 platform in terms of usability and function if one had to carry it for duty or war.

I put a B&T handguard on mine, and the trigger is far better with the Shooting Sight trigger and hammer. However, the rubber dust cover that is riveted in place, lack of a threaded barrel (at least on the ones imported here), the known issues shooting 69-77 gr SMKs (extractors breaking) leaves much to be desired.

Having said, I like mine. I got my “fetish” out of my system now. I will be keeping it until the day I expire for certain.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top