Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/10/2023 10:37:34 PM EDT
…thoughts, advice, and input appreciated.  I’m trying to talk myself into buying an Sig MPX Copperhead.  My local shop has the newest version (I think).  The one I looked over had what appeared to be an A2/birdcage style flash hider.

I really liked how the pistol felt in my hand.  The manual of arms felt familiar as well.

The shop is asking $1600 for an example.

I already own a few 9mm pistols (Glock 26, Glock 19, and a S&W Shield).  I don’t “need” another 9mm.

This would simply be a fun fun for me.  I would suppress it eventually (currently own a .22lr and 5.56 suppressor with a .30 cal suppressor in jail).

I can’t decide if I want to burn my money on one of these neat guns or look for something else.

Y’all’s thoughts are appreciated.

Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:13:22 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#1]
A2 flashhider -- so I am assuming the black Copperhead with the 4.5" bbl, and not the shorter FDE Copperhead with the 3.5" barrel?

$1600 seems to be well below the prices I have seen on those -- typically $1900 or so around the southwest.

I like the 3.5" FDE model... tiny little subgun.  But I don't think I could pass up a black one at only $1600.
Link Posted: 9/11/2023 12:25:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Kent:
A2 flashhider -- so I am assuming the black Copperhead with the 4.5" bbl, and not the shorter FDE Copperhead with the 3.5" barrel?

$1600 seems to be well below the prices I have seen on those -- typically $1900 or so around the southwest.

I like the 3.5" FDE model... tiny little subgun.  But I don't think I could pass up a black one at only $1600.
View Quote

Yup, it is the black version for certain.

Based on my research the price in my local shop is lower than what I can find online.  I have access to the Army Airforce Base Exchange and they list the same model for over $2k.

I don’t know if I need a $1600 9mm SBR.  Well, I don’t need one…but I do want one.

Link Posted: 9/20/2023 4:17:32 PM EDT
[#3]
You want the K Copperhead that mlok rail slots.
Link Posted: 2/8/2024 11:46:26 PM EDT
[#4]
I saved up my change and bought the 4.5” barreled MPX w the A2ish flash hider.

I really like how it looks.  It shoots fine (for a really big/heavy pistol in 9mm) :)

I’m going to SBR it and pick up a SIG collapsible stock for it.

So far I really like it and it seems reliable (with the few rounds of Tula I’ve shot through it).

Hopefully to doesn’t take long to get through the SBR process.

Enjoy!
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 8:19:42 AM EDT
[#5]
I have the older Copperhead that I converted to 22tcm9r.  

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:38:06 AM EDT
[#6]
The MPX are my fav PCC’s.
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 10:41:27 PM EDT
[#7]
I don’t think the Sig collapsible stock will fit my Copperhead.  If true, that is frustrating :(
Link Posted: 2/10/2024 11:59:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#8]
Originally Posted By CPTCARL:
I don’t think the Sig collapsible stock will fit my Copperhead.  If true, that is frustrating :(
View Quote

If it is the older Copperhead -- the add-on Sig collapsible stock will not fit it, because it has built-in mounts for the factory collapsible brace.   But the newer copperheads do not seem to have that issue anymore -- at least the ones I've seen and the copperhead currently shown on SIG's website no longer shows the built-in mounts that prevent adding the 1913 rail mounted brace.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:50:05 AM EDT
[#9]

If it is the older Copperhead -- the add-on Sig collapsible stock will not fit it, because it has built-in mounts for the factory collapsible brace.   But the newer copperheads do not seem to have that issue anymore -- at least the ones I've seen and the copperhead currently shown on SIG's website no longer shows the built-in mounts that prevent adding the 1913 rail mounted brace.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Many thanks for that feedback!  The collapsible stock I bought from Sig should arrive this Tuesday.  My MPX is a newer version of the copperhead.  Mine is black, has the 4.5” barrel, and has slots milled into the end of the upper (not Mlok compatible).  I plan to call Sig on Monday to see if the stock I have on the way will fit.  With all the above said, the Sig website indicates the stock will fit the MPX.  Only in the review section for the stock I ordered does it come up that the collapsible stock will not fit on the copperhead 🤷‍♂️
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:10:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#10]
Many thanks for that feedback!  The collapsible stock I bought from Sig should arrive this Tuesday.  My MPX is a newer version of the copperhead.  Mine is black, has the 4.5” barrel, and has slots milled into the end of the upper (not Mlok compatible).  I plan to call Sig on Monday to see if the stock I have on the way will fit.  With all the above said, the Sig website indicates the stock will fit the MPX.  Only in the review section for the stock I ordered does it come up that the collapsible stock will not fit on the copperhead 🤷‍♂️
View Quote

This pic is of the latest copperhead is from SIGs website: (sorry for the low quality pic -- doing this from my phone)

The new style copperhead rear receiver looks to be just like the regular MPX, so the add-on collapsible stock/brace should fit.

Below is the old-style not-compatible copperhead rear receiver -- see how the rear part of the receiver (red arrow) is elongated and has cast-in tubes to accommodate the OE brace rods?

This old style will NOT fit the add-on collapsible brace/stock that attaches to the vertical rear rail.

Which one looks like your copperhead (ignoring the color, of course)?
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:34:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: CPTCARL] [#11]
Mine looks like the top/FDE pic you shared.  Mine has the groves in the upper, but no tubes like the bottom pick.  Thanks for sharing and clarifying man!  

The tubes on the older version of the copperhead are probably why someone in the review section on Sig’s website said the collapsible stock would not fit on the copperhead.  Mine “fo sho” doesn’t have those tubes.  Again, many thanks!
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 2:45:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Kent] [#12]
Mine looks like the top/FDE pic you shared.  Mine has the groves in the upper, but no tubes like the bottom pick.  Thanks for sharing and clarifying man!  

The tubes on the older version of the copperhead are probably why someone in the review section on Sig’s website said the collapsible stock would not fit on the copperhead.  Mine “fo sho” doesn’t have those tubes.  Again, many thanks!
View Quote

You're welcome -- you should be good to go!

Some advice: the grooves milled in the MPX upper receiver are just barely bigger than the diameter of the rods for the collapsible brace/stock.  Before you tighten down the set screw that fixes the brace to the receiver, make sure you finely adjust the vertical position of the brace mount on the receiver rail... if it is slightly too low or slightly too high, the rails will rub the receiver when extending or retracting the brace.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 9:27:21 AM EDT
[#13]
As mentioned above the old version has the tubes for the brace.  Sig did make a stock for the copperhead but it is hard to find.  I found this one on ebay brand new in the package a while back.
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 1:32:22 PM EDT
[#14]
This was a revision (perhaps temporary, who knows) that sig snuck in a while back apparently.

I have the older one with the mounts built in.  But I also have the factory collapsible stock that fits it.  

I’m torn on how I feel about this.  The built in mounts and the collapsible stock give you the shorter and lighter package.  But one could argue the LOP with the collapsible stock is too short (ok for me, but not ideal.)

I have another MPX as well, 8” (keymod initially) so I can still have the other collapsible version if I wanted.  Smart move in Sigs part to save costs.
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:13:13 PM EDT
[#15]

You're welcome -- you should be good to go!

Some advice: the grooves milled in the MPX upper receiver are just barely bigger than the diameter of the rods for the collapsible brace/stock.  Before you tighten down the set screw that fixes the brace to the receiver, make sure you finely adjust the vertical position of the brace mount on the receiver rail... if it is slightly too low or slightly too high, the rails will rub the receiver when extending or retracting the brace.
View Quote

Will do, thanks again!
Link Posted: 2/11/2024 6:17:19 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By azscooby:
This was a revision (perhaps temporary, who knows) that sig snuck in a while back apparently.

I have the older one with the mounts built in.  But I also have the factory collapsible stock that fits it.  

I’m torn on how I feel about this.  The built in mounts and the collapsible stock give you the shorter and lighter package.  But one could argue the LOP with the collapsible stock is too short (ok for me, but not ideal.)

I have another MPX as well, 8” (keymod initially) so I can still have the other collapsible version if I wanted.  Smart move in Sigs part to save costs.
View Quote

It has been challenging for me to keep up with the various versions and iterations of the MPX (K, Copperhead, and Copperhead K)….at least I think those are the current iterations (not including the older longer barreled version).

Once I confirm the brace fits I’m going to start the supressor process.  I picked up an Omega 30 last week (started the paperwork summer of 2023).  I wish those wait times would get shorter form form 4 stuff.
Link Posted: 2/17/2024 8:33:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Here is an interesting bit of info.  I submitted my eForm 1 last Wednesday. I received the approved eForm 1 today.  That’s nuts!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top